Monday, February 22, 2010

I Missed the Party

Well, I have a lot to blog about but not much time to do it. For Lent I decided to give up time on the computer after Curtis gets home. I also deactivated my Facebook account. I thought I would miss it but my mind is 100% more peaceful now. Isn't that weird? My life feels much quieter.

The weekend was full of highs and lows. The first high was getting to have dinner on Friday night with the directors of our new Sunday school class. I think I failed to mention that Curtis was asked to be the venue pastor for our church's chapel service back in October. Our chapel service meets during the same time as the traditional service. The praise team leads us in worship and then we watch Pastor Gregg on the screen. Curtis does the welcome, announcements, invitation, and various prayers. And if anything goes wrong with the video feed, he has to be ready to preach. Ha! I thought it was going to happen two weeks ago but everything worked out. In order to do this we had to leave our beloved Sunday school class, which has been so hard and so sad! I really miss all my girlfriends. After a major move two years ago and now this, I confess that I've been unmotivated to get to know new people. However, we have settled in a really neat Sunday school class and are starting to make some friends. We'd heard that the directors of our class are known for hosting amazing dinners and they lived up to their great reputation. We had some twice baked potatoes that were slap-yo-mama good. This couple has two adorable daughters who were really sweet to Jackson even though his rambunctiousness was probably a bit of a shock. They're a neat family and we enjoyed getting to know them better.

On Saturday morning we went to the first birthday party of one of Annabeth's sweet church friends. They were born a couple of weeks apart and are in the nursery together pretty much any time the doors open. A wonderful breakfast was served and it made me long for my MOPS days!

After that I ran all sorts of errands to get ready for Jackson's birthday party. I nearly forgot to pick up the cake, which would have been awful!

That night, Lindsee, Missy and I went to Debra's house for dinner. We had cheesy chicken spaghetti, salad, bread, and cupcakes. Yum! We talked 100 mph until it was time to go home. It was so great!

Here's where the weekend took a turn. I woke up at about 3 a.m. and realized I'd been dreaming about not feeling well. Then I realized it wasn't just a dream. Oh dern! I had the pre-throwing up feeling! I went into the bathroom and sank against the cabinet. That's when I realized that if this feeling didn't pass on its own, I would be missing Jackson's birthday party. Bummer. Huge, big, stinky bummer! I did throw up but it did not seem as torturous as having to miss the party. I took some phenergen and pretty much knocked myself out for the next 12 hours. Curtis took the kids to church and I slept the sick away. Later I asked if Annabeth had even had a bath before church. I'd accepted that her outfit probably didn't match, but I hoped she at least smelled nice. I'll let you guess Curtis' answer.

I was really down late that afternoon when my boys left for the party, which was at a local gymnastics place. A few minutes later my mom texted me a picture of the table that she'd set up for the kids and it lifted my spirits. She and a lot of my friends who were there texted me throughout the party and filled me in the details. I knew Jackson was having the time of his life. A little while later my boys walked through the door with a big bag of unopened presents. I loved getting to be there when Jackson opened everything. He's such an enthusiastic little guy that you can't help but share his joy. Thankfully, my parents had taken lots of pictures and Curtis recorded the whole thing on our video camera. I'm so grateful. Now I almost feel like I was there.

By bedtime my body felt like I'd been hit by a truck. After Cold Case, I took a hot bath and then went to sleep. I woke up hungry and feeling much stronger. Thank You, Lord! I even had leftover pizza rolls and cake from the party for lunch.

Now I'm just praying that the rest of my family stays healthy along with the 30 other people I came into contact with over the weekend. Lord have mercy! What a bad time to be socializing! At Jackson's combined second birthday party with Ella, he had pneumonia (we found out that night). And last year Ella came down with a stomach virus on the morning of her 3rd birthday party. February's pretty brutal. I think all the red and pink and hearts and paper doilies are just there to compensate.

Stay well, y'all!

41 comments:

Heather said...

So sorry you missed the party!!! I feel your pain because I have missed several "Connor" things over the last couple of years with my migraines. I am always so heartbroken, but then Connor comes in the door just as excited as ever to "tell me all about it!" The Lord is good to restore the time lost from sickness! I am so ready for Spring with no more germs!!!

Amy Lynn said...

Haven't had to miss birthday parties, but my little one suffered a stomach bug for the 2 days before I took my state boards. It seriously hampered my study time! I prayed so hard that I wouldn't wake up with it that morning and, praise the Lord, I didn't. When we got home that night, after my test, I made it till we pulled in the driveway before I started throwing up!

Bobbie said...

