Monday, July 27, 2009

Monday Hath Come

We had a fairly low-key weekend that ended with a bang.

On Friday evening we had a little family outing to the mall. Jackson had suddenly outgrown almost all of his shoes and, propriety aside, the pavement is just too hot to run barefoot around town. We bought him some navy blue Crocs for the third summer in a row. They came with some special markers that he can decorate his shoes with. Maybe I will be a cool mom and let him do it. I mean, let's face it, it's not like you can wear Crocs and maintain your fashion sense anyway. Tennis shoes were also on the list but we didn't find any we loved. I may just buy him the same Vans from last year. I think they look great with all his clothes and they have Velcro, which I'm not ready to part with. When does a kid learn to tie his shoes, anyway? I'm still scarred from potty training and am really not ready to attempt that. According to the magical foot measuring fairy, Jackson's feet have gotten too wide for his current shoes, not too long. Stink.

That night we used our Joovy Caboose stroller for the first time. It has a place for Annabeth's infant carrier and a place for Jackson to either sit or stand. He hasn't ridden in a stroller since he threw a hundred and one fits about it last summer, but he was okay with this one. We'll see how long it takes for the novelty to wear off. We drew lots of stares. I don't know if it was because the stroller looked weird or because my children are just so lovely and well behaved!

I took these pictures on the day I assembled it. (Here's a hint for expectant moms. Put all your baby gear together yourself if you can. Then you'll be an expert on how to work all the contraptions.)





This is how the stroller looks with the infant carrier in it. I didn't know it could do that, otherwise I would have used it a lot sooner. Also, mom said I can't show any more pictures of Sir in his unders or he'll be mad at me later. This is the last time I guess.



I've had some questions about that t-shirt. Someone from Boone, NC, gave it to my mom for Jackson.





We had a lazy Saturday morning. Curtis worked on the guest room closet and I worked on a little art project. I've made such good use of my craft table lately! Later I tried to take Jackson to the neighborhood pool. When we got there at noon, the place was empty except for the lifeguards who seemed to be cleaning the pool. I didn't bother getting us out and asking; it was totally closed. Someone must have pooped in the water. I feel bad for that someones mom.

I hated to disappoint my kid and I'd already sacrificed our cleanliness to the sunscreen, so I called up my grandpa and asked if we could swim in his neighborhood pool. Pappaw was so generous to meet us there and get us in. He actually stayed with us the entire time and we loved getting to spend that time with him. Jackson was happy to have a new and exciting pool to swim in. This pool was actually in the neighborhood where I grew up. I think the last time I swam there I was in 8th grade. Of course my sentimental self relished being there again, even though the pool had seen better days. There were two teenage girls talking to the male lifeguard the whole time. Not only did I feel annoyed that they were distracting him from watching my kid (hello, old woman), but I felt embarrassed for them that they were probably annoying him to death and had no clue. That also made me feel nostalgic because my friend Erin and I spent untold hours annoying the lifeguards in our junior high glory days.

That night we went to see Travis Cottrell's concert at a local church. I don't think I need to tell you that we loved it. Annabeth wore the special blue dress that the Cottrells gave her so she'd be so pretty when she met Travis and the praise team. She was a little scared of Travis but she went right to Nate. So funny!

Yesterday was church and then lunch at my parents' house. Mom cooked a roast and it was the best meal since the last time she cooked it. She makes some mean gravy. While we were there I found a decorative box where I stashed a bunch of keepsakes from when I was 18 and 19. I found a handful of letters and cards from my mom, cards from all my friends for my 18th birthday, and tons of embarrassing pictures. When I was 19 I had an awful, horrible, no good, very bad haircut. Seriously. And braces! My word, the braces! In all the pictures I'm trying to smile without showing them and it just wasn't cute. Bless my heart. Maybe that was God's judgment against me for all the sins of my 18th year. The best thing I found in the box was a birthday card from my Nanny, who passed away less than a year later. By that point Nanny knew she was dying, so what she wrote was long and heartfelt. I'm tearing up right now. I'm so thankful I saved it. I feel like I had a little conversation with her after 11 years.

The rest of the day was uneventful until a big storm came through the area at about 7. The thunder and lightning was so crazy it made our windows shake. (This was our "ending with a bang.") Our electricity went out until 10. We were bored and Jackson couldn't sleep because of the silence. He has been trained since birth to sleep with a fan. I've purposely not used one in Annabeth's room yet for this very reason. Curtis and I had such a good conversation while the lights were out that it felt like date night. I'm thinking maybe we need to shut down the computers in the evenings again.

