Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Mother-Daughter Getaway

Mom and I had such a fun girls weekend. Early Friday morning we got on a plane and headed to Santa Monica, California. We landed and then had lunch at the City Market in Brentwood. After that we just played around and had dinner on the veranda at our hotel. From there we got to watch the sunset and enjoy the cool evening temperature. We rented a movie in our room but we were both so tired that we had to pause it and watch the rest in the morning. The 2 hour time change and waking up at 4:30 made us weak!

Saturday morning we woke up at the crack of dawn because our bodies were on Texas time. Mom got up way before me, went for a walk on the beach, and had her quiet time. We ordered French toast and the best huevos rancheros known to man. Then we went shopping at the promenade, which is an outdoor mall. We walked briefly through a farmers market while we waited for the shops to open and I had to laugh at the booth that advertised eggs from "sprout fed chickens." Let me just say that if someone who had only ever lived in LA moved to Texas, they would be in HUGE culture shock. And vice versa. It is very fun to visit California but I don't think I would fit in there at all!

When the shops opened, we darted into the Pottery Barn. I bought a little something for my sister that I'll give her next week. Then we spent a few minutes in J. Crew before moving on to Old Navy. Outside the Old Navy they had one of their employees dressed like a fairy and handing out Halloween gift bags. She handed us each a bag as we walked in and said there was a surprise inside. I was a little annoyed because what would I want with some stupid Halloween stickers, a pencil and a rubber ball? I'd rather not even have to carry it. I did not look inside to see what was there. We grabbed a few maternity things for me and headed into the dressing rooms. At that point Mom and I decided we should see what was in our gift bags. Mom's had a peel-away coupon that was $5 off any purchase. I thought that was great because I could get a cami for $7. Then she told me to open mine and see what it was. I did and, holy cow, my coupon was for my entire purchase up to $150! Isn't that crazy? Lori/Bargain Shopper Lady, I totally thought of you.

Then I completely switched gears and thought I need to get stuff for my kids! (It's so fun to say "kids" plural now.) Jackson got two pairs of pants and a fleece sweatsuit. Baby Girl got a few cute things too. Of course I got some maternity tees. Everything was on sale, so we even had a hard time making the $150 total once we were at the register. I had to send my mom over to the pajamas to pick out a couple things for herself. Come to find out, I was the grand prize winner for the day. There was only one such coupon and somehow I managed to get it. Thank You, Lord, for blessing me wildly!

After that we dropped off my huge bag of loot at the hotel and took a cab to a fun shopping street called Montana. We spent most of the day there and enjoyed a fun lunch together. I noticed that people in restaurants there really like to check each other out. I guess that's because everyone's looking for celebrities. We never saw any, although I kept my phone on me the entire time in case my BFF's Jennifer and Courtney called and wanted to meet up. Maybe the lines got crossed or something because I never did hear from them.

Then we got some Starbucks and took a cab back to the hotel. When we did this same shopping trip last fall, we walked back. But Pregnant Girl ruined all the fun with her braxton hicks contractions that make her walk at a snail's pace. Fun times.

After we rested a bit, we decided we'd try to find a place to get our hair washed and dried. So we did. We managed to find the most masculine hair salon I've ever been to in my life. There was a drum kit and a few guitars decorating the salon and my stylist told me they like to have impromptu jam sessions. Then we found out that the two guys who started it are from Dallas. My stylist was a native Californian. He told me he'd like to go to Texas so that he could visit Austin and Graceland. In Memphis. That would be Tennessee. I got so tickled. But if I had to take a test about the geography of the western United States I would fail miserably.

That night we got to have a super nice dinner at a restaurant in Malibu that was right over the ocean. We got to eat on the patio underneath heaters. It was too dark to see the water, but we could hear the waves crashing beneath us. It was so neat. I had to pinch myself.

Sunday morning we had life-changing blueberry pancakes (hi Travis) and then headed back to the airport. Girls weekend was coming to a close! Pregnant Girl thought she had an aisle seat on the plane, so she drank a huge cup of tea right before boarding. Then she was surprised to find herself not in an aisle seat. Oh my gosh, I was so stressed out about how many times I was going to have to ask the man next to me to let me out to go to the restroom. It ended up being twice. At one point I was about to die and he was just snoozing peacefully next to me, as though P.G.'s bladder might not burst in mid-flight. It did not burst, but I'm not exaggerating when I say it was a dern close call.

Soon mom and I hugged goodbye and agreed that we'd had a total blast. The only thing that could have made it better was if Melissa had been able to join us. Next time, hopefully! Thanks, Mom, for an amazing weekend!

That brings us to Sunday at 3 p.m. More to come in a bit.

41 comments:

Melinda said...

I'm so glad y'all got to do that...even if your bladder was on it's last leg, I bet it was totally worth it.

