Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Silly and a Bad Word

On Friday night our little family went out for an early dinner at Russo's. They have our current favorite pizza - coal fired, New York style pepperoni. Praise the Lord. Afterward we went to a store called Gander Mountain so that I could buy some advanced form of mosquito repellent for the clothes I'm going to wear in the Amazon. I also had to buy a hat with a rim all the way around. Bonus!

Jackson got really excited about the hats and wanted one for himself. Not wanting to buy two, I told him I would buy this hat for him but he'd have to let me borrow it for my trip and he couldn't wear it until I got back. This was the perfect compromise.

Now, I am cursed with expensive taste and of course the one hat that I actually loved turned out to be $75. Um, no. So I moved on to this one.


Amazing, right? If I were a bee keeper.

Eventually Jackson and I settled on a hat that looks ever-so-slightly Texan, repels water and dries quickly.

So yesterday morning I was getting my boy ready for school and I put on the hat just to be awesome. I told Jackson I was probably going to wear it to pick him up from school. Then we had a major milestone.

"Mommy, I think that would look silly."

Did my son just get scared that I would embarrass him at school? I think so!

Then I mentioned it again - just teasing him, of course - and he said, "Mommy, that would be silly and a bad word."

Alert! Alert! Alert!

Major milestone number two!

"And a bad word? Huh. What bad word would that be?"

"I can't say it."

I ran into my room and locked the door behind me. I blurted all this out to Curtis and we both died laughing. Then I went back into the living room and asked Jackson to spell the word for me.

"It starts with 'S'." Curtis was sweating. I, however, knew what it was going to be.

"Sttttt...oooo...pid."

Bingo.

I'm just glad my son will never have to see me in my sweet Amazon clothes that will be arriving from Columbia any day now. I resolve from this day forward to shelter him from all things silly and a bad word in his mother's wardrobe.

26 comments:

Sunni said...

So much to comment on-

First, you are working that hat! :)

2nd- Just wait until Annabeth starts trying to dictate your wardrobe for preschool drop-off. It's worse with girls. Not a week goes by where Belle doesn't say "Are you really taking me to school in that?"

3rd- We just had our first experience with a bad word scare. It was the 'f' word. It turned out to be 'farm'. Haha!

One day when they are grown they will realize what cool and funny mom's they really have... ;)

Jennifer said...

So cute and absolutely hilarious!

Regan said...

That's precious!

Kiera said...

love that 'stupid' is a bad word...has always been in our house and I about died when my daughter came home from kindergarten and told us that kids were saying the 'S' word all over the playground...at first I was shocked, and then we realized that her 'S' word was WAY different than the world's 'S' word...and now in 5th grade she still believes that stupid is THE 'S' word!!!

Regan said...

That's precious!

dmauton said...

That is so cute. That word is also a bad word in our household. :)

JustJess said...

Adorably hilarious.

Marla Taviano said...

I am sooooooooo excited for your trip!!!!!!

Dionna said...

I'm smiling.

Nancy Mon said...

My nieces came home from playing with friends and told their mom the other kids were saying bad words. She asked what letter the words started with, s and f. My S-I-L asked a couple more questions before going over to the neighbors home to talk about this. Finally she determined the s and f words, stupid and fat.

You wear it well Amanda. Love the hat and one of my very favorite pics of you is in the yellow slicker.

Rachel said...

My cousin once threatened to call his mother a bad word when he was mad, the "f-a-t word." She was so relieved that was his "bad word" that she couldn't even get mad!

Molly said...

That is hilarious!!!

Hilary said...

Too funny!
Ok, I have to tell you a funny "bad" word story. :-)
My pastor and his family (mostly older kids - youngest is 10) were on a road trip this past summer. They were talking about marriage and what to look for in a spouse. (Since most of the kids are high school/college age, except for the 10 year old.) 10 year old pipes up from the backseat "Oh no, here we go talking about the "F" word again." Everybody goes still. "Uh, Luke, what do you know about the "F" word?" says my pastor. Luke says "You know, Dad - wiFe?!!!!!"

AP said...

I think your opinion of the hat was pretty accurate. My 9 year old daughter walked by as I was reading your post and saw your picture. She asked if you were planning to be a beekeeper for Halloween. Ha!

Rose said...

Oh my gosh this is hilarious!! David Michael once asked me when I was dropping him off at school (in my Gym clothes) if I was going to walk him in! I gathered from his question that he didn't like the way I looked!
Learning so much from y'alls leadership!!

Kristen Maddux said...

Oh. My. Goodness. That is a hilarious story! Can't wait to hear all about your trek thru the Amazon. :)

Unknown said...

My 'little' boys are now 11 and 13. I LOVE the power of embarrassment. I'm learning to use it wisely. May the Force be with you, sister.

Annie said...

Hahaha. That's too cute!

Alison said...

Haha! Love this! The "s" word is a bad word at our house too! Carson got in big trouble for writing the words "your stoopid" in his notebook on the way home from school! :)

The Sages said...

Russo's and Gander mountain is definitely a frequent occurrence for my family too! We love Russo's!

Lauren said...

Too cute, haha!!!!!!!! :)

Keri C said...

Love this post!
And that word is a bad word in our home too:) Along with many others, ha! It scares me to death when the kids say someone we know said a "bad word"...love that they are still so innocent!

Lauren said...

Ha ha ha! That is awesome!

Claire said...

Love your stories...when our now 22 year old was 4 I wanted to see if she knew any 'bad' words...so I asked her "what's the worst bad word you know?". With a very sheepish look on her face she gathered up the courage to say to me "butt"...needless to say I couldn't hide my laughter!
I love it that your kindergardener BOY is already noticing what you wear...our boy is 13 and is just now making those comments...the 18 year old has been making them since she was 3! Enjoy those babies!!

Shellie Paparazzo said...

Yep, that word that starts with S is a bad word in our house now, too. When you get started setting good boundaries in your home as late as I did however, it can be a challenge to get them to actually stop saying it!!!! I'm still working on what boundaries need to be established in my home. Never had any growing up, so I'm starting from scratch. And when your kids are 12, 10(11 in just a few minutes), and 9...Oh, boy! Old habits die hard! Especially when established early in childhood, I'm thinking!!!!

Pamela Payne said...

:)