Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Actions Speak Louder

Once upon a time there was a group of missions interns who served together during the long Houston summers at First Baptist Church. They spent those sweltering months living together in tight quarters, sleeping many nights in a row on shared air mattresses, working out together at Memorial Park, showering in the CLC, making lots of phone calls, helping Tropical Storm Allison victims, preparing lodging sites for youth groups to stay in (AKA cleaning bathrooms), praying over the city from the top floor of the Chase building downtown, driving back and forth to various airports, being poured into by mentors, and helping revitalize inner city churches by hosting mission teams.

Within a span of a few summers, at least five married couples emerged from those intern groups. Having bonded through serving Christ together, they continued living that out in their marriages. One of those couples was Amber and Vernon Burger.

From the start, the Burgers had big dreams of impacting Africa together. When I think back on my college years I can remember all sorts of confessions of big dreams by myself and the people around me. When I think of the Burgers the first thing that comes to mind is the fact that THEY DID IT! They did what they said they were going to do.

The Burgers have a ministry called His Voice Global through which they have founded two self-sustaining orphanages in southern Sudan. These orphanages not only nurture children, but employ widows and disciple pastors. This ministry is equipping the Sudanese church to care for orphans. (This year they also branched into India and are supporting a boys home there. Awesome!)

A month ago you all went crazy (seriously crazy) buying hand held radios for $20 each to share the Gospel in Sudan. I heard from several friends at Aid Sudan and they were incredibly blessed by your partnership.

Because I know of your generosity, I wanted to pass along the latest news from the Burgers. His Voice Global is raising money to build a third orphanage in Sudan. If you'd like to help, you can download the hip-hop song "Actions Speak Louder" on iTunes for 99 cents. (John Piper makes an appearance, y'all!) They are hoping for 100,000 downloads. Of course, if you'd like to give more than 99 cents, you can check out this page on their web site. You'll see that Living Proof Ministries (that's my mama's ministry) is one of their partners. We really believe in what His Voice Global is doing.

Here's where you can get the song.


10 comments:

Aunt_Nette said...

toposafamily.com


this is the family I am supporting in southern Sudan.

Aunt_Nette said...

praise be to God for Shannon and Carrie Lewis serving the Toposa people in southern Sudan.

Leanne said...

It's always amazing to me how God times things. I'll definitely buy this song to support the cause in Sudan. I recently read a novel by Shannon Van Roekel called Desert Fire (available at Amazon) because she is an old friend from the town I live in and I wanted to support her. The setting is Darfur, Sudan and the story revolves around the atrocities occuring there... I had no idea. I thought as I read it, why don't I know about this!! Amazing that we can live in this information age and be blind to the despicable condition of others across the globe. I've actually been wondering how I could get her book "out there" so others could also hear about the horrible genocide in Sudan. I don't have a blog myself so have been relying on word of mouth....nobody that I have talked to yet knew of the conditions there. This book was definitely an easy read/huge eye opener for me and is recommended. I will never stop being totally amazed and absolutely loving how God works on our hearts and then once we are tender, opens the door to opportunity. Thanks for sharing this ministry and their need. God bless. Leanne

The Reardon's said...

Sweet post Amanda!! Brought back some fun memories!!

Amie said...

I love missionaries! We just had our yearly Missions Conference @ church it was awesome.

Marla Taviano said...

Off to buy the song right now! We just went to a concert last week and got to hang out with Lecrae and Tedashii and everybody backstage during meals and devotions and everything. They are on fire for Jesus. Soooooo cool.

Marla Taviano said...

Gabe and I just listened to the song. We love it! Thanks for the tip--I'll help spread the word!

Amie said...

Leanne and all:
Missionaries Tim Scott and Will Decker document their own experences as missionaries and have spent quite a bit of time in Sudan, Rowanda and Darfur. Their t.v. program is amazing. I also was aghast at the things happening around the world I was unaware of. The program plays on TBN on Saturday nights. This is their website http://www.traveltheroad.com/

Kara Akins said...

Awesome! Would love to help out.

Jeannie (HAPPY HEART) said...

Beautiful!! I love the friendships that are bonded through the working of the Holy Spirit. ( They are so special! )

How exciting to see the dreams that the Lord places in our heart become reality. Oh, Jesus may we not shrink back from following you!

PS: Our family just got a letter from our little boy, Victor from Guatemala. He is at the Incemsario de Oreo Student Center. He is adorable :) Thank you!