Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day '08

Happy Father's Day to the men who read this blog - all four of you! I hope you enjoyed a great day with your offspring.

This morning we woke up and got ready for church as usual. (And YES I am enjoying having Curt home to help us get ready on Sunday mornings. We haven't been late one time!) Jackson and I gave him the new George Strait CD, Tim McGraw's Greatest Hits, and some framed portraits of Jackson that I had done last week. One will go to his new office and the other will be in our house. It was my first time to take Jackson to one of those portrait studios. Gasp! It was also my last. It was just as awful as I thought it would be. Jackson does not like to pose for pictures. Thankfully we did get some good ones. I was going to cook my husband's favorite meal tonight, but I gave him a coupon for it instead. It involves raw chicken and y'all know my issues, so I have to pump myself up to make it. The coupon requests 24 hours notice.

My sister came to town today, so lunch after church at my parents' house was extra fun. Mom made roast, mashed potatoes and gravy, broccoli rice casserole, and rolls. Oh, and homemade pound cake. Thank You, Jesus. It was sooooooo good. After lunch, Curt and my dad played golf and the rest of us were lazy at home. The Tate girls had given my mom a children's book called Dog Heaven and we took turns reading it and bawling. It is a precious book. I would recommend it if your child (or parent) is going through the loss of a dog or two.

Tomorrow LPM is having its first board meeting since we moved to the new place and afterward we are hosting an open house. The office I occupy once a week with my co-workers, Sherry and Jenn, has been in desperate need of some decorating. We are only there once a week and all have small children, so we just haven't had what it takes to decorate it. We had to do something with the bare walls before the open house. I am so excited because our ministry director let me commission my friend Corey to decorate it for us. Tonight we went to the office to see everything she had done. It is AMAZING. I cannot wait for everyone to see it. I am going to take some pictures to show y'all what a great job she did. I will look forward to my one day a week in the office even more now!

The whole day was great, but there was definitely a highlight that beat all. We got some huge, great, awesome news that we are going to have a new niece or nephew! Curt's sister Lindsay and her husband Matt are expecting a baby this December. Praise the Lord! Sister has some crazy self-control because they did not tell a soul until today and she is already in her second trimester. We are all thrilled and personally, I am rooting for her to be in the pink club. We get the news - pink or blue - in just a month! Lindsay, that little baby is so lucky to have you for a mommy.

I feel like I need to say more about the men in my life (Curtis, Dad, Pappaw), but I already poured out my heart to them in their cards. So I'll just say that I feel very fortunate to be loved by some of the most unique, committed, loving men on the face of the earth. And I'm also very thankful for the men in my husband's life - like his dad, grandfathers, and mentors - who have helped shape him into the great husband and father he is. Curtis, you are a spectacular daddy and you impress me more and more with every passing month. Your son adores you and he thinks you're the coolest.

Finally, if today was a hard day for you, for whatever reason, I pray that tomorrow will be doubly blessed. Know that your Father loves you.

21 comments:

Ashton said...

Hi Amanda,
Open house? When? Is this just for a few select people to come? A couple of people from LPM mentioned it to me but was just wondering? allison

Lindsee Lou said...

Congratulations to Curt's sister! That IS some self control to keep it a secret for so long!

Sounds like a great, relaxing day!

And an open house?!! I want to come!! ;) Hope y'all have a blast showing off the new office. I am sure it is precious!

Have a great week, Amanda!

Erin Ward said...

I am so extremely excited that we finally get to have a little baby that will stay here in Springfield! :)

Amy Beth @ Ministry So Fabulous! said...

Oh, I can't WAIT to see pictures of your new office! I love that kind of stuff. When I go into an office supply store, I can stay for hours. Just this morning I had to drop something off at Staples for Starlite and spent some quality time in the rubberband aisle. I can't help myself -- it's a sick addiction.

Decoractions just make it even worse. AUGH. :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful day with your family!

BTW, I'm working up the nerve to take Woggie for his two year pics. He's had pictures made a few times already, but not once since he's hit the "twos". I say I'm waiting for the "skeeter" bites to heal on his legs, but really, I'm just trying to psyche myself up for it!

katiegfromtennessee said...