Hugs,
Melinda

Unknown said...

Amanda, when I was four months pregnant with my first my husband WON a trip to LA to see American Idol. I was reminded of this when you talked about the airplane/bathroom situation. Only we live in VA so it was a 5 1/2 hour flight. The poor lady beside me had to get up 5 times! (I always wondered why she didn't just offer me her seat.)

Kelli said...

What a fun trip with your mom! Just think that will be you taking your baby girl in the years to come! :)

Patty said...

What a fun weekend!! I was totally into the Old Navy gift bag story but I never thought you would have won that much. God is good! You had me cracking up over the sweet tea and flying back. This girlfriend usually lays off the tea or drinking anything while flying because I would have been up more than you. lol

I'll be back to read your second part. :)

Holly said...

You won't believe this, but my friend won the $150 free at Old Navy on Saturday, too! We went for our annual girls' weekend shopping trip to an outlet mall about 2 hours away. The other two of us got the $5 off our purchase, and when she opened hers she FLIPPED out! Later in the day we saw that someone had thrown their peel away thing away, and (yes, we got it out of the trash can to see) it was $50 free! We split that, so everyone got a little something fun for free this weekend!

boomama said...

SHUT UP about the Old Navy deal. I would've been beside myself. I know y'all had the best time. Please tell me that there was some chocolate. Or some cheesecake. Either will do.

Missy said...

Girl - that shopping anointing has been all over you recently! Sounds like ya'll had a blast!!!!

Holly said...

I clapped right here in my guest room for the blessing of being the $150 winner that day! What a wonderful weekend!!

I prayed for you all weekend...asked the Lord to do some wonders for you both.

Love your heart, Amanda.

MITZI said...

So glad you and your mom enjoyed yourselves in my part of the world, SoCal. I keep telling you to call me next time you're in town!!! We can meet somewhere...haha, I'm just California Dreamin.

Deidre said...

That weekend sounds like so much fun, Amanda! And, what a score on the Old Navy coupon. I probably would have done the same thing and threw the bag away immediately never knowing what was inside.

valerie said...

Those special times will never be forgotten. I've had the awesome privilege of traveling a lot with my mom and sisters. We've gone to Calif. a few times. We flew into the Burbank airport. We went to a great seafood place (maybe Greystones????) in Malibu for lunch one day. It was so beautiful.
I'm glad you and your mom had such a good time.
Love,
Valerie

Fran said...

That sounds awesome Amanda!! When I was pregnant with our 3rd and about 5 months along my hubs and I went down to the beach for a few days and I couldn't do a dern thing. Not sure if it was the environment or the big belly but I couldn't hang to say the least.

But, it sounds like you had a fabulous time with your momma!! Come on.....where are the pix??! :)

Hugs,
Fran

ocean mommy said...

WOW!!! What a treat God had for you! I would have loved to seen your face when you opened that coupon! That is just like Him.

Sounds like a wonderful weekend. I bet you can hardly wait to do the same for your baby girl one day. :)

Blessings,
stephanie

Heather said...

SO FUN! It was fun to read this and live vicariously through you!

Purplelicious Janice said...

That's so great you two were able to go on vacation. What fun! I love being with my mom. So happy for you that you were the grand prize winner. My friend was laughing at me yesterday because I got 2 sodas out of the machine for the price of one and I got very excited. Haha... I enjoy the little things. Now yours is definitely something to be happy about. :)

Big Mama said...

Girl. That $150 from Old Navy is the hand of God if I've ever seen it.

Also, how much do I love that y'all found a place to get your hair washed and dried? That is my kind of vacation.

Gran Jan said...

Amanda - thank you for sharing your getaway weekend with us. You are a special young woman and write with such a genuine and transparent heart.

I love how you notice so many details and take the time to share them! You obviously love God's beautiful creation! Thank you for sharing that West Coast sunset and the ocean waves (and the blueberry pancakes)!

I'm so happy God favored you with that coupon - that is so fun! You are a sweet sweet heart!

Blessings to you,
Georgia Jan

Heather said...

How fun you got to get away with your mom! And what a blessing on top of a blessing with the ON gift bag! And to think you didn't want to even look in it ... you would have missed out!

The world of a girl after a boy (in my case boys) is sooooo fun! My pocket book is definitely seeing the difference. :)

Toknowhim said...

I too am blown away about the $150 coupon...What if you hadn't opened it???

Sounds like you both had a wonderful weekend...Am so happy for you both.

Blessings Amanda :)

Speaking Thru Me Ministries said...

i need to see if my mom will do that... hmmm - that is a good one!! glad you had a great time!! love, Leigh

Anonymous said...

