Sunday, June 08, 2008

Everybody Was Kung Fu Fighting

We had a big first with Jackson on Friday. We went to see Kung Fu Panda. (Yes, I know. Curtis owes me big time! Foreign films are on the docket.) I will consider this his first movie even though it was technically his third. It was our first time to make it through the whole movie. When he was about four months old I took my two boy cousins, who were staying at my house and going to church camp with me the next day, to see Nacho Libre. He only made it half-way before we had to go bounce around in the hallway. But it was all good because I'd already seen the movie with Curtis. The next movie was one of those $1 morning shows last summer. He made it until our popcorn ran out, which was half-way. So on Friday we got a large popcorn and brought a little cup from home that he could hold in his lap. Worked like a charm. Homeboy can put away some popcorn, y'all. I was concerned that he would want to get out of his chair and throw a fit, but that was actually not his problem. It was the talking. And his talent for mimicking the sound effects. Let's just say he was enthusiastic about Kung Fu Panda. So when you're in a kids movie (especially a cartoon), at what point do you take your child out for being loud? Can you get away with more at a matinee?

We nearly heaped trouble on ourselves when we left the theater without his two little monster trucks, but Curtis was able to retrieve them before the cleaning crew swept them away into a garbage bin. Whew. The monster trucks received a new name last week. They were originally "monchy trucks" or "mommy trucks." Now they go by the name "monsh." Bless his heart, he spent two days asking for monsh before we figured out what he meant.

On Saturday I went to step aerobics (missed you, Missy B!) and then went to Shipley's to get Curtis the dozen donuts he asked for. Curtis will be spending some time at the gym this week, God love him.

Later on we went to swim at the Altic's pool and grill burgers and chicken sandwiches. It was the perfect weather for doing that. Kay's parents, the HFBC interns (which all four of us used to be), and the Smith family stopped by the pool too. Fun times. Jerrell made some guacamole that I really just wanted to eat with a spoon.

Sunday morning we went to church for the first time in two weeks. It was good to be back. Our Sunday School class is finally zoned to the CLC, which is the main worship venue while the sanctuary is under construction. It was great and worth the wait. Jackson fell asleep on the way home and ruined all of our naps.

Later in the afternoon we dropped him off at my mom's house and went to visit one of our old DBU students who is in the hospital. Please pray for her. She has been there 11 days and has had 3 surgeries. She now has blood clots in her arm. It's summer and she is ready to take road trips with her friends and do all the things you're supposed to do when you're 20 years old. Please pray that she will be completely healed asap and get to go home.

Afterward, Curt and I had a really nice dinner at Grotto. We got this dessert that I found described on another web site as a "strawberry and ricotta angel food bombe...decorated with shaved strawberries and whipped cream." Oh my. Kelly, I will take you to this place if you ever find yourself in Houston. The dessert tray is three levels high! I will also be frequenting the gym this week, God love me.

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda,
I found you site through Marla's site...since we share a name we connected online. I loved reading through your posts and Jackson is the cutest ever! Thanks for the thoughts you shared in your blog...I love it when someone new helps you to stop and think.

Blessings on you and your precious family.

Anonymous said...

I'll have to take the kids to see that movie! I think at kid's movies you can pretty much get away with anything (except maybe an all out screaming tantrum).
The pool side BBQ sounds like a lot of fun too!
I will definitely pray for your former student's healing.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you haven't commented on not having to get Jackson ready and drive to church alone on Sunday mornings! Are ya' lovin' it? :-)

Ashley said...

I'm going to need to hit the aforementioned gym this week as well. There's nothing like stepping on the scale and asking, "How did I gain ten pounds in the past three weeks?"

Nancy Mon said...

I love the Grotto...yea...I go for the entrees...No, I just lied,I only go for the Italian Wedding Cake... I love that stuff. It is a good thing the Grotto is at an intersection in Houston that is way too busy all of the time or we just might find ourselves there every weekend. When the Grotto was on Woodway across from Second, we would go almost every Saturday for pizza and wedding cake. Those lunches were foundational to our marriage. Ha ha!

Missy said...

What a fun weekend!!!

I am SO sad I didn't make it to the gym Saturday...I did do a quick run around here before I attempted doing the yard work solo as hubby was out of town. I was thankful I did it so early bc I would have passed out in that afternoon heat.

We need to get together soon. I miss our weekly catch up time! I am doing swim lessons this week, so probably won't be at our normal classes at the gym. :( Unless I come tonight after getting out of the pool.

Marla Taviano said...

God love you. :)
Guacamole with a spoon--now that's a good idea!
Praying for your friend in the hospital.
My 2-year-old has never been to a movie. Maybe she can make her debut soon.
Have a great week, Kung Fu Manda!

Kelly said...

I'm thinking I could walk to Houston and be there in a few months and that way I'd be skinny enough to eat all that quacamole you talk about PLUS the desserts. And I can skip the gym (and save gas!)
One day we WILL break bread together! :-)

Kelly @ Love Well said...

Some things are worth frequenting the gym.

Momma 2...5 said...

I am so jealous!! I grew up with Shipley's donuts, and there is not one anywhere close to me. They are THE BEST!!!!! (I secretly like them even more than Krispy Kreme.)

Thanks for saring about your weekend. It sounds like it was a good one!

Love you!
Amanda in SC

Anonymous said...

