Thursday, May 10, 2007

Thursday Afternoon Randomness

One of my best friends, who is expecting a little one, sent me an email saying that she had taken a day trip to visit Sprinkles in Dallas. She told me that tears came to her eyes when she bit into the peanut butter chocolate one. And because she knew eating all that sugar would make her sick on an empty stomach, she drove through Keller's on the way there. Oh my gosh, I love this friend so much and it made my whole day that she admitted to crying over a cupcake. That right there is a reason to love being pregnant and to love those who are pregnant.

Usually Jackson's daddy takes him to mother's day out, but this morning I took him because they were having "Muffins with Mommy." I tried to look cute because I know how proud of my mom's cuteness I always was when she came to my school. We sat at his little table in little chairs and shared some little muffins. Jackson was in a great mood and very into the muffins, so it was fun. They showed a video they had taken of the kids on the playground. Seriously, I almost asked if I could have a copy. It was that cute.

At lunchtime Curt and I took my car to get inspected and then we went to eat lunch together. When he suggested Chick-fil-a, a part of me died. Really? A fast food place when we are all alone? We ended up at Cheddar's and to celebrate I left the bacon and cheese on my World Class Chicken Sandwich.

I'm very thankful to have that car inspection over with. Historically, I am one who goes months past the expiration date. But last year I got pulled over when a policeman saw that my sticker was bad. And it just so happened that my license, registration, and inspection were ALL expired. Dang, Gina. I had to take myself and my three-month-old down to the courthouse and fork over some major cash flow. And that was the end of that. I now deal very promptly with those wicked expired stickers.

Jackson is getting three molars right now. Poor thing. This week he has become proficient in crawling up on the couch and on the big green chair where I do my work. This is going to get interesting. He thinks it's amusing to bang on the keyboard. He has started doing some major body flailing during his fits. Honestly, it's the funniest thing I've ever seen and I cannot keep from giggling. Now when it starts happening in public I will not be so quick to laugh. The sweetest thing he's doing right now is saying a long, drawn out "Oh." He's in fact done it four times in the last 30 seconds.

I'll leave you with this. Jackson's Mother's Day Out note said that the activities he enjoyed today were (A) Making a mother's day surprise AND (B) Looking at himself in the mirror.

24 comments:

Holly said...

I think you're both cute!

When we lived in Texas, we went months without getting our stickers up to date (and my liscense...ummm)...it greatly enhanced our prayer lives :) We never got pulled over, but I felt guilty about it all the time...does that count?

In Colorado, we don't have to get it up to date every year! HalleluYah! I knew there was another reason to love CO!
Have a great day...you cute thangs,
Holly

Anonymous said...

I've done the expired tag thing. Yuck. I will NEVER do that again!

Erin Ward said...

it makes me sad that we don't get to see the little guy very often. he's so sweet!

Jackie said...

oh, the joys of motherhood!!! Too many to count. I am about to officially be a stay at home mom in 2 weeks. I am looking forward to all those moments with her that I miss. She will be in MDO next school year, but she is ALL MINE this summer!! I can't wait.... and yes- just wait until the fit throwing starts happening in the middle of the grocery store/restaurant/ and gasp... even CHURCH. She seems to put on her biggest shows on the way to the nursery, but hey, what can you do, every child goes through it- smile, remember how quickly the time passes, and go on about your business!! Have a great evening- Jackie

Jen said...

My registration expired just before Easter, and I just didn't have enough time before heading home to Arkansas to visit my parents. I prayed not to get a ticket! Have you seen the new registration stickers? The back is bright royal blue and distractingly ugly! It says, "Check the date, love your state." Seriously, I have to look at that for a year?!

debra parker said...

When we moved to Springfield I had so much on my mind that I didn't realize that my license had expired. It was so far past the limit that I had to retake my driving test. Did you hear me. RETAKE. I was so nervous that I failed it. Yes I did. Humiliated. I cannot even believe I am sharing this in public. Sometimes I feel like my life is so comical.

Big Mama said...

There is no worse feeling than forking out major cash for traffic violations, not that I've ever done it, but I've heard that it's bad.

I'm so glad Jackson enjoys looking at himself in the mirror. That's a gift that will keep on giving.

Kelly @ Love Well said...

