Friday, September 18, 2009

August in Wyoming

Top ten reasons to ditch Houston in August and head to Jackson Hole, Wyoming

1. There are days when the temperature will make you wonder if it's December. And you will start singing Christmas carols without realizing it.



2. Instead of dead armadillos on the road, they've got these guys.






3. There are no billboards, no skyscrapers, and no sidewalks so hot you can fry eggs on them.













4. Your man might go for a hike and come back with something like this.



5. You won't have to wait until February to go to the rodeo.







That is my son drinking hot chocolate in August.



My future cowgirl and me.



6. There are good burgers to be had beyond our state's borders.

Oh, Billy's Burgers, how we heart you.







7. When life slows down, funny things happen.

That's a bagel in Jackson's mouth.



Annabeth's thumb sucking + our occasional heater use in the cabin + much drier air than we're used to = a very raw hand. Bless her heart, we had to put ointment on it and cover it with a sock at night.



She fell backwards and landed right in her brother's lap. He was so tickled.



Annabeth fell asleep while we were at a cookout. She had to have her thumb, of course.



8. Your hair may go bump-it in the night.

You are looking at God-given bump-it, siestas.



9. You might see a grizzly bear. Preferably from your car.

(This is zoomed in - we would never get that close.)



10. Yellowstone National Park is like the Disney World of Nature. You cannot believe how much cool stuff is in one place.

We got there early in the morning in hopes of seeing more animals.



Behind Curtis and Jackson you can see everyone waiting to watch Old Faithful.



And there it is.



I'm not sure what this is. Maybe Jackson was excited about the dirt on his hands.













Jackson and Curtis with the Upper Falls in the background (I think).



Can you see the rainbow?



River water going over the Lower Falls.



This picture makes the bottom of my feet hurt. Does that happen to anyone else when they look down from up high?









After seeing it from close up, we drove down the road and saw the Lower Falls from a distance.







Curtis and I marveled at how much Annabeth changed during our two weeks in Wyoming. This picture was taken on the day she started sitting up. She was using her hands but could sit for a long time.



Exactly one week later, when she happened to be wearing the same outfit, she was sitting with no hands. This is such a fun stage! I'm enjoying our last bit of time before she becomes mobile.



This was Annabeth's first time in a restaurant high chair.



One night after my parents arrived, we had dinner on the deck at Signal Mountain Lodge. After that we walked down to Jackson Lake.











Jackson is embracing his big brother role a little more these days.



This is a picture of one of the cookouts we attended by the river.



Curtis and Annabeth challenged Jackson and his friend in a race.





Annabeth did not enjoy being a track star.



Here's Baby Girl's first time in a playground swing. I did not bring her enough cool-weather clothes, so I frequently resorted to pajamas.



One morning our whole family attended a breakfast cookout up on a mountain. Dad and I and joined the trail riders on horseback while Mom and Curtis brought the kids up in a car. We had hot chocolate, eggs, bacon, and pancakes. It was so much fun.









Jackson and his daddy played hide and seek in the town square. Here's Jackson counting.



Here he is hiding.



A view of the Tetons from near our place.



Mt. Moran might be my favorite.



A deer in the river by our cabin.



The Sleeping Indian. Can you see him?



One day we visited Jenny Lake. You do not want to miss it if you ever visit Jackson Hole.



We took a shuttle boat across the lake to Hidden Falls and Inspiration Point.



Looking up at the mountain from the boat.





Here's what we hiked to see.









We - mainly Jackson - got soaked on the boat ride back. The water was freezing! Jackson has always loved being splashed with cold water (seriously), so he had a great time. People around us were even trying to take pictures of him because he was so funny.



The pictures you are about to see are from The Greatest Day of Jackson's Life.



We went to Snow King and did the alpine slide.





The slide was really fun, but I only did it once because the ski lift to the top of it scared me to death. Curt says it isn't as freaky when there's snow below you. The Moores aren't skiers, so I wouldn't really know.



Then Curtis and I went temporarily insane and let Jackson do the bungee trampoline. You are seeing the highlight of his three-year-old life.



Everyone within a mile heard him squealing.



After that, we had lunch at the Saddle Rock Family Saloon.



The only beer they served was root beer. Oh my word, it was the best ever!



