Life around the Jones house has been anything but boring this fall. You have been keeping Mommy and Daddy so busy! It has been amazing watching you learn and develop lately. I can hardly believe how much you're changing. Here are twenty things about your twentieth month:
1) You dribbled a soccer ball across a friend's backyard. Then you stepped on the ball and got your first little sports injury. You limped for a couple of minutes, but you didn't cry.
2) You learned to say "please." The second day after you picked up this word, you were whining because you wanted something. All of a sudden you stopped mid-whine and said "peesh" because you remembered that you had a new way to ask for something.
3) You learned to throw the basketball into the hoop. You have long since been able to tip it in, but we are amazed that you can make an overhand shot.
4) Three days ago you said "No Mommy" and then you combined the words into "Nommy," which you have been saying repeatedly.
5) Yesterday you tried to say your name for the first time. I tried to get you to say "Jacks" and you said "Dacks."
6) That same day, you saw your old pal Ella across the room at church and you said her name without any prompting! We all screamed with excitement.
7) You had your first real live stomach bug. It was so sad.
8) In the past couple of months you started saying animal sounds like meooooow, neigh, tweet tweet, moo, baa, and squeak. You still don't want to do the dog sound, but that's okay.
9) This fall you also learned to identify many body parts like fingers, toes, eyes, hair, teeth, tongue (your favorite), elbows, feet, knees, ears, and nose. You're very much obsessed with your bellybutton.
10) You finally started repeating after Daddy and me anytime we teach you a new word. It's been so much fun! We got really excited when you learned the word "Bible." One day you were pointing at my Bible and I told you what it was. Then you went and got your little Bible, brought it to me, and told me what it was.
11) You've been more affectionate with Mommy lately and you've been saying her name so sweetly. She's totally loving it.
12) You started puckering up really good for kisses and you give them out liberally. In fact, one night at DoubleDave's Pizza, you and Ella kissed each other over and over. I will always laugh that your first kiss was with a big bite of pizza crust in your mouth. You guys were so happy with yourselves.
13) Your current nicknames are The Mister, The Sir, Sirmin the Wormin (like Sherman the Wormin from The Backyardigans, I think), Bubba, and Monkey. Sirmin is the only new one we've had for a while.
14) You learned to hop and jump.
15) You sometimes stand there with your hands on the waist of your pants, which are eventually pushed down several inches. When I lift up your shirt in the back, I see your hiney, all bright and shiny. What can I say, but that you honestly come from a long line of plumbers.
16) One day when Mommy tried to take you out of the bathtub, you laid all the way down on your stomach in the water in protest. You decided you liked that and now you swim around in the tub like a little fish. You're not afraid to put your head under the faucet or to put your face down in the water.
17) You started fighting me when I try to brush your teeth.
18) After you got sick, you would only eat bread and crackers. Mommy was very scared that her good eater was gone forever. But now you are back to eating almost anything I put in front of you. You really enjoy chicken strips from Chick-fil-a, but if I'm not looking you stuff half the thing in your mouth at once.
19) You learned to say "Pappaw" and "Bibby," which we think might turn into "BeBe."
20) You have continued to be a joyful, smiley, people-loving little boy. You have very strong opinions about things, but you generally wear a big grin and you don't shy away from making eye contact with strangers and trying to win their attention.
What a special soul you are, my son! I feel so blessed that I get to be your Mommy. I love you with every bit of my heart and more. I see so many strengths about your personality, and I pray that God will mold each one into something great for His kingdom. I know that He is going to use you in very special ways.
September and October pictures
This was the day I played in the sprinkler and ate some dirt. While Mommy was grabbing her camera from inside the house, I ate one serving too many and I threw it up. But I bounced back quickly and decided to go visit my neighbor's driveway, which I love for some reason.
I made it!
Then I got a bath and felt so clean.
My monkey and I used to be about the same size.
I'm serious about eating.
Thank God, my belly button is still there!
The great Pants Migration.