The body flailing can be hysterical. I swore my daughter was half-Jewish when she hit three, due to all the weeping and hair pulling and gnashing of teeth. She was like an OT prophetess!(I was sorely tempted to get her some sackcloth and take a picture for posterity. But I resisted.)

We're having cupcakes for my friend's post-baby "sprinkle" in two weeks. Something about tiny babies and tiny cakes just go together. It's all so cute.

dreamingBIGdreams said...

Don't you love the car stuff! Ugh I hate it too.

I love how you want to look cute to go have muffins with your son. I love it.

by the way ... check out my blog b/c I tagged you.

boomama said...

At some point I need to write a post about my attempts to secure a driver's license here in the great state of Alabama when I was six months pregnant. Because the memory is a precious treasure.

Yesterday A. brought home a Mother's Day "poem" where he had to fill in the blanks for his teacher, and one of the lines said, "My mama is as pretty as..." - and he completed it with "God."

I have no idea what that means, but I'm pretty sure I'll keep that little poem for the rest of my life.

Karla Porter Archer said...

I've never had to keep up with inspections until we moved to TN. Here it is a yearly thing too...

I just went through the inspection and re-registering my (expired) tags yesterday.

I LOVE those little notes that get sent home with the kids on Mother's and Father's day. Last year we had some from our kids and they asked how old we were... On mine, my kids had answered 4 and 6...

I'm hoping that was a compliment...

blessings,
Karla

Tracy said...

"when he suggested Chick-fil-A a part of me died..."

Good stuff! In order to bypass fast food places I have to say, "Honey, a REAL date please..."

Michelle said...

Favorite activity: "looking at himself in the mirror"! I love it!

R said...

My college roommate and I are taking our babies to Sprinkles on Monday. We can't wait! I'm sure I'll be writing a big fat post about it afterward...

Sarah said...

"Dang, Gina!" For this one phrase alone, I now adore you. :)

Shelly said...

Sprinkles and Cheddars? Looks like I've got some dining experiences in the future to cherish ....
And looking at himself in the mirror - absolutely hysterical.

And 'Dang Gina!' Thank you for bringing that one back for me! It's been a while! Still giggling.

jennyhope said...

Amanda I have to laugh in public even when she is thrwoing the fits. everyone looks at me like i am a bad mom...but its either laugh or get mad so I choose to laugh. Another thing when it comes to disciplining her: the Lord never humiliates me in public so I don't do that to her...so the only thing to do is laugh! :)

Kelly said...

I'm loving the chick-fil-a comment "a part of me died". That is hysterical.
Nothing says romantic like the "christian chicken". :-)

jen said...

LOL, "Gina". I soooooo used to say that all the time... and yes, even in the deeper voice and accent. Sigh. Thanks for the memory. :)

My son is in Pre-K and they brought home their little Mommy's Day projects. Right now on my fridge held on by my cutest "fridge" magnets is a crayon colored pot of flowers with a photo of my sweet sweet boy on it. Cherish the moments and all the hand made goods. These small bits of joy are fleeting.

Kudos on the car inspection! I ALWAYS forget. :)

Holly said...

Happy Mother's Day to you Mommy!

Michelle said...

Looking at himself in the mirror. Love it!
No inspections in FL, oh the little things I love to miss!

Mindy said...

My girls enjoy looking at themselves in the mirror too.
I absolutely LOVE watching them look at themselves. It is just so funny to watch them admire themselves!......Maybe I can turn it into a lesson about how beautiful God sees us all.....
In HIM -
Mindy

Anonymous said...

It's been way too long since I got a handmade gift for mother's day. Oh how I miss those delightful gifts. There is nothing more precious than seeing the love that goes into those gifts. All the money in the world spent on luxurious items cannot take their place. As for the inspection sticker, my sister once gained a whole year by "forgetting" one month at a time.

Changed by His Love said...

I can't believe it took me this long to find you! Love all of the pictures and have enjoyed the last few hours reading through all of your posts...trying to decide which one to comment on. I chose this one...I went to Muffins with Mommy day too and so enjoyed the time I got to spend with my 3 year old.
I did not know that you and Curt were at FBC Irving...I grew up with Stephen Smith in Florida, where his dad was my pastor. I recently saw him at Passion 2007 and we got to catch up and share pictures of our kids! Blessings to you and your family!