Sunday, April 26, 2009

Boring Recap of an Unboring Weekend

It's five o'clock and I'm in the post-nap fog. I have a caffeine headache because I never had my tea this morning, but to have it now would mean I would go to bed very late. But you know what? It sounds really good, so I'm gonna have to make some.

Hold on a sec.

Okay, I'm back. In those six minutes I also cleaned the kitchen - score!

Mom and I are officially obsessed with Melissa. Every time we talk, she's the main topic of conversation. We know that she and the team of Compassion Bloggers made it to Kolkata. I can't even imagine how tired they are. I'm really looking forward to reading her first post.

Here's what we did this weekend. On Friday we got to have dinner with Rusty and Emily from our Sunday school class. Rusty grilled steaks for us and they were amazing. They have an 20-month-old boy who is incredibly darling and makes me miss Baby Jackson in his footie pajamas. Emily speaks Spanish with their son and it's so charming.

Speaking of Baby Jackson, my friend Amber was in town last week and we got to see her and her boys. Her oldest, Titus, used to refer to our son as Baby Jackson. He could not wrap his sweet head around the fact that 3-year-old Jackson was the same as Baby Jackson. He said, "Mama, that is not Baby Jackson." So funny. Upon their first meeting, he was quite taken with Annabeth and told his mommy he wanted to pray for her. How sweet is that? Jayk Altic also prays for her. If we had betrothals in our culture I would be so happy.

(Headache's already gone. Thank you, PG Tips.)

Saturday morning we went to a birthday party in a park. It was a great time. The birthday girl's family brought a little potty to the pavilion, which was an awesome idea and also so funny. Partying with preschoolers is a totally different ballgame.

Annabeth and I spent the rest of the day with my mom. We got some summer clothes for Jackson and had a snack at Einstein Bros. Bagels. Then we hung out with dad until it was time for me to go home.

That evening I came across a ragdoll cat that was the spitting image of the one I grew up with. I had Grayson from before Kindergarten until age 21. She was some kind of old when she passed. She was really ornery but so beautiful and with fur as soft as a rabbit's. For some reason I've really been longing to have another cat, but I realized I just want her back. So it was nice to pet that little ragdoll cat and remember what Grayson was like. Don't be fooled because in the great Moore tradition of ridiculous nicknames, we never called that cat Grayson. She was known as Sthune. I won't even try to explain that one.

This morning we went to church. I thought we were going to be so late that I suggested we just go have breakfast and then go to the service. Somehow we made it happen though and we made it to Sunday school before the teaching started. I sent a bottle with Annabeth and got to enjoy church without interruption. On the way home we were too tired to deal with going out to lunch, so we just ordered a pizza. Then I took my nap while my very generous husband stayed up with our two sleepless children. Of all days! Annabeth is seriously resisting the Sandman today. Except for two 10 minute segments of sleep, she has been awake since noon. It is now 8:22 (this post has taken me forever to write). Good grief, little woman! Give it up!

Y'all, I just had to ask my husband to please turn off Phineas and Ferb. Jackson is not awake. Why does my man like cartoons? There are MANY worse things to watch, but I need a break from cartoon music. I should not have to listen to that stuff after the sun goes down. For reals!

34 comments:

Tara G. said...

Amanda, you're just precious!

Jill said...

My husband watches Phineas and Ferb too. He loves it. He claims he watches to bond with our 12 year old son, but I've caught him watching all by himself.
I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who writes blogs and they sit on the page for hours before I finish them.
Praying for the India team everytime they come to my mind.

Marla Taviano said...

This was so not boring. I want to be charming and speak Spanish to my kiddos!!

Sthune?? Yowzers.

boomama said...

This afternoon David was singing the Phineas and Ferb theme song. There's no escaping it. It's Alex's favorite show IN THE UNIVERSE.

I cannot get the Compassion trip off my brain. Thinking about them all the time. Praying like crazy.

Jennifer said...

"Mom, Phineas and Ferb are making a title sequence!" Yeah, I hear ya'!

Angela said...

My husband was watching the Penguins from Madagascar and the kids were napping. I told him he could change it. he finally did after the episode was over. I need a break from those cartoons too. Our rule is no cartoons after nap.

Faith said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend! My mom has a ragdoll cat and you are right about them being beautiful and so soft and cuddly. He weighs more than our dog though!

So glad to hear that Melissa landed safely. Praying for them all!

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

We are all anxiously awaiting Melissa's first post also! I think she is just the bravest thing going to India with the Compassion group. Praying she doesn't have any of her migraines while she's there!

Also, I enjoyed reading about your weekend. Hope the tea didn't keep you up too late tonight! :)

Marilyn

Holly said...

My Chris likes Phineas and Ferb, too. Of course, he also likes Star Wars Clone Wars, so cartoons are a way of life around here.

