Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Teaming Up with My Sis

Several months ago I got an email from Shaun Groves regarding a Compassion blogger trip to Kolkata (Calcutta), India. In case you've never heard of anything like this, Compassion takes bloggers to see their project sites in various countries so that they can help get sponsors for those children. Curt and I have been sponsoring a Compassion kid in Honduras since we were newlyweds, so I was really blessed and excited to have been contacted about a blogger trip. But there's the little matter of a certain newborn by the name of Annabeth Ellen Jones. Right now it's just not my season for mission trips. I'm sitting the bench, riding the pine, sidelined - whatever you want to call it. I do miss going, but I know that time will come again before long. It's simply not possible when I have a newborn nursling.

Anyway, I was bummed to have to say no and wishing I could help in some way. Then my sister Melissa came to mind. Hmmmm. Maybe she could go. But I kept my thoughts to myself. A few days later, my mom and Melissa randomly met Shaun at Travis' concert in Woodstock, GA. God was laying some puzzle pieces down and the picture started coming together. To make a long story short, Shaun asked my sister to go on the trip and she said yes. God's hand in this was unmistakable. It was super exciting to see it play out.

Melissa is going to be blogging about her Compassion trip to Kolkata here on Baby Bangs as well as on the LPM blog. I am so thrilled to get to partner with her in this way. My sister and I are as different as night and day, but we have the same blood running through our veins and the same desire to serve God with our lives. It's really special to get to work for Him together in as many ways as we do.

Y'all will love hearing from Melissa. There's just no one on the planet like her. She's brilliant, loves the Lord, hilarious, and speaks her mind. Please pray that God will use my sister, the gifts He's given her, and the platform she has to help release children from poverty and bring great praise and glory to His name.

She will post here soon, but in the meantime you can check out some of her personal prayer requests for the trip over at the LPM blog.

25 comments:

Tara said...

This is so neat! I have been and will be praying for Melissa as she goes, and can't wait to see her posts!

Traci said...

That is so exciting- I was thrilled to hear she was going. Can't wait to hear about her trip- we'll keep her and all your family in our prayers. I am so loving hearing about Little Miss Thing- aren't girls so much fun?

Kendra White said...

she is going to have an awesome time... i have personally met Angie Smith and done ministry with her and Melissa will truly be blessed in just being with Ang!

Gran Jan said...

Sisterhood is precious and you two girls are the epitome of sibling sweetness! I know your mama is so proud too.

Melissa & Colin sat right in front of me at that FBC Woodstock concert and Shaun was mesmerizing. So funny, yet so connected with us.

I signed up that night and my husband and I now sponsor a little boy through Compassion named Iduar, who lives in Colombia.

Thank you for this blog and for partnerning with Lis your Sis!

Love y'all,
GA Jan

Kelli said...

Can I just tell you that I LOVE LOVE LOVE how God weaved this together. He is so good. I love how He is using the relationships you have built through your blog and your sisters' ability and desire to travel during this season of life.

You are both going to be making such a HUGE impact on those precious children's lives through this trip!

ocean mommy said...

I'm praying! This trip is really on my heart...can not wait to get updates!!

Missy said...

As a sister migrainer, I am especially praying for her on that one. What an easy way for Satan to distract her.

Fran said...

Amanda...I'm so excited for this team. I absolutely adore some fellow bloggers that are going that live in Nashville. Its going to be one God-thrilling ride for them.

I'm already praying and cannot wait to follow them all. I know that children's lives will truly be saved. I'm already grateful for that.

God is going to show Himself beautifully through this trip.

Blessings,
Fran

lori said...

I can't wait to hear from her. I just love ya both

Holly said...

I have been praying and with a smile on my face, I know that it is going to be a fruit-bearing time for this team.

I can never forget the picture in my mind's eye of your mother's story of the women of India and how she told them how beautiful they were. I can see it--even though I was not there.

I imagine Melissa will have some stories to share that will mark each of us for our lives. I am praying on my knees with much love and joy and hope.
Holly

Kelly @ Love Well said...

I had the privilege of hearing some of this story from Shaun when he was here in MN a few months ago. I'm so excited for your sister -- and for you, that you get to share the journey with her.

I will continue to pray.

Bobbie said...

What a great experience for Melissa and the whole team. Can't wait to hear God's message through her writings!

You're all in my prayers.

Allison said...

What a great opportunity! We'll be praying for you!

Toknowhim said...

Love the backstory about how things came to be... Can't wait to see what happens...

Anonymous said...

God moved a lot of people through Shaun that night. It was wonderful to see.

Sharon said...

Praise God! Will be praying...

Much love,
Sharon, NC

connorcolesmom said...

What an awesome opportunity!
Can't wait to see her updates
Blessings
Kim

katiegfromtennessee said...

This has worked out well! Melissa will be so very blessed! Mission trips never leave you the same. You gotta love the blood sisters God gives you!:) and the spiritual sisters too:):) I look forward to hearing from her:)

katiegfromtennessee

Brittnie said...

Melissa,
(just posted this to LPM Blog as well)
I am so excited for you! I will certainly be praying for you and Shawn and the other team members.

My heart as been in India for several years now and just recently I found out why! We are adopting a baby girl (Bella)from India. We hope to be in India very soon so we can bring her home.

Can't wait to hear how your trip goes and to see what all God does through your team for His Kingdom and His glory!

Brittnie
www.bringingjustice.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

This is exciting! I read this latest post and love your blog design. I came to your blog from a link on another site.

I do not know if you have heard of this young girl's blog but was wondering maybe you could pass along the word. This girl needs our prayers and support.

www.littleoneapril.blogspot.com

Maybe you could spread the word to your community of bloggers on Baby Bangs (love your title and explanation btw!)

In Him.

Amanda May said...

I will definitely be praying!

I'm looking forward to following Melissa on her God-appointed journey into the "valley".
I can't wait to hear what God does!!

Kristen said...

This is so neat - I look forward to hearing from Melissa on your blog. India is so close to my heart and such a special place. I will be praying for her.

Emmy said...

So exciting! I will be praying for them! : )

JottinMama said...

I will certainly be praying for your sweet sister :)

I'm looking forward to reading about her trip.

Blessings,
Kate :)

Lindsee said...

This is just the neatest thing. I've always wanted a sister, and now I know why even more!