Wednesday, May 16, 2007

ANTM

I'm going to take a moment and reflect on tonight's season finale of America's Next Top Model, otherwise known as ANTM. When I just happened to be bored at home on the night of the premier a few months ago, I got sucked in. Within minutes I spotted the lovely Renee and thought, Well it's no contest! She's clearly going to win! She was a gorgeous blond from Maui. And then I saw Natasha, a perky Russian-Texan who quickly became my favorite. Natasha was so bubbly that no failure or drama could keep her down. She took her criticism and turned it into gold, improving every week.

The final four consisted of Natasha, Jaslene, Dionne, and Renee. It made me supremely proud that three of the four of them are mamas. Dionne got the boot and tonight Renee, Natasha, and Jaslene battled it out. I was horrified when, for the first time the ENTIRE season, the judges began saying that Renee looked old. Mature. They even pointed out possibly non-existent lines and wrinkles that were from the Hawaiian sun! Can you believe it!?!? I really didn't think this was fair or justified. She and her pictures are absolutely gorgeous and they only praised her every week. When she was eliminated, she held Natasha's face in her hands and whispered, "Win this thing for the mamas." Y'all, I cried. Then Natasha and Jaslene had a Zoolander-worthy fashion show walk off. Natasha's skirt fell down (luckily she had on a bodysuit) but she played it off like it was supposed to happen. She started off strong on the runway but Jaslene blew the judges away with her stomping.

Two final contestants, both with heavy accents and dramatic stories. One, a child bride from Russia with a little baby at home. The other, a contestant who had been in a previous cycle and was eliminated earlier on. Both had overcome so much, grown so much, yada yada yada.

In the end, Jaslene walked away with the title of America's Next Top Model. I was really disappointed that Natasha didn't win, but when she enthusiastically congratulated Jaslene and said she couldn't wait to get home to her family, I liked her even more. And this totally increases my chances of running into her and becoming bffs and meeting for playdates at the Galleria because, y'all, she's from Dallas!

21 comments:

Holly said...

You have a heart of gold, now don't you? I think you are a BFF to many...am I right?
Have a wonderful week,
Holly
PS I'm listening to Amazing Grace by Wes King...I think you live a life of grace towards others Amanda...this post is a prime example

Shelly said...

I was hanging out with some friends tonight and it was on in the background of all the chatter. I'm not going to lie, I felt like I needed to start singing 'In the jungle, the mighty jungle, the lion sleeps tonight...etc.' when the 'Zoolander-worthy' fashion show came on the screen! lol.

And you just go ahead and make Jaslene a new bff! :) And if that does happen, could I have any shoes that she doesn't want?!(Giggling)

Erin Ward said...

I got on here this morning and read the first line of your blog and almost freaked out. I have the show taped but I haven't watched it yet. I don't want to ruin it for myself so I will come back at a later time and actually read this post. :)

R said...

I'm so glad you watch it too! I've been addicted all season too, but I was afraid to admit it. I missed the finale--I'm bummed that Natasha didn't win! She was my favorite...

Big Mama said...

I missed this season of ANTM due to some Dish network issues that are just too painful to discuss. However, I have been completely addicted in season's past.

Maybe I can catch the reruns on VH-1...it gives me a goal for the summer.

Anonymous said...

Fortunately, I didn't get "sucked in" to this season... but please, please tell me that one of those normal size 8, oh excuse me-- "plus size," girls won!!

Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

Girl you are brave...I just sooo do not want any 'hot' friends. :)) Kidding, cause I totally have some! But their Jesus shines through which gives us much more in common in the 'pretty' department than I ever imagined..:)

I'm with Shelly, don't forget those who 'knew you when' if the shoes start coming your way..:)

Lisa

kittyhox said...

I know, I was totally rooting for Natasha! I mean, come on. She's was a mail order bride. How could I not root for her!? I loved how she always took criticism as a compliment. She is so charming.

And when they made the comment about Renee's puffy skin and sun damage? For goodness sakes, I think the girl is twenty years old! Whatever.

Erin Ward said...

I was heart broken to find that my tape did not record. Oh no!! Every Wed. night I set my recorder to tape it when i'm at church. Why did it decide not to work the night of the finale? :) but it's ok cuz i read your post and it was almost as good as watching the real thing.
By the way, i did NOT want Jaslene to win! oh well.

Holly said...

Am I the only one who reads ANTM and thinks of Wizard of Oz?

Just curious...also trying to make you laugh :) Did I succeed?

connorcolesmom said...

Amanda,
Too funny. I love how we all get wrapped up in our shows and root for whoever is our favorite.
I love that you would like to meet Natasha, your new bff, and hang out with her - he he. You sound like me always welcoming new friends.
God has given you a heart of gold and such compassion for others.
God bless,
Kim

Miss Mommy said...

Your addiction to ANTM reminds me of ours to Project Runway...we watched it while I was in labor and haven't shaken it yet...even my engineering/pastor husband looks for it! Hilarious!
(fortunately, I only ended with a baby at the end of one show)

Anonymous said...

It's all about being "fierce"... and apparently that is no longer possible when you are over 25!

Anonymous said...

i'm so out of touch i thought your post was going to be about "the Wizard of Oz" oh ant m ant m theres no place like home!!!!

AKat said...

my heart broke for renee, as i can't imagine how it'd feel to have people say you're wonderful for weeks on end, then drop the "you're an old lady" bomb. she looked beautiful, but natasha had what she was lacking: inward beauty. i rooted for natasha and was sad she didn't win. dallas? really!

R said...

OK, this totally has nothing to do with your post, but no one watches ER in my "circle". I immediately thought of you...I hope that was OK!

I watched the season finale tonight, but I've missed a few episodes. Without giving anything away in case you TiVo'd it, can you give me any idea what happened to Ray?

No rush...thanks!

Sarah said...

I am laughing my head off! Reading this from the perspective of never having seen the show made it even better--you are so funny :)

But I do, in all sincerity, hope y'all become BFF.

Amanda said...

I totally agree! Renee definitely does not look old and I was dying that they kept telling her that! Love your blog! Just saw it today!

Anonymous said...

I AM SO TICKED THAT JASLENE WON!

i loved renee, too. how could they criticize that face? whoa, eesh - i'm glad i don't have to stand in front of them.

all i can say is, from the VERY beginning i was annoyed by jaslene, and then she takes the win. should have seen it coming ;) haaha! i'm glad you're a ANTM junkie too. ;)

R said...

Oh my...you are the best! Thanks for taking time out to give me the run-down. Now I feel like I'm up to speed. That whole scene with his legs was powerful, and I was like "What?!"

Totally feel free to just reject this post...you won't hurt my feelings! :0) Just a quick sidebar conversation.

Annie said...

Finally someone interested in ANTM! I don't know why, but I love that show. I have watched all the seasons (but maybe the first one). I completely agree with you about Renee. They cut her hair short and in my opinion it matured her look, but I sure didn't see any wrinkles! She is very pretty and I thought she would win. Natasha seemed like someone who could really use a bff! She hugged everyone and not just a token hug, she hung on for dear life like she needed that hug. It made me want to go give her a hug too.

Annie