I totally was to know the Sthune story.

Oh, and I have thought of the India team all day--praying for a safe journey and many joyfilled opportunities.

Love,
Holly

PS Pete's update from India and the "holy cow" story cracked me up!

KR said...

Sthune? I am seriously thinking you hit the S by accident. Not that Thune makes more sense... I guess if Gwyneth can name a daughter Apple..the Moores can have a cat Sthune. You guys crack me up.

Rachel said...

My little Addison loves Phineas and Ferb... as well as my husband!

Sunni at The Flying Mum said...

Ha! Sometimes in the middle of the afternoon I'll be in a really bad mood, and I stop to ask myself, "self, why are you in such a bad mood?" Then I realize it's because a kids' show's music is playing on my tv for the hundredth time. I give you a word on wanting the cartoons off.

Heather said...

Sounds like a great weekend to me! Hopefully Annabeth will sleep good tonight after her marathon day!

Anonymous said...

My 11 year old daughter came downstairs last week and said, "Dad is watching SpongeBob in your bedroom. And he's laughing." He was alone :-)

Marc and Charity said...

Yeah for you that you found PG Tips there! HEB?

They opened up a Costco here in town and we went the other day- you can buy PG Tips by the thousands!! :)

Bethany said...

Let me tell ya, I am also wishing for the days of betrothals and arranged marriages. Hand-picking my sons/daughters-in-law sounds fabulous...

~Bethany

Rhonda said...

Love Phineas & Ferb myself:)

Sarah said...

I didn't know you had a cat named Grayson! I'm not sure I've ever heard of an animal with that name, but maybe that's because I can't picture a Grayson being anything but a little boy with blond hair and blue eyes :)

My best friend's sister was going to name her first daughter Scout, when she remembered that's our dog's name. So she named her Gracie instead, and I didn't have the heart to tell her that's our cat's name. :)

Superchikk said...

I have to admit, I love Phineas and Ferb. Something about the playground/schoolyard style cartoons that sucks me in every single time.

And yeah, I took forever to write a post last night, obsessing over one paragraph. The things we do for blogs.

Tara said...

You are just too cute...

I too have been thinking so much about the Compassion bloggers and can't wait to hear a word from Melissa. Praying for them like crazy!

And yay for Curtis. What a great hubby and father to let you rest on a Sunday afternoon!

Hope the kids will take naps for you today!

connorcolesmom said...

Ok youLORD that Melissa and team made it!
I have been praying for them
Sounds like a great weekend :)
And Phineas and Ferb totally makes me LOL
I have found myself watching that cartoon when kids are not around - I know - crazy!!
Have a blessed day
Kim

Michele Helms said...

Speaking of your sister...one of my "blog friends" is on the trip with your sister. I love to read Pete and Brandi Wilson's blogs...they are an awesome couple. I thought you would get a kick out of this post...http://withoutwax.tv/2009/03/09/revolutionary-parenting/.....of the reference to your mom because...it is hilarious! Maybe Pete can a picture of Melissa??!!

Lauren said...

You are sooo funny, Amanda!!! Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend :)

Inksstillwet said...

I KNOW! Let's turn off the cartoons already! It's pretty adorable when hubs and the boy are snuggled up on the couch watching the cartoons together, but when our son goes to bed, the cartoons should go off too!

Anonymous said...

It's a guy thing... (the cartoons..)

Heather said...

Why don't I know what Phineas and Ferb is? So out of the loop! Steaks sound yummy right now! Glad to hear that your sister made it safely to India. Praying for them!

Moose Mama said...

Our family LOVES Phineas and Ferb. In a FB quiz, my daughter said I remind her of Ferb. I don't see how....the dude never talks and I don't shut up.

Thanks for the update!

Melana

Jennifer said...

My husband watches and laughs at Handy Manny. I have caught him watching it when the kids weren't here.

Anonymous said...

Not boring at all! Fun post!
Amy

Sharon said...

LOL! My man likes watching cartoons, too! I tease him about it every now and then. What's up with men and their cartoons?

Kelli said...

Can I tell you how much that I LOVE that you LOVE hot tea? :)

katiegfromtennessee said...

I like this random post, Little momma. You have lots of friends with kiddles, that means lots of friends for Jackson and Annabeth as they grow up:)...I had a two pet cats briefly...Sthune, sounds German:)you crack me up!

Hope you get good naps in-I'm wantin' one today myself:)

katiegfromtennessee

Misty M. said...

Haha! I love reading about your family. I have to laugh because my husband and 3 yr old son love to watch Phineas and Ferb too. We had to get rid of satelite (aka all television) a year ago and they occasionally watch it on the disney website.

The Davidson Den said...

How does one even go about proNOUNCing a name like "Sthune"???