Holy cow, I almost forgot the craziest part of the weekend. I had to take a pregnancy test. It was negative. *Hallelujah chorus* My hormones are totally wacky right now, which may be why I was in a melancholy stupor for two weeks. I had to take a test at this exact point after having Jackson. I'd had nausea and everything! So had Janelle. I remember actually getting two tests in one box and taking one to her at the church. Ha ha! That is friendship! I've been wondering if I would freak out at five months again and sure enough I did.

One last thing. I'd like to announce that a row of very short baby bangs have begun to make an appearance on my noggin. Enjoy your Monday.

42 comments:

Katie said...

Wow, its as if you have been living my life. We had an identical storm here in VA. I freaked out last week and had to take a pregnancy test. Thank goodness also neg. I also offered the other test to my gal pal who is actually trying to get pregnant. Cool beans. Cool sroller too. I think you got stares 'cause the cute kids and eye popping yellow stroller. Thats my guess. :)

Marc and Charity said...

Cool stroller! I had braces at 19 yrs. of age too- even while dating my husband...lovely! And, I have the baby bangs too!!!

I'm sorry you had to do a test, I would have freaked too!

Angela said...

We did not get the rain on Saturday! We need it too! I think it is funny that it can be storming in one area and 30 mins it can be sunny in another! Love the stroller....I will get one with baby #2!
Enjoy your week!!! ;-)

The Andlers said...

I have short baby bangs too. My little one is almost 8 months. My husband is extremely grossed out by all of the hair in the bathroom. Whenever he finds it around the house or on the baby he lets me know.

I love Jackson's Appalachian shirt. I'm a Carolina girl (the best in the world).

My m-in-law is going to see your mom for the 1st time this weekend at the Deeper Still conference in Greensboro, NC. She's excited

Lauren said...

Those pics are adorable and your mom just might be right, the pics of Jackson are CUTE in his undies, but he might not think that years down the road when you're 70 and still have this blog and blogging about your grandkids by that point, haha!!! :)

Keri said...

I am so bummed I missed the concert Saturday night! I bought 5 tickets, have both my sisters in town so they could go with me, and then put it on the calendar for Sunday night.

Seriously??? My boys are 8 and 10....I thought pregnancy/new baby brain issues would be over by now! I didn't even know I was missing it until I saw Johnnie's post on Facebook about going.

Breathing a sigh of relief for you over the negative test........that would have made life very interesting!

Mocha with Linda said...

Please send the rain up here!!

And don't worry about the shoe-tying. He's way too young. They like them to be able to tie them when they start kindergarten (for the teachers' sake!), and that's usually a stretch for some kids. Some can, but some don't get it until they're closer to 1st grade.

Liz said...

We have that very same stroller - but in vibrant purple - and we LOVE IT! It's the best...and you'll get so much use out of it! =)

mmr713 said...

I have a little boy that just turned 3 and twin 8 month old girls so I love reading your blog. Try the New Balance store for some tennis shoes for your little man. My guy has long narrow flat feet (like his momma) and we always find shoes to fit there since they come in different widths for kids. Good Luck!

lizandbunyan said...

Amanda, I've been reading your blog incognito(sp?) for a little while now and just now commenting. I guess I just had to say something when you pulled out your old pictures. I was in the Phi Lamb sorority at A&M one year with you and remember you with braces and possibly the haircut? I'm a few years older than you so you may have been a freshman and I a junior or senior. Anyways, I know what you mean about pulling out old pictures. Its amazing how styles change over the years and how things we thought that looked cool on us then were really just quite hideous!
Your babies are precious! Thanks for allowing me to read your blog. Blessings to you and your family.

Cindy said...

My weekend was a real thriller too! I live in North Carolina so I love the Appalachian shirt. Go Mountaneers!!I love your blog and you are a super great mom! Speaking of, I will be seeing yours this weekend at "Deeper Still" in Greensboro, NC. Been prayin' for months for those precious ladies.

Love,

cindy-newmercieseachday

Averyswife said...

It's good to know I'm not the only mom who goes through those wacky hormones several months AFTER having a baby. The same thing happened after both of my kids: right around when they were 4-5 months old I started feeling slightly nauseous, having strange cravings, and acting all moody. Both times I took pregnancy tests just in case. It must be something with our bodies leveling out after all the pregnancy and birth stuff or something. Again, glad to know I'm not the only one!

