Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Destino

Destino


masculine noun

1. destiny, fate (sino)

  • su destino era convertirse en estrella de cine -> she was destined to become a movie star

2. destination (rumbo)

  • (ir) con destino a -> (to be) bound for o going to
  • un vuelo con destino a… -> a flight to…
  • el tren con destino a La Paz -> the train for La Paz, the La Paz train
  • pasajeros con destino a Chicago, embarquen por puerta 6 -> passengers flying to Chicago, please board at gate 6

3. position, post (empleo, plaza)

  • le han dado un destino en las Canarias -> he's been posted to the Canaries

4. use, function (finalidad)


*from Spanishdict.com


When I was nine years old my mom took my sister and me to the newly opened Sea World in San Antonio, Texas. I vividly remember walking through the parking lot and saying to the whole group, "There are too many Mexicans here." My mother nearly snatched me bald-headed. She rebuked me to the highest degree and I feel certain she had never been more ashamed of me. A terribly sinful attitude in my heart was exposed. I'm not sure how much my heart really changed at that point, but I definitely learned not to say things like that again.


Several years later, as God would have it, I landed in a 7th grade Spanish class against my will. I'd signed up for a theater class as my elective, but something went very wrong. I had no plans of ever taking Spanish - French sounded so much prettier, I thought. I really don't know why I didn't march into the counselor's office and have my class switched. It probably would've been easy.


Nevertheless, I stayed in the class and was absolutely terrified to be called on. I was embarrassed for anyone to hear me try to speak with an accent. Although when my teacher heard me speak, he asked if my family spoke Spanish at home. No, actually we spoke a blend of Houstonian (where you drop the H-sound from the beginning of words) and Arkansan (using weird figures of speech, such as snatching one bald-headed). It took me many years to understand what my teacher meant when he asked me that question.


I fell in love with the language and continued taking Spanish in high school and college. One day in 11th grade, Sra. Arnold was lecturing on prejudice and attitudes that white Americans have toward Hispanics. She looked right at me and asked, "Amanda,

hay demasiado?" Amanda, are there too many? Can you see how God did not, would not let this go? It was a full circle moment.


I had sin and ugliness in my heart toward Latin Americans, but God had mercy on my soul and did not leave me that way. He stuck me in a Spanish class I never wanted to take, gave me a knack for a language I never wanted to speak, and made me love it. In doing so, He gave me a deep and sincere love for a culture and a people that I used to dishonor in my heart.


You may be thinking "This girl is crazy. I can't believe she told that." We're not really supposed to talk about this, are we? You may be wondering if I'm embarrassed right now. Well, yeah, I am. But God has gone out of His way to redeem my sinful soul. He made beauty out of the ashes that had smoldered privately in my heart. I praise Him for plucking a thorny, ugly, poisonous bush out of my soul and planting something fruitful and life-giving. One of the most cherished treasures God has ever given me is the gift of Spanish. When I hear and understand it, I feel God's pleasure. When I get up the nerve to speak it even though I have been out of classes for almost 10 years, I feel God's pleasure. I see His glory because something happened in my heart that could only have been done by Him.


I would be embarrassed to speak Spanish in front of any of my former teachers now. I've lost so much already. But what remains, even as the meaning of pluscuamperfecto now escapes me, is love. I can no longer understand everything someone says to me in Spanish. I'm of no use as a translator. But what I can still do - and love to do - is give honor.


In my high school Spanish classes we used to watch an educational telenovela called Destinos. Maybe some of you know what I'm talking about. I was thinking about the word destino recently - it means destiny or destination. That seems like such a fitting theme for this story. It may have been my destiny as a young, white, privileged American to grow up truly believing I was superior to people of another economic standing or race. But God changed my destiny. He also gave me new destinations. I have been incredibly blessed to visit places like Venezuela, Honduras, Mexico and Guatemala.


Last fall I had the privilege of traveling to Guatemala on a Compassion blogger trip with Ann, Lindsey, and Lisa-Jo. One night I was sitting in the conference room with the other bloggers while we typed out the stories of what we had seen. I told our leader, Shaun, about the journey God had taken me on since childhood. It started off with "I can never write about this, but..." I think he was a little shocked, but I wanted him to know what it meant to me to be there. It meant redemption.


