Even though I am still trying to figure things out in my new circumstances, let it not be said that I don't adore my new house. God was so generous to our family! I have to praise and thank Him! Here are 20 things I love about my new house - 10 outside and 10 inside.
1) It's in a family-friendly neighborhood.
2) It's absolutely beautiful, and in a style I have loved for a long time.
3) It has a front porch for my rocking chairs.
4) It has a back patio that's big enough for a table and chairs.
5) It has St. Augustine grass that feels good to walk on. That kind of grass is a lot easier to have in Houston than in North Texas because of the abundance of dew each morning. We had it at our Irving house but we could never water it enough to keep it looking good. Plus, I think we had some kind of bug conspiring against us.
6) There is really no vegetation in the backyard besides grass, which is nice because it is very low maintenance. Curt wants to landscape it but I'm thinking less is more, particularly with a big dog.
7) I love every single house on our street. I would have taken any one of them.
8) There are beautiful trees all around our neighborhood.
9) We have cute mailboxes that all look the same.
10)The porch already has hooks for hanging baskets, even though I don't have any yet.
11)I have a kitchen island and it is w-o-n-d-e-r-f-u-l.
12)We have a remote control gas fireplace. It's very easy to use and with the way our house is laid out, it heats the upstairs very quicly.
13)We have lots of big windows. (I'm having to deal with curtains for them though and it is killing me. Anyone in my area have the anointing for that?)
14)When we moved in, we had an electric range that had seen better days. I was really bummed about it because I loved my gas range in Irving so much. When we removed it from its space, we saw that we had a gas connection! Yeah! I was so happy!
15)I have a big garden tub that I love. I did adore my old clawfoot tub, though.
16)We have more than one bathroom.
17)I even have my own sink now! And the bathroom is actually big enough to get ready in! You cannot imagine how small our other one was. You could not take more than one step in it.
18)Closets. Storage closets. Clothes closets. Linen closets. Thank You, Lord.
19)The staircase is carpeted and has a landing, which is perfect for Jackson.
20)I have, for the first time, an office and a proper dining room! And Curtis, bless him Lord, let me pick out exactly what I wanted to go in those rooms.
This is my desk. We got similar chairs at Ikea for $30. (This is not a picture of my actual office, but I'd love it to look just like this!)
And this is our dining table, except we have a darker finish.
We had an empty guest room and we'd been wanting to get a king size bed. (Sharing a queen size when you're 8 months pregnant will do that to you.) So now was the perfect time to move our current furniture to the guest room and get some new things for our master bedroom. After my little desk and dining table shopping spree, I could not bear to give Pottery Barn any more of my money, so I picked out some fun bedroom furniture at Ikea. It might not last as long, but it's super cute. Here are some of the pieces we got.
The crowning glory of it all is a little thing we like to call "The Westin Heavenly Bed." We went to buy a new mattress and, behold, it was revealed to us in a loud voice that we were resting on heavenly boxsprings. And lo, it was the same bed you can sleep on at any Westin Hotel for a couple hundred bucks a night. Sold! It is totally heavenly.
I ordered this really cute bedding online but it was 5 shades brighter in real life than in the picture. Dern. It has to be returned but I have no idea what we're going to get instead. Curt said absolutely nothing floral. You might need a microscope, but you can see it below.