Hey Amanda,

loved this post too-I'm am blessed to know ya'll had a great Father's Day!...God love your heart with Jackson and the pics...and Melissa got to join you all-that must have been great to be able to give her hugs in person...homemade pound cake (my mother-in-law, Becky makes fabulous pound cake:)...hope the board meeting is productive and that would be the coolest to see what your office looks like:)..congrats on the pregnancy report! Fun stuff!...Amanda, girl, you are very, very fortunate and blessed to have such godly men in your life who pray for you and love you and would do anything to protect you, esp. your husband. Also, I am sure your dad loves you girls soo much!

"Finally, if today was a hard day for you, for whatever reason, I pray that tomorrow will be doubly blessed. Know that your Father loves you."
Oh, yes, Amanda, thankyou for that! I know that I know. Even when things don't make any sense. Praise the LORD!

katiegfromtennessee
p.s. sorry, long post!

Dionna said...

I look forward to seeing pics of your office!

Kelly said...

I can't get broccoli rice casserole out of my mind now. :-)
Congrats on the new neice or nephew!!! So great that Jackson will have a cousin fairly close in age - and Lindsay is super woman for keeping her secret that long!

Holly said...

I can't wait to see pics of your office! How much fun!

Oh and my Chris began Curtis' book today. He woke me at 6:15am to say goodbye on his way to work and these are his words, "I like it." Short and sweet, but that is just how he is--not a man of many words. I am so thankful for the work Curtis (and you) put into this. It is certainly a blessing to me, too! I LOVE to see my Chris in the Word.

Love y'all!
holly

Allison said...

Hey girl! They also make a cat heaven book-- I have that one...it is a real tear jerker... :)

Fran said...

So much to be thankful for Amanda.
I'm thankful for the wise men in your life because they pour out through you as well.

Can't wait to see the pix!

Congrats on all the awesome things at LPM. I'm thanking God every single day for the ministry and what you all have done for this very broken girl.

Hope Momma Beth is celebrating BIG with all of you.
Hugs,
Fran

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

You so honor your husband and your family! Hope your Open House is full of the presence of your God! Can we a Blog Open House?

Carolina Mama said...

Too fun! Love hearing about Jackson ;) and Happy Anniversary! Feel like I know you through your Mama and our so similar upbringing right down to the Mother's Day dinner. God Bless and thanks for the stories. It's Mountain Man who gets our family to church on time!

Marla Taviano said...

What a sweet, upbeat, happy post! Praising God with you for your wonderful men. He's given me lots of 'em too!

Anonymous said...

Neither one of my kids enjoyed posing for pictures. The best pictures we ever had done was by a woman in a studio who just let them be. Those pictures are priceless and my favorite to this day. I'm glad you did manage to get a couple of Jackson.

Can't wait to see the office!

Sunni at The Flying Mum said...

Congrats, Aunt Amanda! Wonderful news!

Linda Vujnov said...

I enjoy reading your blog. I have added you to my list and would love to be on yours! I found you through Erin @ And Baby Makes Three and Linda @ Mocha with Linda.

You can also check out my "If Only" article at www.MOPS.org

Thanks Amanda!

Katie said...

Nothing like good men in your life, is there? Have fun at the new office, y'all!

Amy said...

Amanda,
I understand your fear of setting up official portraits with a toddler! I just takes lots with my digital. I've done professional photos 1 time in his three years of life :-)

Anonymous said...

I am so glad your family had a wonderful Father's day. It put a smile on my face. Unfortunately, my father passed away last Thursday, so Father's day was difficult this year. Honestly, there were so many things to do and so many people in town that we kind of got through the day without a lot of talk about it.

Anyway, treasure those memories and make as many as you can!!

Anonymous said...

Amanda,
I wanted to let you know that Nathan and Christy Nockles are moving to Atlanta. I thought you might want to let Melissa know. I have heard your Mom say that you guys are friends with them.
It might be nice to have a friend waiting for you when you move to a new town.

Candy Smith