Jesus also brought redemption into the lives of a number of Guatemalan families because of the incredible blog readers who followed along on that trip and sponsored children. I heard from someone just last week who had been thinking about sponsoring since that trip and had finally done it. That's so awesome.


I'm still pinching myself over this news, but I'm really excited to tell you that I have a new destino with Compassion. I'm going on a blogger alumni trip to Ecuador next month. What grace! We're going to be in the city of Quito for part of the time, and then we're getting in boats and going into the Amazon. Whoa, Nelly! I can only imagine what kind of shenanigans Ann, Sophie, Melanie, and Kelly and I are going to have in those canoes. We will be blogging from November 8-12. I hope you will follow along.


41 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing. I can not imagine how much fun that trip is going to be. I can't wait to see the impact that will be made during that trip. I need to start praying now for all of you because the devil is not going to like all the good things you all are about to do!

Brooke said...

What a great story. And so timely too. Here in Alabama, so much superiority is raising it's ugly head as people debate the new immigration laws. It's hard not to fall into the same trap.

So excited for you and your upcoming trip! I love Compassion so much. Can't wait to read all about it!

Katie and Justin Cox said...

Destinos!! Oh my goodness, I haven't thought about that in years... I LOVED Destinos!! And the little workbooks that went along with the show... to test our comprehension!! Gosh... if only we could have learned calculus via Soap Opera! I am so excited to read about y'alls trip... my favorite bloggers all together... I will be on a blog reading high, no doubt! Also... I never had the chance (or the bravery... not a regular commenter) to say thank you for your post on Spiritual Warfare and your journey... THANK YOU! God used your journey to confirm mine... glory! Thank you for waiting until you had the words instead of forcing them... because obviously it was ALL ABOUT TIMING! God is never late, is he?! :) Okay... longest comment ever! Thank you and God speed to you and yours in the Amazon! :)

HIS Child said...

I Love this post! I love your courage, your honesty and the beauty of seeing His redemption. It is an honor to call you friend. I can't wait to hear all about the trip, what a treasure to go with those ladies!

May He prepare each of your hearts as only He can.

Love ya,
Celeste

Alison said...

Thank you, friend, for your bravery in speaking about this--this, which so many of us Texans are too timid to discuss. I'm praying for more redemption for this newest journey. Have you read Elisabeth's Elliot's "Through Gates of Splendor?" Such a picture of God's redemption in Ecuador. I can't help but remember that when thinking about your upcoming trip.:)

Marc and Charity said...

Oh Destinos. I remember it well. What a beautiful story of God's redemption and grace in your life. Thanks for sharing it.

California Dreamin said...

What a beautiful post Amanda. I have tears in my eyes reading your story. Yes, God can change prejudiced hearts for His glory. I think of my husband who is a Vietnam Vet and had problems with Vietnamese people when coming home from Viet Nam. Years later in ministry he found himself sitting between two Vietnamese people at a church event and felt his heart melt of his sinful prejudice. God healed him. Today my husband is at another church event in Little Saigon (that's the official name of the area)in Southern California and has been so excited to go. Praise be to God! Be blessed Senora Jones! You are loved.
--Grandmamitz

Allison C. Lee said...

O man yes that was not a good mommy moment for your mom...but today sure was. Im so glad she let you live long enough to grow and share your story that will change hearts and attitudes...in all of us.
One more language you Moore girls speak is truth...
Can't wait to read about your trip...
Allison

Rosa said...

So lovely and timely Amanda, as I have processed some horrible comments by a presidential candidate in the name of "humor" and wondered how on earth anyone can find that sort of thing funny. Love. That is key!

JustJess said...

Very neat story, Amanda. Thanks for sharing! Excited for your journey. You have the neatest travel group. Your journey will no doubt be filled with all kinds of serious issues but I sure there will also be quite the dose of laughter. I'll be following and praying!

ashleyalden said...

What an awesome story! God does have this uncanny ability to bring beauty from ugliness. A bad attitude turned into compassion...that's God.

I have such a heart to travel for missions...just no courage to accompany it. You really are an inspiration. I'll be praying for you and your trip; I can't wait to read all about it!

Traci said...

