Monday, July 19, 2010

July? That Can Only Mean One Thing

I measure time by bunco seasons. My year is not January to December, but July to July. Do I sound like a serious bunco-er? Because I am! July has been my month to host for the last few years and I hosted my group last Monday night. Normally I would have had it in my home, but things have been a little crazy lately and I just needed to simplify. If you've ever tried to prepare your home for a party while your toddler and preschooler were actually in the home, you probably get the stress I was feeling. Plus, we'd had company for the weekend. So I decided to host my friends at the LPM office. It was such a relief to have it there. I served fajitas from a local restaurant to make it even simpler. And yummier. We had sopapilla cheesecake for dessert and it was very tasty, if I do say so myself. Too bad I can't really enjoy it because I know what's in it!

I started setting up for the party right as the work day was ending. Melissa had just arrived from Atlanta, so she and Mom visited with me for a little while before heading out.


Lis helped me get organized.


We played in the board room. I added a small round table with big queenie chairs at the far end of the long table.


You can see the bunco gifts lined up at the wall. They were some fun little things from the home section of Anthropologie. I had a blast shopping! It's stuff I would never spend the money on for myself but always drool over.



First we had our Mexican food feast. This is Linda, Dana, Betty, and Cyndi.



Kay, Courtney, Stephanie, Nat, Christine, Nancy, and Michelle.



We finally started playing after an hour of eating and chatting. This was the head table - AKA The Queenie Table. We used a stuffed camel as our Traveling Two's mascot.



This was table #2 - where you are neither honored nor shamed.



This is table #3. Paint a big red "L" on it.



I love this group of women so much. I wish I had a picture of us all together, but last year I made everyone do it and it was craziness. I'll wait till next year to torture them with a group shot again. If you're never heard of bunco, my post from last year explains it better. It looks like I spelled it with a "k" back then. Well, I feel like I'm sleepwalking today so I'll wrap this up. Bunco ladies, you are amazing and I can't wait to play again!



24 comments:

Cheri-Beri said...

I love, love, love my bunco group! We break for the summer because in the Pacific northwest, you've got to get the most you can out of summer :-) I think when I host next I'll have a Mexican theme!

Lindsey said...

I love Bunco, too. The last time I hosted in September and I had just started a new job as a teacher! I also bought already made food from a local restuarant and petit fores made to look like dice!

Lauren said...

I think I need to come over and play Bunco with you so you can teach me!!! :)

Nancy Mon said...

Amanda it was such a blast! I was so disapointed not being a winner and to take home any Anthropologie goodness. It did make me stop in after my work out on Tuesday.

It was a great time and it is the first time in a year that I actually ate dessert at Bunco or for that matter anywhere. It was worth the calories!

Thanks for being a lovely hostess.

Susy said...

Looks like a ball! Although I have no stinkin' clue what bunco is all about, but great job on hosting!

Amber said...

How fun! I had houseguests for the weekened too. And, I made sopapilla cheesecake for my first time. I agree, knowing how much butter is in it does but a damper on the joy of eating it! But it is fantastic!

Courtney (Women Living Well) said...

Looks like fun!!! I love my GNO's (girls nights out!) too! We ladies needem'!

Glad you got pics to share with us!
Courtney

Kelli said...

You hosted a fabulous bunco!

Susy said...

Looks like a ball! Although I have no stinkin' clue what bunco is all about, but great job on hosting!

Holly said...

I played Bunco one time at our church's women's retreat. I must say it was not nearly as FUN as this looks! Perhaps when the kids are a bit older, I can take part in a group, as fun as yours!!

Also,I love your solution to hosting...sounds restful and perfect!!

Anonymous said...

You and your sister have the best hair ever!!! Oh, yeah, and I love Bunco. I only ever sub, but I jump at the chance every time I'm asked. I never have to keep score either because I'm the sub. Plus, I get to see gorgeous houses and eat yummy food. Wow, I'm a total sponge. I should bring snacks next time I go at the very least!

Patty said...

I was going to ask you what it is but thank you for giving your link on the explanation. I have seen this on several blogs and it looks like so much fun! A Mexican feast sounds like a perfect meal to me. :)

Molly said...

I lOVE it, I would be at the table where you are not honored nor shamed...BUT GOD has bumped me up to the Queenie/Princess table, only HIM.

What fun! Only played once, but it looks serious where you are.

Unknown said...

I love Bunco but finally dropped out after crying over trying to host it with four young children. I think your hosting it at LPM was brillant!! I might still be in Bunko if I could host elsewhere. :) My spiritual gift is not hospitality although it might be if I was a better housekeeper. :)

Alison said...

Looks like fun! Our bunco group used to play every month, but then we just gave up on the playing and started just eating together every month! So fun!

Ashley said...

How fun!!! I am wanting to get started with a Bunco group soon, I love playing! The pics are great!!!

Dionna said...

I've heard of Bunco for so long but never had the pleasure of playing. Maybe that's because I'm in a drought season of Godly friends. I'm praying.....

katiegfromtennessee said...

I have never heard of bunco before actually, before you talked about playing it on here. It sounds like fun:)

katiegfromtennessee

julie said...

I thought you might enjoy this page I found at Crosswalk.com. Check it out:
http://www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/she%20seeks/11634927/

After reading your post a few days ago, I thought this might would comfort you!

Kelli said...

Hey Amanda- this is random and not really for this post, but I wasn't sure where to put it. My life has been crazy lately and I've barely had time to read blogs, much less comment on them, and I just wanted to let you know that you're "Like a Mosquito Bite" post (which I now can't find, thus the comment on the wrong post- sorry) really hit home with me. Just wanted to tell you that I've been praying for you. We're in a position of leadership within our overseas SB organization that often makes me wonder how in the world I got where I am and more appropriately what in the world God was thinking :). Seriously, just wanted you to know that even though I don't know the details of what you shared, I can relate and you are in my prayers. Blessings today!

Heather said...

What a fun group!! So glad y'all had a great time!!

Unknown said...

So fun! I have only played once and I couldn't quite get the hang of it, but I'm not sure if it was my inability to understand or my mom's inability to explain. :) She had only played once herself. Ha! Glad you have such a wonderful group of women to laugh with and enjoy life with!

Lisa-Jo Baker said...

I have no idea what bunco is - but more importantly I need to know how you and Melissa get your hair looking so doggone beautifully blow waved and glossy? I wanted to pet both of you when I saw that photo! What I wouldn't give to have someone else do my hair for me every morning. Sigh. You will learn about my shamefully sad blow drying skills when we travel to Guatemala. I am all pony tails, all the time in the Summer.

~Lisa-Jo

Kim Safina said...

Just makes me so happy!!