Jackson capped the day off with a horse ride. This is Blizzard, the most chilled out horse known to man. Jackson looked like a baby on top of that big ole animal.



That concludes the Greatest Day of Jackson's Life.

Here's a bad picture of some elk in the valley.



This is our favorite pizza place. No visit is complete without it.



It's our tradition to take a picture on this huge stump before we leave. Right after this, some very sad Joneses got in the car and drove to the airport. Sad, sad, sad.



Top ten songs from our vacation playlist

1. "Just Wanna Say" by Israel Houghton
2. "My Brightness" by Charlie Hall
3. "Glorified" by New Life Worship
4. "You'll Come" by Hillsong Live
5. "Light of the World" by Watermark
6. "A Grateful People/Bless the Lord" by Watermark
7. "Glory to God Forever" by Fee
8. "Since the World Began" by Matt Maher, Amy Grant, Ed Cash, and Mac Powell from Glory Revealed 2
9. "He Will Rejoice" by Trevor Morgan from Glory Revealed 1
10. "Waters Gone By" by Shawn Lewis from Glory Revealed 1

31 comments:

Lauren said...

Amanda, seriously, God is so evident in each one of those pictures!! Absolutely beautiful!! :)

Alana said...

Gorgeous pictures!

The Davidson Den said...

Jackson Hole owes you a huge favor, 'cause everyone who reads this will want to go there now. I know I do. Breathtaking landscapes!!!

The Reardon's said...

Amazing photo's Amanda! I must say, Jackson is so incredibly adorable. I might have to send Eden down so they can meet! She's been looking for herself a good southern man! And I just have to say that your past post about the craft for Jackson's first day was so hilarious i still crack up when I think about. And the best part is that you are so honest... I would be so embarrassed and not even talk about it! Thanks for saying the things I probably never would! xoxo

Shannon Boyer said...

Great pictures! That makes me want to go visit Wyoming! Thanks for sharing.

Meredith said...

I want to know where you saw the bear- my whole family was in Jackson the same time you were but we did not see any bears this time. Also where did you do the cookouts- we go everyyear and i think my kids would love it.

McClure Family said...

the picture of Jackson on the horse may be the cutest thing i've seen in my whole life...

Kim Gannon said...

Wow Amanda, looks like y'all had an awesome time. Some of those pics look like a postcard!!! BEAUTIFUL!!! Love you.

bethany said...

I have just been inspired. You have inspired me!! We've been trying to decide on a little vacation to take since realizing that with Zak's stint as an unemployed person we can no longer afford the Disneyland trip we had planned for this fall. I looked up Yellowstone and it is only a 5 hour drive from here! Woohoo! Plus, I think the kids will love it. So, I need to pick your brain because I haven't been since I was a kid and Zak has never been. Where to stay? What to do? I saw lots to eat on the blog and that will really help-but I need help with any other tips!! Thanks Amanda! :)

Sarah said...

AWESOME pics--what beautiful scenery! Thanks for sharing. Annabeth is getting so big, and looks so much like her big bro...glad you had a great time. Maybe someday, I'll get to go to WY. Have a great weekend! :)

Shannon said...

Those pictures are gorgeous! Looks like ya'll had so much fun!

Danielle (Life with the Hewitt Family) said...

What a nice vacation. I am going to have to remember Jackson Hole when we are planning our next vacation. It looks like there is so much to do and it is so beautiful!

Vicki said...

I LOVE all these pics. Thanks for sharing. Some of the scenery pics just speak of God's majesty. I LOVE them. You are so blessed to have the opportunity to take them!! So glad to hear how you enjoyed it. Tooooo awesome :)

Heather said...

I'm afraid one day I am going to get in the car and just start driving north!! I can't get there fast enough! These pics are great, and the one of Jackson and Curtis on the ride is great! And the Sleeping Indian man, I am looking for an illusion in the mountains, or an actual Indian sleeping on one of the hills? Because I stared at that picture for a LONG time!! It's driving me nuts to find him!!

Unknown said...

Wonderful pictures. One day my dh and I are going to go to Wyoming.

The first picture of a cabin/home looked like one videoed in one of the Bible studies.

Sheryl

Molly said...

I don't know why, but Annabeth makes the faces your mom does, it is so cute. Real serious and real fun!

Loved the pictures, what a beautiful place to be. The buffalo suprised me so much, although I got an email the other day with a picture of a moose - holy cow! I mean moose!

