Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Is it Bedtime Yet?

I've lost my mojo. It may take a list to get me going again.

1) I reached my goal weight and got a little gold star charm at WW. I really should have it put on the charm bracelet that I'm holding onto for Annabeth. Look, baby! This is when Mommy lost all the weight you put on her body! I'd also like to show it to my OB who encouraged me to have fun and eat more during the last month of my pregnancy.

2) We had a great Mother's Day weekend. We had lots of time with fun friends on Friday and Saturday. I was going to take the kids to the pool but the weather cooled off and I thought better of it. Hopefully this weekend it will be nice enough to go. On Sunday we went to church and then had brunch at a hotel with my parents and grandparents.

While I was waiting for my omelet to be made, four boys came running up to the bread display right next to me. They grabbed as many hard rolls as they could fit in their arms. I didn't want to be that mom who got onto someone else's kids, but in hindsight a gentle, "Does your mommy know you're getting that many rolls?" might have gone a long way. The boys ran over to the extensive koi ponds in the hotel and started chucking the rolls into the water. There were about ten of them floating on top. Employees started rushing over to stop the boys and then they had to get on their hands and knees and fish them out. I don't know if they ever spoke to their parents. I was trying to mind my own business, but there was that really self-righteous part of me that wanted to see them get in big trouble. Who lets their boys run around a large brunch buffet at a nice hotel? Really, people?

My mom took Tuesday off, so Annabeth and I spent the day with her. We went to the Galleria to find some specific things we need for our Israel trip. We both bought some hideous sandals that will be good for walking in. I'm trying to break them in, so if you see me out and about in them, please don't hate. Later we went to pick up Jackson from school and then took the kids to get frozen yogurt. I always get strawberries, blueberries, and a few chocolate chips in vanilla. I sampled the "tart" flavor one time and it was horrendous. I couldn't shake the feeling that I'd eaten sour milk. GROSS!

Today we've just been hanging out at home. Annabeth has had a very upset stomach for two days and has dropped her second nap. Jackson is driving me up the walls. He has plenty to do outside but he doesn't want to do it alone. So Annabeth and I went out there and sat on the hammock they got me for Mother's Day. (I've always wanted one!) My hope was that he would swing or jump on the trampoline and get some energy out, but he just wanted to sit in the hammock with us. I finally gave in. I was laying in such a way to balance us, Annabeth was resting with her head on my chest, and Jackson was flopping and twisting around like a fish that my dad caught and dropped in the bottom of the boat. It didn't quite work. There was a really nice breeze though.

I just realized that my list turned into something else. I'm going to leave it like this - two points and a million paragraphs - because it's awesome. Well, I am about 57 minutes past my tea time, so I shall go and render myself caffeinated. Adios.

20 comments:

Rhonda said...

More times than not I have been that mom who said "Does your mama know...."? I always blamed the teacher in me:) Or, as you put it, my strong sense of justice.

Anonymous said...

That is interesting about Jackson not wanting to play by himself. My 4-yr-old boy is going through the same thing, and it's DRIVING ME CRAZY!!! I have to literally force him to go play by himself! Once he goes, he's fine, but it takes so much whining and crying to get him to go! I'm glad to hear he's not the only one going through this stage. Thanks!

Portia said...

You? Self Rightgeous? When you are so superior having all the knowledge and insight of a mother with a 5 year old and a 1 year old. You tell them!

Heather said...

Girl, I have been asking myself the same question all day, is it bedtime yet? I hope you are enjoying that hammock, that sounds so nice!!

Bobbie said...

It's amazing the number of children we've seen running around in restaurants! We know a couple of manager's that say that's one of the most dangerous parts of being a server. If a child runs into them and they drop a tray of HOT food and/or glass on them the children could be seriously injured! If they had to take your 'walk of shame', maybe they would sit still for a little while longer! You're too cute!

Hope you were able to enjoy your tea! You'll be able to 'sorta' relax on your trip.

Lauren said...

I can so relate to sitting in a hammock (or anywhere) with a flopping child.