I'm sorry you had to miss the party, but you would've been miserable if you had tried to go! I'm glad to hear you're feeling stronger now, just in time for the 'snow'!! Of all the weather to come in now! I'm so looking forward to 'David' tomorrow night but see that it may be canceled. That's okay, I would much rather everyone be safe instead of on the roads. (And no one will miss the lesson!)

I'm sure Jackson got some fun new things to keep him busy! Is he still crazy about Hot Wheels? We had so many of them in our house for years...love them!

Hope to see you on Tuesday! If not, I hope y'all have a fun filled snow day.

annalee said...

oh poor momma! i'm so sorry for you. i hope you are feeling better soon and getting to love on your handsome four-year-old lots!

Beth Herring said...

Bless your sweet little heart Amanda! I hope that you are feeling so much better today.

Still so amazed that Curtis is such a fabulous dad - taking the kids without you! What a great man you found - even if Annabeth didn't get a bath. At least she got Jesus!

Beth Herring

creative gal said...

I gave up fries for lent thanks to your earlier post. . .well, I actually am doing the healthy eating route. . :) Hope everyone stays healthy!

Roxanne said...

I gave up Facebook 3 weeks ago, and don't miss it at all!

Sister Lynn said...

OK - this is showing my ignorance but I thought it was just Catholics that gave stuff up for Lent! I think the computer fast is brilliant - glad you are alredy reaping the benefits of it!

Have a blessed Lent!

Sister Lynn

CAROL LIVIN FOR GOD said...

Feel better soon Amanda and get some rest girl.
We love you thank you for posting the downloads from the smt on your mom blog you are so sweet.
Stay well
Carol

Rhonda said...

Hate that you missed the party. But praise the Lord for pizza rolls (Double Dave's? LOVE THEM!) Hope you all stay well this week.

Marla Taviano said...

Aw, man. That stinks!! Hope you're feeling better super soon!

Marc and Charity said...

I'm sorry you were feeling so bad. It sounds like the party was fun for Jackson!

The 'Ssippi Scoop said...

Oh my gosh! I can't believe you had to miss his birthday party.

I just wrote a letter to the stomach bug on my blog. You can read about it!

Glad you are feeling better but truely sorry you had to miss the little guy's party.

Kelly @ Love Well said...

I feel so bad for you! To miss your own son's birthday party?!? That's a serious virus.

Thankfully, technology can make up for a world of absence. I'm glad the texts and videos helped you feel included, even if it was after the fact.

Winter birthdays definitely have sickness going against them. If it makes you feel better, my oldest has a summer birthday, and her cross to bear is having most of her friends on vacation when she wants to have her party. The last two years have been rough. No one is in town to come!

Erica said...

I am so sorry...I can't imagine how devastating that would have been. Good thing for technology!!!
My mom and nephew are sick with the same thing. Brooke and I had it last year on my birthday...it is a Feb. thing!
I am hoping to stay well for the Rodeo Run this weekend.
Have a blessed week!

MarytheKay said...

Oh NO! Sooo sorry you had to miss the birthday party...and have the stomach flu...Double whammy. God bless mamas who text pics, and God bless the technology to send them!

I keep waiting for the flu bug to drop at our house...my younger daugher complained today of a tummy ache, and just wasn't herself at all (aka, CRANKY)

Leslie Maddox said...

Ohhh, it's a shame that you had to miss the party. I don't know about you, but when I'm sick I'm so emotional that everything seems so much worse than it is. So if I missed Michael's birthday party because of illness, you would probably hear the Cold Case scream coming out of my mouth. Only way out of tune.

Deirdre said...

oh I hate finding out you are sick right AFTER having gone to a party.
It happened in a really bad way to my hubby last year - we fly to Dallas for a family wedding. We were both tired, but the sore throats and sinking feeling of dread didn't hit till on the plane ride home. Went to the doc the next day only to discover that Martin had H1N1 !!!! we had to send out an emergency family email letting everyone know.

I'm not sure they believed us that we had no idea before hand. We may never get invited to a family function again!

glad you are feeling better.
Deirdre

Michelle said...

Hey Amanda, so sorry your were sick! All three boys had a great time at Jacksons party. Yesterday I was searching for you all over facebook! I thought, What happened to my friend?
Anyhow...hope you are feeling better!!!

HappyascanB said...

How sad to miss your son's party! My sister missed my wedding - yes, my wedding! - b/c of a terrible horrible no good very bad migraine. Sometimes you just can't control when you get sick. So very sorry!!!

Lauren said...

Such a bummer you missed the party but sooo glad Jackson had a wonderful birthday!!!! :)

Monica said...