Lauren said...

Oh, I am cracking up at the pregnancy test. I am relatively sure every woman I know has done the same thing. Well, maybe not the crazy hormones 5 months after giving birth part, but definitely the "Oh my gosh, am I pregnant?" part.

Heather said...

I may have to get one of those strollers because I took my regular one on a walk to the grocery store with my two kiddos today and Connor-boo was all over the place. "Look, Momma...they have ____." I am not used to him not being confined and I don't like it! :)
Happy Monday, friend!
P.S. I noticed my baby bangs last week!!! And now you have me scared for a 5-month pregnancy scare- ha!

Spicy Magnolia said...

Yeah for a fun weekend!

I'm so scared to possibly one day being that momma of the kid who pooped in the pool! horror of all horrors! I say a prayer every time we get into one. :)

Is it normal to be in a melancholy stupor 5-6 months after pregnancy!?!? I've sure had them myself!! :( I've seriously wondered if post-partum depression can hit this late after giving birth. Can it? It sounds like you're coming out of your stupor though??? A big hug to you!

bethany said...

Me too on the pregnancy test-no, not this weekend, but when Storey was 4-5 months. I think it was a few of the most nerve-racking moments of my life waiting for those little lines.

And for typing shoes-many third graders don't know how to tie shoes, no need to worry about that one for awhile. I'm a big fan of the Vans slip ons!!

Deirdre said...

wait you can't move on yet. You haven't told us which way you jumped in the "great Christmas stocking debate of 2009"
!!!!

Sounds like you had a perfectly lovely, normal, crazy family weekend.

Mama Bear said...

You are so funny! I love reading your blog!

Bobbie said...

I'm lovin' that stroller! Our son and DIL have just told us they're expecting their first little one. I really enjoy all the websites you talk about on here and am forwarding them on to Jess. They're fun, not your normal baby things and Grandmas love that kind of clothes and bows and stuff.

How great would it be to see Travis just on a whim like that! I didn't realize he was in town, guess I better check his schedule closer.

BTW, those braces were worth their pain--you have a beautiful smile to go with your heart. I wonder if you and all our Siestas realize what a smile can do for someone that is having a bad day! It goes a long way, trust me!

Jackson may not let you live those pictures down!! Even when he's 30--he'll remind you! lol Ours gives me grief and then I get a hug...ya gotta love those sons!

Melanie said...

That's a really cute t-shirt on Jackson, but I guess I'm partial since I'm from Boone. My mom, aunt and I saw your mom when she was hear a couple of years ago, and it was wonderful!

jeanie@mageditor.blogspot.com said...

Your kids are SO cute...it's just too much! Love the stroller.
I have a question. Were you playing musical chairs or why are your dining room chairs all turned around? Just curious! :)
mageditor.blogspot.com

kittyhox said...

Glad to see your little big guy runs around in his undies, just like mine. It makes potty training so much easier. We're finally 100% finished. Oh happy day. Is it weird that I am practically giddy about not changing any more preschooler diapers? This past month has been so freeing!

Amy Beth @ Ministry So Fabulous! said...

I just LOVE her "A" shirt! That's the good thing about Annabeth being all word... you don't have to put an "A" AND a "B" on everything! Why, I may just combine my name. :)

Leah said...

This is my first time commenting but I have been lurking for a while now. I am from Arkansas but live now in due to my husband's job. Anyhow, had to comment on the bangs. When on earth do these little beauties go away/grow out? My daughter is now almost 9 months and they are in full force and so thick and stick straight out. I have tried everything to take them from straightening them down to gel to mousse and they just stick out. Even worse when I go to the gym and sweat and then they are just wet and stick out. Attractive, I know. So please tell me they go away soon?

Other than that- love the blog and reading about your family!

FitzandMolly said...

seriously, i was wondering if you had baby bangs again just yesterday morning. i hadn't noticed them yet...congratulations, i think?

The Clark Clan! said...

I just had to leave a comment and say that we all sleep with fans in our rooms. My mom started it when my 4 brothers and I were little. Two of my brothers are 10 months a part! (How is that for close together? She was pregnant at her 6 week postpartum check up!) She used a fan so us older kids would not wake up the younger ones during naps. So I was addicted from a young age. Now my 3 kids are addicted too. It has worked for us and I highly recommend it.

Theresa said...