Also, we know a guy here who is doing his Ph.D. at Brandeis on the hiking trails in Israel. He and his wife are the sweetest, godliest, most fun people, and you'd love them. If you want to talk to someone about hiking trails in Israel, I can hook you up.

Marla Taviano said...

I sent my girls to bed early and let them read. I am SO over this day. I have not been nice, and while I feel twinges of remorse, I'm not to full-blown repentance yet. Ugh.

When are you going to Israel?? Is it to tape something with your mom? HOW EXCITING!!!

katiegfromtennessee said...

Congrats on meeting your goal weight! That is fantastic!:) Good Mommy's day for you? Alright:) You had an eventful weekend again, your adventures are entertaining to read:):) Oh, coolness, a hammock! Hammocks are so relaxing especially in the Summer at dusk:)
I'm going to go to bed too now, I'm a tired girl:)

Blessings to you Little Momma,

katiegfromtennessee

Katie said...

OK, the "roll boys"...they just HAD to be part of the family we witnessed in KCMO a couple months ago. They were swimming (and *diving*, no less) in their clothes in a shallow fountain with a very obvious sign that said "Please no swimming in the fountain." I spent a good five minutes just staring at them in total shock. Then the next day, I noticed that the fountain had been drained and maintenance staff were scrubbing it out. Must have been the same family as the boys you saw...

Angela said...

You guys will be at my church on Sunday....I will look for ya to say Hi!
Have a great week!

Tara G. said...

I have asked that countless days in a row- my kids are going stir-crazy. My oldest was the only one who would lay still next to me as a little one to take a nap. Alas, even she has become a flopper and the loudest child known to mankind when I want to take a nap on the sofa while the others sleep!

Patty said...

Way to go on meeting your goal! I have lost 10 lbs. with a lot more to go but in Jesus' name I will press on. :)

I am so excited about the Israel trip and look forward to reading your posts.

I got a swing for Mother's Day that also converts into a hammock. It is so nice and I have already taken 2 naps on it.
Have a great day, I am off to have 1 more cup of coffee. ;)

Sunni said...

You are going to Israel? That's awesome! (Even more awesome than your blog set-up today.)

And I was totally fighting the same self-righteous feelings last night at church. I think they are just wired because school is nearing an end. I had a little boy do something very disrespectful and I asked if he would like me to speak to his mother about it. His response, a sarcastic "Yeah, go tell her." He's only 7!!!

Molly said...

God Bless You - I totally get what you are saying about the boys and the rolls. You don't want to be that woman...but for crying out loud, are people awake. The things they allow.

Take Heart Mother superior!

I hope your omelett was amazing!
Siesta OC

Beth said...

Testing Mom's new avatar.

Unknown said...

Those were my boys....

Kidding! :)

Dionna said...

I have always wanted a hammock too! We got one in Panama last summer while there on a church missions trip. But it has nothing to hang on - so we need to get something this summer for that so I can enjoy it! (I have a feeling my kids will be fighting me for it! )

Holly said...

I hate to say it, but I identify with you in the self-righteous indignation at other's children...and then along came Sydney like a thousand slaps in the face (wonderful treasure though she may be!). However, I do not let our children run around at restaurants or anywhere in public (unless we're at a germ-infested playland).

I am learning the grace-filled-ness of being a mom. (Like Melissa, I do love a fresh, new page--so I give grace as much as I take grace these days).

WAY TO GO on the GOAL!!!!! AWESOME!!

sarah said...

amanda, love love love your blog...im BRAND NEW to the blog world...this is like the second comment I have ever left!! your babies are so sweet. I have to say that out family prayed for your little girl in regards to her hips. I just recently went through the same thing and praise Jesus my little girl was ok too. God is so very good. love you mama, love you...love Jesus the most....xoxo
PS Im really good friends with Lici that sings in LP worship she went to college with me!! (oh and Im a houston girl....live in TN now...but Texan at heart!)

The Greenfields said...

I see you are going to Israel. Are you going to be in Jordan at all? If so and you need any help with anything, drop me an email nateandrachgreenfield@gmail.com. I live in Amman and if you are heading over to Jordan would love to extend some hospitality your way.
- Rachel Greenfield