I can relate! My daughter turns 6 on Thursday, and she and my husband are sick with a stomach bug. I'm starting to feel nauseous but am fighting it with everything in me because someone has to take care of our 10-week old baby boy! Hopefully by Thursday this too shall have passed.

connorcolesmom said...

Oh no!!!
I am so sorry you missed the party :(
Bless your heart!
I hope you are feeling much better and I am praying the yuck has not spread to anyone else!
God bless
Kim

melanie said...

i'm so glad you are feeling better! and i'm glad you got to try the cake... it was DELICIOUS! i hope you have a restful week, my friend.

Anonymous said...

Yuck! Must be going around. Pray you all get/remain well.
Ginger

Dionna said...

I'm so sorry you got sick and had to miss a special day. But you are so blessed with a thoughtful family and I know the texting must have helped immensely.

Angie said...

i've never done the facebook thing because i feel like it does consume people at times/and can be beneficial at times, but i just decided not to. my little girl has a stomach bug too and its been nasty..hope your feeling better soon.

Erin said...

I think you might be in my Sunday school class now! This week was the first week we'd been in a few months... long story why.

Alana said...

So sorry you missed the party! Hope you are feeling better!

Lauren said...

Oh my goodness! How sad that you missed Jackson's bday party! Hopefully everyone will be well next year.

AKat said...

I am sorry you missed the party, but I'm glad you got the play by play with pictures and videos!

Happy 4th Birthday, Jackson!

Sandy @ The Scoop on Balance said...

I'm still stuck on "I deactivated my Facebook account." Seriously...I wish I had the courage to do that. I don't know what keeps me tethered to that dumb thing. I think I need it to keep in touch. But you are right, it adds a certain tension to my day.

Help.

Sandy

April said...

I'm so sorry you missed the party. We've had to call everyone on the day of the day of the party to postpone because of a stomach bug we picked up at VBS. And we did this two different times!

My husband is the venue pastor at our church's modern worship service. We started last Sunday with a packed room! It sounds like he and Curtis have the same responsibilities. It's fun to see someone else doing what we're doing.

Becky said...

So sorry you missed Jackson's b-day party. I actually had my crazy gall bladder attack on Luke's first birthday and we had to cancel the birthday party since I was in the hospital, it was pretty sad. So, I completely understand. I guess it reminds us that we're human and can't be absolutely everything for our kids. Good thing your mom could step in a fill in the gaps for you!

Tara G. said...

I not only deactivated my account, I deleted it and I have no regrets. But I'm writing because I thought of you as I rode the escalators into the bowels of the Kyiv metro today. They have some signs up for Lent and one just makes me laugh- it has a picture of the Orthodox priest and it talks about giving something up for lent, but "just don't eat each other." The sign comes in between other advertisements for McD's (fries, no less!). :) Hope you're back to 100%!

katiegfromtennessee said...

Ooo, glad you are all better now, and you got to watch it all on video:) Very good:)

katiegfromtennessee

Audra Laney said...

I'm very interested to know why you deactivated your FB account. I've thought about it a lot. Sometimes I find out things about people I just don't wanna know. I think I'd remain ignorant and continue to see them through the same innocent eyes. But...is ignorance bliss? I wonder if it gives me a better opportunity to minister to others...but is it making a difference to anyone? Does anyone actually hear/read/pay attention to what I right as it relates to Christianity? idk. I'm gonna pray about it and see what happens...

The Davidson Den said...

Oh, man. Sorry. What a blessing, though, to have a helpful husband and your mom nearby to take over. And how nice that we have the technology to at least make you "feel" like you had been there.

lo.brodi said...

oh my goodness Amanda, I deactivated my FB account too so i could have more time with Jason and more time in general. I spent so much time on that thing...re-diculous! I thought I would miss it and when I pressed the deactivate button my heart raced a little BUT it has been so good and agreed, so much more peace of mind. Such an encouragement to hear you did that too, now maybe I wont be so tempted to reactivate sooner! So glad you got to open presents with your little man and still feel involved! Spring is right around the corner and there will be so many fun in the sun and play days!

Ulovebeth said...

Amanda, I check your blog from time to time, and really enjoy your stories and hearing about your heart.
I was just in the middle of thinking about deactivating my FB account, and you helped motivate me just to do it!
I was thinking about waiting around until after my birthday so I could get all the random birthday wishes, but honestly, I prefer phone calls & cards to facebook blurbs.
God bless.
-Beth

Janelle and Ella said...

Remind me to tell you about what happened before Ella's party this year. I even waited until march to have her party. Next year we might just have a summer party. See you in a couple days!!