Thursday, October 05, 2006

Roomie Weekend

Jackson and I recently went to Lufkin, TX, for a reunion with my college roommates. Mel, Bonny, and I lived together for three years while we went to Texas A&M. Rafiek was our landlord and we sure gave him a run for his money. He was very patient with and generous to the three princesses who called him every week with a new problem. God bless him. For two of the years we lived in building 701 A at Fox Meadows. We had the upstairs apartment on the end of the building, which meant we got an extra window in our dining room and had a vaulted ceiling in the living room. Every girl's dream, right? And it was only half as noisy as the other apartments. All I can say is God gave us unmerited favor with Rafiek.

I'm so thankful for those years with Mel and Bonny and for everything we learned while sharing a roof. It's hard to live with someone you're not related to. The unconditional love that gets you through hard stuff is not natural like it is with family. When you can develop it, you have something really special. God blessed us with that. He taught us how to love another person who comes from an altogether different background, how to persevere and work through conflict, how to encourage, how to communicate, how to cook and clean (some learned these more than others), how to compromise, how to maintain sanity under tremendous stress, and how to have healthy relationships. We didn't realize how much those years would prepare us for marriage. I'd say we worked hard at and fought hard for what we had. We were rewarded with some very special friendships that I expect to last until we're old and gray (and fabulous).

This last year was a dry one for fellowship. Bonny had a baby a year ago in September and Jackson was born in February. It took a while for the foxy ladies to recover. We had a lot of catching up to do and a lot of crazy stories to tell. There was no shortage of laughter. Mel has a baby girl on the way, which means we are all mommies now. Wow. We are a blessed group of girls with a rich history together, wonderful husbands (however different they may be), and the gifts of these sweet babies.

"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen" (Ephesians 3:20-21).

Mel and Bo, here are a few things I miss about living with you:
-The festivus miracle of larvae cookies.
-Cleaning out the fridge and pantry at midnight and spreading the rotting treasures throughout Mike's yard.
-Exercising our spiritual gifts of leaping, jazz hands, and the like.
-Dancing in the living room and prancing down the hallway.
-Watching Friends and all our TLC favorites.
-Decorating for Christmas and pulling Miss China out of the tree.
-Spending hours flipping through the 12 bridal magazines we had hidden in the coffee table, hoping no guy would ever find them.
-Having my soul sisters just a room away!
I love you both!


Jackson meeting Aunt Bo for the first time


Jackson and his new friend Ben


Aunt Mel getting lots of love from Ben


The boys in the "My Mom's a Fox" bibs made by Mel


Hanging out in the Radio Flyer wagon given to Ben by his grandpa on the day he was born


Bonny and Ben, Mel (and Brynne), me and Jackson

3 comments:

AKat said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

What a great post. You are my inspiration for roomie weekends!! I also feel like my roommate in college are my soul sisters...I am glad to hear you still make time for each other and now you get to all share motherhood together! How exciting. I love roomies. I think at least two of them are coming to India in June...so that will be a roomie adventure.

IIts up to you if you want to switch to beta. I personally like it and haven't felt like it has been a problem switching. So why not? I am glad to see you got your pictures to upload.

I miss you friend...a lot.

The Schmidt Family said...

It was such a fun weekend! I have been so refreshed! What beautiful boys you both have. I'm so blessed to have you roomies!! Love you.