Desiree said...

Beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing. I'm curious if Jackson wonders if Jackson Hole was named after him.
I have a nephew named McCall and there is a small resort town in the middle of Idaho named McCall. They have a condo on Payette Lake there and he thought when he was younger that the town was named after him.
So glad you had a wonderful time away.

Sarah said...

Amanda, I love these photos! My favorite vacation of all-time was when I was 16 and went to Yellowstone with my family. Pace and I can't wait to take ours there--such an amazing place! He has never been, so he's in for a huge treat!

And can I say again how beautiful your children are? It's criminal :)

Unknown said...

Hey there! Long time no talk.. I hope you guys are doing well! I was quickly looking through your pictures the whole time wondering if that was near Jacksonhole. Then took the time to figure out where.... : ) my family and I love that area! Beautiful doesn't begin to describe that place...

Heather said...

Um... please excuse my very unintelligent comment earilier. I totally see the sleeping indian, now that my husband pointed him out to me. I seriously must have searched for 30 minutes. Pathetic.

Erica said...

What an amazing trip...you will have beautiful memories to recall for the rest of your life. Brian grew up in Wyoming~his mom always talks about just how beautiful it was. I think we might have to plan a trip there next year!

Carley said...

Oh my word! You went to ALL our favorite spots. My husband and I went to JH and Yellowstone for our honeymoon (my first time, he's been lots) and have visited several times in the last 5 years. Mountain High Pizza Pie is our favorite too, and Jenny Lake, and the slides, oh so fun!! I'm dying to get back there and seeing your pics made me home sick for the tetons! ha! I'm glad you guys had such a fabulous time. Our dream would be to own a condo there someday! What great memories you are building with your kids. Blessings to you and thank you for sharing!! Those are amazing pictures.

Carley said...

Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog..."cody's cabin". Yes, we love the tetons...and elk, moose, bear...any "mountain" animal. I just found a shirt at gymboree that I bought for Cody to wear next fall/winter that says "i love camping" and another one with a big bear on it that says happy little camper. They have a "fall campfire" line that is adorable! Anyway, thanks for taking the time to look at my blog and commenting. (feel free to not publish this one, i just wanted to write you back and figured this is the only way) oh...and did you name jackson after JH? We had two names picked out...Jackson or Cody because of our love for Wyoming. Fun to have that in common with you. Thanks for posting so many great pictures!

lori said...

I have now started a Jackson hole jar. I am going!

connorcolesmom said...

What a BLAST!!
I love ALL the pics - it really does show the FUN and blessings that you experienced on your trip :)
I agree about the ski lift
It scares me everytime and I do like to ski but dread the ski lift :)
Enjoy your day
Kim

Suz said...

Oh how I am just dying to go there now! I loved all the pics, you have a gorgeous family!

AKat said...

Cute, cute! Jackson's favorite day cracked me up...and, yes, he did look awfully small up there on that big old horse! (That "I Do My Own Stunts" t-shirt is awesome.)

Amy said...

I saw Jackson on the jumbo-tron at the Aggie game tonight! I shouted "I know that kid!" to my friends and of course they didn't believe me. How do you explain blogger friends? :)

The B's said...

Okay...now I am DYING to go to Wyoming...that is going to be on my "to go to" list!!! AMAZING! And, if you don't mind, we are talking about landforms in my science class..I would LOVE to use some of your pictures to show them the meanders in the river, the falls, etc. Those are GREAT pics! So glad y'all had a great time!

katiegfromtennessee said...

More pics of Wyoming!:) They make me smile:):) It is such a beautiful place!

katiegfromtennessee

Lindsee Lou said...

Girlfriend, these pictures make me want to go back to Colorado and Montana. No lie! Absolutely gorgeous and it looks like y'all had THE best time. So happy you got to enjoy it!

Also, while I was in CO this summer, I too did the alpine slides and the trampoline jump thingy. I about lost all my food on the tramp thing. SCARY! And as far as the ski lifts? Yes, I was singing "If I fall you're goin' down with me, goin' down with me baby if I fall..." by the Dixie Chicks each time I rode up them.

My pics are up on my blog, too! And crazy enough, it was my Monty's Revenge post! Ha!

http://lindseelou.blogspot.com/2009/07/montys-revenge.html