We loved Kung Fu Panda, too! We went Friday for my son's 5th birthday. He's started this summer not taking any naps and it's tough to get past 7:30 with a smile on his face. So, we went to the 5:00 show and had the popcorn in hand, but he wanted the candy (but there was none to be had). He kept saying, "Mommy, I'm hungry." in his whining voice, but I kept trying to remind him dinner was on it's way! The weird part was that some people brought very tiny babies with no other kids in tow. That was a bit odd considering the baby couldn't really understand nor enjoy the movie experience. Maybe the parents just really needed some time away from the house! My little man is all about the monster trucks too. Just wait until Jackson says that Grave Digger is his favorite. We were like, who's Grave Digger? And he said, "my monster truck, silly." Blessings, Amy in OK

katiegfromtennessee said...

"Homeboy can put away some popcorn, y'all." This just cracked me up when I read it! You are funny Amanda! and then "On Saturday I went to step aerobics (missed you, Missy B!) and then went to Shipley's to get Curtis the dozen donuts he asked for. Curtis will be spending some time at the gym this week, God love him." That cracked me up too:) It must be a southern thing to say that before you make a comment about someone:) My fam is like, "Awww, God bless their heart!"

I am blessed to know you had a great time at church! I had missed last week being at the beach, and boy, do you ever feel it when you miss church. Two weeks?? I would be lovin' church too after that:)

"he dessert tray is three levels high! I will also be frequenting the gym this week, God love me."
Okay, totally understand Amanda-totally. Have a blessed day...:)

katiegfromtennessee

Dionna said...

I think it's more of an event for us moms to experience the "First" movie than it is for the kids!

Anonymous said...

Popcorn it is all about the popcorn when taking littles to the movies. I always get the large! H

Jenna said...

Yay for Jackson being such a big boy at the movies! Glad y'all had a great weekend. And I'll definitely say a prayer for your friend!

Holly said...

What a fun weekend!! I'm glad that Jackson loves popcorn and sound effects and monsh. I'm glad that Curtis likes donuts and that you like strawberry and ricotta angel food bombe...decorated with shaved strawberries and whipped cream--it just makes me love your family even more!

Have a marvelous week and I will be praying for your friend in the hospital--her story made me cry.

With love,
holly

Anonymous said...

My opinion on kid's movies and kids . . . . when I go to kid's movies I 100% expect kids to be there and to make noise. The point at which I think one should remove their child is when said child is, a.) crying loudly, b.) screaming, c.) running in the aisles, or d.) a combination of all of the above. Kids talking, mimicking the movie, saying things like, "OH! He funny, Mommy, he real funny," should be completely expected. And, quite frankly, I love it when the little ones do things like that at kid's movies.

MamaCass said...

We took Tobey to see this on Saturday and it was "technically" his first movie too! He was so good. He kind of did the talking and laughing thing too but we were in a theater full of kids so I wasn't too worried. We really wanted to see Indiana Jones but we kind of got our action fill with this little cartoon. It was pretty good.

Sunni at The Flying Mum said...

I took Ava to Veggie Tales at the Harkins Summer Movies on Thursday. She sat the entire time eating her popcorn. Lots of popcorn is the key to life. She talked a lot too. She probably wished Jackson was there. Maybe their hands would have accidentally brushed each other in the popcorn bucket. So romantic!

Anonymous said...

Go Poe! We took the kids (Maddie, 7, Charlie, 4 1/2, & Sophia, 3 months) on Saturday for Pizza & Kung Fu. We were the last ones in the theather and some Kung Fu was going done at the front of the theatre... Charlie was GLUED to the screen! A great family night out! As for the gym and dessert... too little gym and too much dessert :O)

Lauren said...

I can't get over this phenomenon of how falling asleep in the car will make a child not nap when he gets inside. The other day, Noah fell asleep a block from our house. He slept for 30 seconds--30 SECONDS--and would not take a nap when I got him inside. Craziness.

Lauren said...

Oh, and Nathan is so jealous of Curtis' dozen donuts. He misses Shipley's so much. :)

Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

anything with the words strawberry and bombe in the same description has to be fabulous.

oh, and a donut trick. have you ever fried day old donuts? krispy kreme is the best but any will do. just butter a skillet and mash your donut flat while frying it until it's heated through.

heaven.

connorcolesmom said...

I can't wait to take my boys to that movie
I am glad to hear it was good
I told my hubby that I would take the boys today since it is TOO HOT to be outside but he said "I want to go too"
So I guess we will wait until Sat
hehe
Praying for your college student
May God heal her completely and give her comfort while she recovers
Blessings
Kim

Shan said...

Amanda, I'm a newbie to your blog, but have "met" you on the LPM blog. As a former Houstonian, I'm having hunger pangs for Shipley's now. Let me tell you--there's nothing like Shipley's in Northern VA! :) Enjoy some doughnuts for me and some kolaches (am I spelling that right? We've been back in VA for 4 years now) for my husband and kids. :) XO,
Shan

Anonymous said...

Kung Fu Panda sounds like a foriegn film to me! I think Curt is off the hook.

Katie said...

Oh my goodness, I'm commenting on like 5 posts in a row, but I relate to them all! We just celebrated (as mentioned) and we just saw Kung Fu Panda on Father's Day after church.

My Jack is Jackson's age (roughly...a bit younger,I think...) and I kept saying, "shhhh," to which he repeated "I sorry, mommy! I sorry. I SORRY MOMMY!" Like I was abusing him! Sheesh. (But it was cute and funny to remember, certainly.)