How fun is that?!? I LOVED the farmers market and the shopping prominade... we were blessed to be able to visit la combined with a conference at saddleback and had a blast!

and how cool is that shopping spree at Old Navy... very cool.

jennyhope said...

what a blessing the Lord is so good girl!!

bethany said...

You were here in CA and I did not know! Too bad I am not a SoCal. girl...I would have totally joined you both at the Starbucks! However, we do have quite a few here in the Central Valley so if you ever decide to make sunny Ca. your home, we can grab a nice cup of tea here. You need to come out with you Mom next summer to Stockton. You will get to experience the Central Valley!
Too cool about the Old Navy blessing! Baby Girl and Little Jackson are sure to be sporting some cute items this winter!

Lindsee Lou said...

Girl, I am trying not to covet your $150 at Old Navy! That is awesome! Glad you got to bless your kiddos, yourself, and your mother! :)

Sounds like you had a blast this weekend! So fun!

And now you have me curious about 3:00 on Sunday....

Immeasurably More Mama said...

Your weekend sounds absolutely fabulous! You are one blessed girl indeed for winning THE best prize of the day...how fun to spend $150 in Old Navy (I love that store).

We had a fantastic weekend as well but it was a little different than yours...we visited a corn maze for the first time with our little guy...Good times!

katiegfromtennessee said...

Hey Little Momma:)

Your weekend sounded like such a good time!:) Huevos rancheros sounds tasty, I don't think I've ever had that-all the food ya'll ate sounded fabulous:) I soo want to visit California at least once-never been there...The Lord did bless you with that coupon!! He's super awesome like that:)...Graceland in TX, that's funny:)...My, full bladder, I'm sorry, that is always rough on a plane:) I hope Melissa gets to go next time too; when all my sisses and I get together and do things with my momma, it is good times:) Now, since we are getting older, it's harder to coordinate, but it is doable:)

katiegfromtennessee

Joanne : The Simple Wife said...

Such fun! Glad you had a blast. Think I need to make my mom read this and see if she wants to take me on one too!

And, I'm guessing, Gladstone's?!

Joanne

barbara head said...

No one more deserving of the "Grand Prize" than you, sweet one!! Sounds like my kind of weekend.

Rita Loca said...

Reading of your fun shopping and the blessing of the prize was almost like being there myself. I must admit, your Mom purchasing pajamas at Old Navy... who'd a thunk it!

connorcolesmom said...

Well I am just bouncing up and down for you and your great weekend!! YEAH!
I love those fun mommy daughter getaways!!
Plus how AWESOME that God blessed you with that 150 dollar giveaway - what a true Delight!
So FUN!!!
And you totally made me laugh about the tea and plane thing - so funny!!
Been there done that and it is so uncomfortable and awkward!
Have a great day
Kim

Kiki said...

Sounds so fun! Glad you and your mom got some girly time. Can you imagine the fun of taking your daughter?!

Emmy said...

How much fun! You all deserved it!

You can look forward to doing this with your daughter one day!

It is my favorite thing to drive to Atlanta and spend the day shopping and eating with my girls! Their dream is to go California... that is what Lizzy wants for her 16th birthday! If we do you'll have to give us the scoop!

Glad you had so much fun!

Dionna said...

You are so great about including every little detail descriptively so that I can picture it so clearly! Sounds like a great time and how exciting to get free stuff at Old Navy!
Plus - I think it's so great that you long to share this stuff with your sister. :)

Marla Taviano said...

That is SO FUN! And so awesome about the Old Navy bag. Woooooohoooooo!!!

LeighAnne said...

Congrats on the "winning coupon." Isn't God so sweet! I love when he does things like that for me! :)

Erica said...

God is SO good to bless His daughters. Congratulations on winning! What a fun trip that must have been.

Sarah said...

I so happy for you guys! What a fun weekend. I hope I get to do fun things like that with my daughters when they are grown....precious, precious times!

Allison said...

winning free stuff is so much fun! Congrats. :)

Erin Ward said...

That weekend sounds absolutely perfect! And I cannot even believe the Old Navy thing. Seriously!

Anonymous said...

That gift bag was completly anointed. Next time I am in Houston, we are going shopping. That was an awesome birthday gift!

Anonymous said...

Amanda,
Sounds like you and your mom have a wonderful relationship, which is such a blessing in itself. Add to that your obvious love for Melissa, and I'd say your mom def. did something right. I feel blessed to be able to read your blog. Thanks for this story. I would love to go shopping like that, and hey I'm a foodie, so that's always good. Congrats prego mommy! Be blessed and I hope you'll get a chance to visit our blogs soon. My sister and I just started our first meme called The Daily Mercies on Sundays. Check it out, spread the word, and leave some bloggy advice in our comments.
Rena http://insertgracehere.wordpress.com/
and Ginger