Ok Amanda until I read your blog I had know idea that there was this "baby bang" phenomenoem. Now guess what? I have "baby bangs" and I am way past giving birth, try pre-menopausal. Baby bangs are not exclusive anymore...I'm just sayin!

God Bless you and your beautiful family and praising Him for your BIG NEGATIVE!

Theresa

Jen said...

I loved our Joovy at first, too, but don't get too attached. The front seat becomes way too snug for bigger babies and toddlers. My youngest is 2 1/2 and he's completely outgrown it. It's definitely great for new babies, but for those who are reading this, it's not very practical as they grow. I wish I had known that before we bought it.

Mary said...

My kids are all fan dependent and i know it's gonna bite me in the rear one day!

Alana said...

I'm with you girl...I just had to take a test too!!! Talk about your heart racing!!!! I'm ready for my hormones to be normal...or at least normal for me! =)

Sabrina said...

I like to see Annabeth still rocking her "A" onesie:) Makes me smile that she wears it a lot...

Leyla said...

Amanda that stroller is awesome! I absolutely love the picture of Annabeth in the front of it, her eyes are so big!!! Too cute!

Gotta love those storms...they add a little excitement and the lord knows we need the rain!

Ari Oster said...

cool strollers ! cool kids!
my dear friend Ann -mother to 4 beutifull angeles
(ye ,she is my daughter...) , has just published her
blog about parenthood issues , baby gears etc' (you know - life...)
, hope you find it interesting:

Bacbooc.com

enjoy,
Barb
(p.s - Ann - take care with my grandsons!!...)

Amy said...

Your mom is worried about Jackson in his undies? Has she not noticed that most of the tween to early twenty's male population has their undies hanging out the top of their pants? They like it. I have teenage daughters and they don't like their undies to show and while I haven't brought our son home from Haiti yet (46 months of waiting-not that I'm counting) I did spend a month with him in Jan and at age 11 he has no qualms about being seen in his underwear. I guess it's good that he's that comfortable with me.
Amy

Sherri D said...

Ummm, I'm almost 8 months pregnant, and I ALREADY have baby bangs.....does this mean I am in for a really bad case of them? : )

Lesley Boyd said...

Amanda,
Love your blog! Wanted to let you know that the best shoes I have ever bought for my son (5 yrs) are GEOX tennis shoes because they truly do what they say, wick away moisture which means NO SMELLING!! I only buy them when they are on sale (which they are right now), and then they are the same price as New Balance or Nike. Got some for my little girl this year as well! Good luck!

Heather said...

I was getting nervous during those storms Sunday night, I always do with these big skinny trees in our yard, but was thankful for the rain! I love that stroller and had wanted one too, but unfortunately Emma was too big, which stinks cause she can be all over a store! Annabeth's hair is starting to come in, so cute!

Kelly said...

I've been a mostly incognito reader too (I follow your blog through my Google Reader, so I don't usually comment). But I have been thinking of you and praying for you lately! Maybe that's why, last Thursday, I found myself telling someone about "my friend, Amanda Jones..." and realized I had to add "...who has no idea I exist..."!! :) Your blog is a blessing to me, Amanda. My son Will was born just a couple days after Annabeth - I may have commented to that effect once before - and the things you write make me giggle because they are spot on. Anyway, you keep on keepin' on, and I'll keep praying for God's blessings and will for you and your wonderful family!

Oh, and I'm Kelly in Baltimore, MD, originally from Greensboro, NC (wish I could attend Deeper Still there this w/end, and I recognized that App shirt immediately!)... I figure if we're going to be friends, you should at least know my name! :)

Missy said...

Oh, come on, you could do it!

When Shep was four months old, I got pregnant with Eva Rose.

The very same night he first slept through the night, as a matter of fact.

It ain't no thing ;-)

melanie said...

ditto the baby bangs. glad to know i'm not alone.

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, I second the New Balance comment. My brother has wide feet and has worn NB for years!

When my son was 6 months, I knew I was pregnant. Said son was not sleeping through the night, was nursing round the clock and screaming when he wasn't momentarily sleeping and nursing. I was past nice prayers. I spent the entire three minutes moaning, "No God. Oh God, no. No God no."

I was never so glad to flunk anything in my life!! My dear daughter waited another year before taking a lease out on my womb for 9 months!

Michelle said...

I take a pregnancy test when my little man was five months too..I thought I was the only one. It must just be a crazy hormonal five month thing.!
I love hearing your mom stories.