Monday, October 11, 2010

Aid Sudan

Yesterday the executive director of Aid Sudan, Peter Swann, came to talk to our Sunday school class about an amazing opportunity. I do not know Peter personally, but I can tell you based on his reputation in our church that he is the real deal. A couple of our class members are on the board of directors of this ministry and one of my dear friends is on their staff. Anyway, this is so cool! They are having an October campaign to put solar powered, hand-held radios in the hands of men and women in southern Sudan. These radios can only tune in to one station, and what they hear on this one station is local pastors proclaiming the word of God in their own language. How awesome is that? (They will also hear health and hygiene info, local and international news, and community development info.) Groups of 10-15 people will gather around these radios and listen. And the radios last for 12 years! Peter used to live in Sudan and he said there is no ambient noise there. So when people hear the radio, they are drawn to it. The maker of these radios is subsidizing the cost for Aid Sudan and they are only $20. Twenty dollars to share the Gospel with people in southern Sudan! How could I not share this with you? Check out these videos and if you are as moved as I am, buy a radio and pass on the news!



11 comments:

Karen said...

Thank you for posting this! What an AWESOME IDEA! OH MY! I LOVE IT!!!

Unknown said...

We took a few of the "Lost Boys" under our wing in North Carolina. Oh what a story. Heartbreaking. But we have seen their growth and how their faith sustained them. We love anything and everything organizations are doing to help our brothers and sisters in Sudan. Thank you so much for sharing this opportunity.

Amy Bennett said...

THANK YOU for posting on this. I love that this is Gospel oriented. One more radio was just secured!

Unknown said...

I heard about this ministry in MOPS and I love it too. That is why I was so excited to run the 5K fun run this spring- it supported the Sudanese ministry. I think it is awesome too!

KimberlyMDavis said...

What a great ministry opportunity. My heart has been so heavy for Sudan for many years; yet, tonight's segment of Nightly News with Brian Williams really got me. With the split between the north and south, many Americans are going to the aid of southern Sudanese people who are in real danger of another brutal civil war.

Thank you again for sharing about this opportunity.

-Kim
Knoxville, Tenn.

Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

How cool is that? Going to watch the videos now...:) Much love to you sister!

Amber C said...

Done :) Thanks for sharing this.

Rebecca said...

I went to high school with Peter and can say that he is indeed the real deal. Love the ministry and what a great opportunity for the gospel to be shared!!!

Crystal said...

Amanda -
Just found your blog via twitter. So thankful!! You and I have kids almost the same age and sounds like the same struggles. I know God wants me to be home but I struggle with the flesh in wanting to "do" something! Thanks for your honesty and helping me to focus on what God wants!

Thankful to "find you" on the web. I miss you on LPM blog but am so glad your family is the better for it!

Barb said...

Just a note to say thank you for your posts and a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you!!! :) with love, Barb

Barb said...

Happy Birthday Amanda!!! :)