You are so honest amanda...I was so moved by your post. Why are we so afraid to bring our "stuff" out into the light? It takes vulnerability which can be risky. I'm so thankful for your bravery. It inspires me to do the same. We are covered by the blood and we serve God not man...so I WILL NOT FEAR! I hope today you've experienced the presence of jesus walking with you in a particularly amazing way!! ...and happy belated birthday :)

Amanda May said...

Amanda - You are such a gifted writer. God is definitely glorified through your writing…and your transparency. Thank you!

Unknown said...

Thank you for being real and vulnerable. NEVER STOP!

Hilary said...

This is wonderful - I am so excited for you!

I grew up in San Diego, so I experienced a whole lot of Hispanic culture from day one. I have gone into Mexico many times for missions work, and I love that country and her people. :-)

I love the restoration that God has worked in your life! Can't wait to read about the trip.

Annie said...

As a Latin American myself, I'm thankful for this post. I'm thankful you admit that you, as you word it, dishonored Latin Americans in your heart, because in doing so you show the full mercy of God in changing your heart for that people group.

I love that you've been to Honduras - that's where my mom is from! {Who, incidentally, has been to a conference or two taught by your mom.}

I'm so excited to read about your experiences in Ecuador next month. And I'm so thankful for this story of God using you in a way you never would have predicted for yourself.

p.s. pluscuamperfecto means pluperfect or past perfect and refers to a verb tense that in English is phrased "had made," "had thought," etc. ;]

Anonymous said...

Bravo! This is your 2nd "courageous, serious post." and I hope not the last. I do believe you have a "destino" to reach others through your ministry of writing. My parents are Cuban, so this post especially touched me, mi hermana. Said a prayer tonight for this trip -- very exciting!

Marla Taviano said...

I love you even more now.

Fran said...

Oh how I love your honesty! I will be following and praying every day for your travels, your stories to share, and the lives forever changed in Jesus Name!!!!

So much love and respect,
Fran

Kara Akins said...

Wow!You brave woman. Just saw Katie Davis at David Platt's church last Sunday and it put me and my girls on fire for missions. So glad you have been blessed with this honor to go.

Kirsten said...

That's awesome--bless you for being so honest! I had a similar experience when I was younger with a different group of people and God surely had mercy on me as well. Praise Him.

Rachel said...

"Destinos" was famous in my high school. We all had to watch it. I got a good laugh when I saw that it imprinted other people's high school experience, as well.

I really appreciate your honesty about your previous prejudices, and the power of Jesus to transform!

Looking forward to reading about your travels!

Shelli Littleton said...

I woke up thinking about "redemption" this morning ... given that 2nd chance ... and so thankful Jesus gave us that 2nd chance. I'll be praying for you, Amanda ... I'm so jealous "for" you!!

Meghan said...

Thank you for being so open. Unfortunately we tend to hide the stories that show what we truely would be without Christ, and those are the stories that really show us Christ Himself.
On a side note in my high school spanish class we watched spanish soap operas. Seemed a little inappropriate, but the teacher didn't have too much trouble keeping the class's attention on the show!

His Jules said...

thanks for your authenticity and I cant wait to follow all of you on this trip!

Erin said...

LOVE this post! As a mother of one nonwhite child (we have one through adoption and one through birth) it has been interesting to see all the different attitudes towards race, even within myself and my family. It has made people grow - even people in my family. Amanda, this post is so great because most people harbor racist views without even realizing it. Praise God He showed you and you wrote about it!! I love your realness.
I think it is an amazing revelation that God made every people group for His good pleasure! I'm linking to an article I love by Pastor Thabiti Anyabwile talking about race. Pretty interesting. Hope your trip is amazing in every way. http://www.boundless.org/2005/articles/a0001835.cfm

Erin said...

ps Love the Chariots of Fire reference. Love, love that movie! Just watched it again a few weeks ago.

Kelly @ Love Well said...

A good story always captivates me. But God's story of redemption puts a merely good story to shame with its depth of beauty.

So excited to go along to the Amazon with you, Amanda. Praying even now for God to be glorified, for words to come (even Spanish ones) and for many children to be sponsored.

JACQUELYNN said...

Thank you so much for sharing... your honesty is a breath of fresh air!

Lucy said...

