Monday, May 07, 2007

The Graduate

(I just posted this on the LPM Blog but I wanted to share it here too.)

This weekend my little sister graduated from Wheaton College with her Master's Degree in Biblical Exegesis. She worked unbelievably hard for the past two years to accomplish this goal. We are so proud!

Mom, Dad and I flew up to Wheaton to be with her for the big weekend. It was the Original Four Moores for the first time in quite a while. Dad treated us to a celebratory dinner at a French restaurant called Suzette's where we enjoyed a five course meal and live jazz music. We were in food heaven with every kind of crepe you can think of. I don't have any pictures because I was too busy with my fondue, salad, vegetable chowder, chicken crepes, and bananas foster to bother with it!

It was my first time to visit Melissa in Wheaton and I had so much fun seeing her campus, staying in her cute apartment, meeting her friends, and seeing the professors she loved so much. A few of her professors even wrote commentaries that our mom uses when she researches for her conferences and Bible studies. Melissa has had the privilege of studying under some of the world's most incredible Bible scholars while at Wheaton.

When Melissa came walking down the aisle with all the other graduates, our hearts overflowed with joy. She flashed us a sassy smile and we said to each other, "That's our girl!" When she took her seat next to her classmates all I could do was cry. My sister had earned a Master's Degree. From an incredibly hard program. And what a spectacular person she is. She's beautiful, brilliant, hilarious, outgoing, godly, and a friend to anyone - especially the friendless. Daughter, sister, prom queen, varsity athlete, sorority girl, fasionista, and now scholar. Melissa, I don't even have the words to describe how proud I am of you. You might be the most unique person God ever made. I can't wait to see how God will use everything you've learned during your time at Wheaton. I know He has great things in store!

Mom and Dad waiting to see their graduate


That sassy smile


Melissa getting her diploma


Melissa with Prayer Warrior #1

27 comments:

Holly said...

Your family looks beautiful (and handsome)! Where are you???

I am so glad it was a fun time...what a celebration! Praying for Melissa, as she walks forward.
Love in Him,
Holly

Marc and Charity said...

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing with us.

Sharon Brumfield said...

I know you are so proud. And I am sure we will be hearing about this from your mom.
I am glad you had a great time away-I'm sure your men are glad to have you back.
I am a little envious about the eating out. I love to try new places and see what is going on in the culinary world.

The Schmidt Family said...

Way to go Melissa!

Unknown said...

How was your time away from Jackson? It sounds like you had a wonderful time!

Sunni at The Flying Mum said...

that picture of your mom and dad is so adorable! They look so proud and youthful! And your sister is quite the graduate! I'm glad the Four Moores had a fun time in the Windy City!

debra parker said...

Congratulations Melissa! What a great privilege to be there with her.

AbbyLane said...

i can not get over how beautiful your family is...i guess that's what lovin' Jesus will do to you :)

...big blog hug to your sister...that's incredible

Praise and Coffee said...

Sooo cool! Congrats to Melissa and I'm glad you had a good time!

Karla Porter Archer said...

this is such a heartfelt tribute to your sister. The love you feel for her permeated all of this post.

Congrats Melissa!

And have a safe flight back, Amanda.

Blessings,
Karla

Nancy Mon said...

Great pictures! Amanda I can so totally remember you and your sister were so young walking out of the CLC with your mom after aerobics. I was too chicken to go to the class so I walked on the track. It is hard to believe that you all have grown up and yet I am still young. :) Thanks for sharing the weekend with us.

Liz Ferguson said...

Hi Amanda!
I am new to your blog. I saw you on splat designs about a week ago. You have a really cute blog, and a really sweet family.

Sisters are the best! I have a sister who I am really close to.
I can hear your love for your sis through your pages. Sounds like you
had a great time away. Congratulations to your sister...awesome accomplishment!

How was it leaving your baby? My little man is a month younger than yours. I have never left him for more than a few hours. I can imagine that it might have been hard...but maybe refreshing at the same time. :)

Hope you don't mind me reading your blog. It is fun and encouraging to meet other God loving mommies out there.

A new reader and sis in Christ,
Elizabeth

Big Mama said...

All I'm sayin' is the Moore family has got some good genes goin' on. Seriously.

Congrats to Melissa! What a huge accomplishment.

Amy T said...

Awesome! Thanks for sharing! Awesome job Melissa! We that only know you through hearing about you through your mother are proud of you too! Glad you enjoyed your time away Amanda! Welcome home. (And your parents look so happy and gorgeous!)

Kelly @ Love Well said...

I wrote congrats to Melissa over at LPM. So how about you, Mrs. 56 Hours? Did you survive the separation?!?

Kim Gannon said...

WOW!!!!!!!I'm so happy for her!!! Praise God. Tell my "roomie" (still call her that) that I am so proud of her. I love you two Moore girls like my very own!!!!!

PandaMom said...

Your right! I can't believe there's no pics of that fabulous sounding dining experience!

Congrats to your whole family. From being in many of your mom's studies I know how faithful she is to pray for you two and how she adores y'all!

Thanks for sharing such gorgeous pictures with us!

I actually posted a pic of her and I on my blog this morning! ; )

Steph V said...

AMAZING!!! It's so good to see Melissa's picture! One of these days we'll all be able to get together when y'all are in Houston. I'll bring some cream cheese packets for old time sake!

Glad y'all had fun, oh...and how good was it to see Mr. Jackson when you returned home?

Military Mommy said...

Congrats Melissa! A huge accomplishment. :)

Amanda - I'm so glad you got to go. I hope the homefront was fine while you were away and that your boys were so happy to see you. I know they were. :)

Love, Michelle

Shelly said...

Love the pictures. It sounds like you thoroughly enjoyed Friday night's dinner, but I do still hope you got some Chicago style pizza :) And as a graduate myself (finally), I'm with Melissa...still smiling, even if only on the inside.

Jackie said...

Congrats to her.. I know she appreciates all your prayers you have said for her during her time studying?? What is she doing next? Ya'll are an incredible family. and I am sure Jackson got some good spoiling when you got home!! -jackie

Sheila said...

My goodness! Your mother could be a model!

Congrats to your sister.

Angie @ Flibbertigibberish said...

Awww, you sound like such a proud big sis. Praise God that there is so much to be proud of! You've not been shy of bragging all about her, and that must mean a lot to her. Congrats to your sister and your whole fam!

Tracey said...

Congratulations, Melissa!

So glad ya'll had a wonderful trip and were able to share this special time with her!

Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

Congratulations Sis! Don't you know her head just wants to explode with all that knowledge!! What are her plans for letting it out?? :)) I'm personally thinking Mom and daughters need to go on tour together..kind of like the Mandrell Sisters of Bible study..ya'll could get those little coordinating outfits and everythang!

(Does your little young self even know who the mandrell sisters are or have i totally outed my age?? :))


and p.s. my Daniel fast was people mag online..:)) thankfully, i haven't yet gone back except to look at pics of britney when she shaved her head..there are some things a girl can not live without seeing...:))

Michelle said...

I LOVE the picture of your parents. Put that one in a frame! They are so cute.

Samuel's mama said...

Congrats to Melissa! I too went to Wheaton--it is quite an accomplishment to finish! I'm so glad that you were able to go. As the mother of a 7 month old--I can appreciate the desire to be with your babe, but also to be fully present in the moment for your sister. I'm taking my first plane trip with him (just the two of us alone! My husband can't be there) to NY over Memorial Day. Any advice?