Friday, September 02, 2011

It's Annabeth's Turn

Annabeth was really bummed when Jackson started school and she didn't. That morning as we walked out the door, she said, "Where's my pack-pack!?!?" and I sensed the potential for a meltdown. We had to break the news that her school didn't start for another week.

I completely expected Annabeth to be devastated that her brother was gone all day, but she does not seem to mind. She likes having the whole house and all the toys to herself. I thought she might be bored and therefore more of a handful, but that has not been the case.

It took two days to learn that the first hour after Jackson gets home from school is volatile. The power struggle between my kids is something to behold. Brother wants to tell sister what to do and what she can and cannot play with. Homegirl is no longer having it. For now, I'm trying to avoid the power struggle by having Jackson go straight into the game room to watch a movie and rest. If Annabeth can be calm and sweet, she can join him.

I've enjoyed getting out and doing things with Annabeth that I would not normally do with two kids in tow. The grocery store isn't too bad if I can bribe her with a Dum Dum to sit in the cart. For some reason she really resists the carts.

On Wednesday we got to spend some girl time with my sister. We picked up lunch from Zoe's Kitchen and took it back to her adorable house. (I had the chicken roll ups - so yummy!) We had a sweet time together. I still get giddy about having spontaneous sister dates.

Annabeth dropped her nap the minute we moved her into her big girl bed. I'm still holding out a little hope that it might come back. Last weekend Curt got to her nap both days, but when Monday came she refused to sleep again. I'd had visions of taking a long nap every single day while she slept and I was really disillusioned when this happened. Once I accepted that she was not going to sleep, I turned down the monitor in her room and I slept anyway. (It seems like the ongoing theme lately is Mama's tired.)

A couple of days ago, I thought I heard Annabeth yelling "Poo poo!" during her rest time, which sent me running up the stairs at the speed of light. I opened the door to find her staring at her leg and crying "Boo boo! My boo boo hurts. Kiss it, Mommy." Upon inspection, I found that this boo boo was actually pizza sauce.

Annabeth went back to mother's day out on Tuesday morning. It was nice not to be nervous or emotional about it at all. Although I did get a little lump in my throat when I picked her up and we walked past Jackson's old classroom. It was weird not having him there.

This is our fourth year at this preschool and I feel like an old pro now. I remember my first day to take Jackson at age 2.5. I was a couple of months pregnant and just getting past the morning sickness. I had on some frumpy workout clothes-slash-pajamas and no makeup, but all the other moms were dressed up and perfectly put together. I was mortified. I never really saw that happen again, but I realized the irony on Tuesday when I put on a sun dress to take Annabeth. But it was only because it's been melt-your-face-off hot (truly, it was like 110 degrees) and nothing else would do. And I was meeting friends for lunch at a tea room.

Annabeth's teachers are incredibly warm and kind. Yesterday one of them got down on her knees and welcomed AB with a hug. There are lots of little girls in her class, as opposed to last year when she was 1 of 3. It is a very ethnically diverse group and I'm glad about that.

Here's the sis before school. She looked so cute.



She reminded me of a turtle with her big ole back pack.






After school we had our third annual Back to School play date with Missy and her kiddos.



Cookie cake!




Ellison and Annabeth put on princess shoes and started jumping up and down. We think they might have a future in tap dancing.






27 comments:

Lauren said...

PRECIOUS PRECIOUS PRECIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Your daughter's hair has gotten so long. My little ones love each other but love having the place to themselves when the other sibling is gone.

Marc and Charity said...

Cookie cakes are my love language. Eat some for me please.

Sandy said...

This means even more to me now that I'm teaching First Friends Preschool at our church on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I got down on my knees to greet my students, too.
Your children are very precious. Thank you so much for sharing!

The Andlers said...

my 2.5 year old has dropped her naps too now that she is in a big bed. so what do you have her do in her room? lock the door, stay in bed, play? I have a 6 month old, so we are struggling with how to keep her in her room and quiet while I do other things with the baby or around the house. My husband can also get her nap, but not me. boo hoo! we start preschool next week. i think it will be good for both of us. I love reading her stories.

aF said...

So cute!

Molly said...

Oh good gravy - you could not write a story funnier than reality...I darn near lost it when you brought up, 'homegirl is no longer having it.' I thought of freedom, nope she has had the freedom and she is not going back. And the pizza sauce slayed me. Oh reality, GOD knew!

What a fun group of friends you have, it is a true blessing!

Mary H. said...

SOOOOOO Cute!!!

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

Annabeth is a DOLL !! Period !

Church Lady said...

That is so sweet. AB's hair is getting so long.

Dionna said...

Your daughter has to be the cutest dressed little girl I've ever seen. Simply adorable. I could scoop her up. How do you not just love the stuffins right out of her??? :)

Missy said...

Love our sweet tradition!

Bobbie said...

Annabeth is just adorable! I can't believe she would ever give you a bit of trouble!! ;-).

Erica said...

What a CUTIE!!

Lisa said...

I totally stole your idea for end-of-school and beginning-of-school treats. I got the kids a cookie cake with a beach scene for the end of school, and I'm going to get one of our grocery store's incredible (funny, I read back over that and I swear it said 'inedible') bakery cakes for the start of school (next Wednesday). It goes without saying, but your kids are completely adorable!

Shellie Paparazzo said...

She is soooo darling! I love it! Wish I'd had friends like this when mine were little!

Liz said...

awww we have that backpack! i love it!

Bear Girl said...

Oh my word, that last picture of the girls is too precious for words. What gorgeous Gifts from God...and can they work the camera! You're a good mom, Amanda. Blessings to you. Xoxo, Genah

DgsandBjsParents said...

If I only had the money and the time. It is funny how you worry about so much stuff. I have my kids 24 hours a day 7 days a week. I find myself at a loss without them.

Skubaliscious said...

Glad to know I'm not the only one to use dum dums to get a daughter to sit in a cart!

Kristen said...

Oh, she's just darling friend!

Lindsee said...

They are such cute little friends! Love it!

Meghan said...

Enjoy this new season with your kiddo's! One of the things I love about being a mom is that every season has it's joys and struggles. I have a 7 year old and a 7 week old. When the new baby came, I thought, this stage is soooo easy. Then the sleep deprivation hit. My bff's son is getting married in about 9 months and she is watching her son leave his mother, and cleave his soon to be wife. Joys and struggles all wrapped up in one package -- that's motherhood

Shelli Littleton said...

Annabeth's hair is so gorgeous!

"The" Mrs. Fancy Pants said...

Your daughter is such a cutie pie! I love her outfit! What a fun season in your life!

"The" Mrs. Fancy Pants said...

Your daughter is such a cutie pie! What a cute outfit! Enjoy this new season in your lives! How fun!

Kari said...

Dear Amanda,

I know this Sunday is a big day for you....I am sending up prayers on your behalf and sending you lots of blessings as you prepare to open the doors of Bayou City Fellowship!

I can not wait to read about it - may you feel God's presence every day, and every hour, leading up to Sunday, and may you continue to feel Him every day after that as you continue to lead His people! You and your husband are awesome!

Kari