I have read many post and I don't think I have ever felt what your post made me feel. It is an indescribable emotion. It is a mixture of humility, love, pride, forgiveness. I am 100% Mexican and today a proud Spanish speaker. Believe it or not, I grew up feeling ashamed to speak it because I was raised here in the US and thought I was only suppose to speak English. Your blog makes me feel like someone just ask for forgiveness for making me feel this way. Don't get me wrong, I've never felt discriminated or looked down on. It was always my own insecurities that made me feel like that. Thank you for writing this. You truly are an amazing writer but more importantly your obedience to the unction of the Holy Spirit is honorable. Love you much!

Ann Voskamp @Holy Experience said...

Just sitting here weeping over the beauty of you -- these words -- the redemptive ways of our God.

Ecuador, sister! For the children and glory of Christ!

R said...

this story is very similar to mine, but my language is french. :o)

we were on a trip to austin a few weeks ago for husby's most recent ultramarathon, and i had a chance to help a french woman who was having difficulty with the hotel elevator and the way our building floors are designated here in america. i knew exactly what i should have said to her to help her...but i didn't. my disobedience still grieves me today. what a big missed opportunity... prayerfully, i've learned my lesson. :0)

Jeannie (HAPPY HEART) said...

I think you have honored HIM today by your post. So many times, we find freedom when share what He has done in our lives. Thanks so much for sharing about your trip to Gutatemala. The LORD placed on my heart to sponsor a child from there after your trip. His name is Victor and he has brought our family much joy! I will pray for a wonderful trip for you. ( I know there won't be a dull moment)

connorcolesmom said...

That is a wonderful story of redemption! I love it!
And I am so excited for you and the Compassion group.
It is going to be so much fun and such a blessing!
Praying for you to be safe,healthy and FULL of Joy on your trip

Carrie Beth said...

Thank you for sharing your heart, as always! I was just talking with the Spanish teacher at our school today about the show Destinos and how we used to watch that in our high school Sp. classes!
When I signed up to take Spanish, I had no idea how useful it would be 10 years later when I was on a mission trip in El Salvador! God knew though, as always, and prepared me far before I would need it.

Mary H. said...

I wanted to tell you that when I read your blog about your last Compassion trip, I begin to pray about our family sponsoring a child. At Travis Cottrell's concert at Lindsay Lane Baptist Church in Athens, AL in April 2011 we finally made the commitment. It has been such a blessing to us. Thanks for giving such good information so that our family could learn and grow.

Unknown said...

I'm excited to follow your upcoming trip to Ecuador! Wish I was coming with you:)

this post was really timely for me...in so many ways. Thank you.

Lauren said...

Dang, girl! Blessings to you in the Amazon!

April said...

Two of our Compassion children are from Ecuador! We sponsored our first Compassion child from Ecuador when we were newlyweds. We were still in Waco and going to Louie Giglio's CHOICE Bible study when he challenged us to sponsor a Compassion child. He had been to Ecuador to check out Compassion, so we sponsored a child from Ecuador. She graduated from the program last year. I'll be praying for y'all as you minister to those children (maybe even one of ours!).

ashleyalden said...

Oh Amanda! I know this is a late comment on this post, but it JUST slammed me that YOU may be a wonderful person to ask this question to... As a Mom of two young kids (5&2), I am having a hard time fully commiting to a mission trip. My church has been to Hati and other trips are being planned. I REALLY have a heart to go, but am worried my desire to serve may be selfish or careless, as I have two small children at home. Might you be open to walking me through the thought process that allows you to serve so wonderfully across the world? I think it's amazing. Is it still tough to go, I mean, I'm sure it is, but how do you deal wit those feelings? How do you respond to those questions of mommy-doubt? Might you recommend any inspiring scriptures? Thank you for any light you may be able to shed. You are SO inspiring and I thank you.

Amanda said...

Ashley, I can relate to what you're saying. There are certain trips I know I would feel uncomfortable doing in this season. I have turned down more opportunities to travel than I have accepted since becoming a mom. In this case, I wasn't sure but my husband said GO! After prayer and talking it over with important voices in my life, I had peace about it and also the desire to go. Curtis and I traveled a lot before we had kids, so it has been nice getting back into a season where I can do that every now and then. What I miss is traveling WITH my husband on trips like this. Blessings to you, sister!