Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Chicken Cheddar Rice Bake

This morning I remembered that Sunni and my sister have asked me for this recipe a number of times and I have been too boneheaded to type it out for them. Sorry, y'all. I have no excuse. This recipe is from my co-worker, Nancy, who is very special to everyone in my family. Making recipes from people I love is preferable to cookbook recipes because it adds some joy to an activity I'm not really fond of nor good at. So here is Nancy's Chicken Cheddar Rice Bake.

Chicken Cheddar Rice Bake
Makes: 6 servings

1/4 cup of butter
1/4 cup of flour
3 chicken bullion cubes, crumbled
2 cups of milk
3 cups of cooked, cubed chicken
1/2 lb. of fresh mushrooms, sliced
4 cups of cooked rice (*The first time I made this, I boiled 4 cups of rice and ended up with about 8. Not what you want to do!)
1 cup of cheddar cheese, grated

Melt butter in 3 qt. saucepan. Blend in flour and chicken bullion cubes. Gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat. Stir in chicken and mushrooms. Spread cooked rice in buttered 8" square dish; spoon chicken mixture over rice. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until casserole is bubbly and hot.


If I want to speak Curt's love language, this is what I make. We used to have this all the time during our five months in England. It was too expensive to eat out so I cooked almost every night. Big shocker, I know. We had a tiny dorm-size fridge, so we probably went to the grocery store every other day at least just because we couldn't store very much food. And I even had to do all our dishes by hand. What can I say but that God gave me the grace? We both agree that this meal tasted better over there, but we can't quite put our finger on what was different. I think it was either the richness of the butter or the chicken bullion cubes, which were a different size. Also, most of the time I use rotisserie chicken for this casserole. It's probably not as good, but it's a better option for peeps who can never cook their chicken just right. Well, leave it to me to write a long post about a recipe.

27 comments:

Cindy said...

Sounds delicious. I'll give it a try this weekend. I am in such a funk with cooking right now. I definitely need some new things to try for my family. I have become addicted to watching Rachael Ray. I would so love to live at her house.

bethany said...

Sounds fabulous! I always love to use recipes from people I know because then I know that a real person actually made it and not just some really talented, culinary school educated chef. Usually they turn out better!

Immeasurably More Mama said...

Sounds yummy! I'm adding it to my collection of recipes. (:

Holly said...

Looks yummy, Amanda! And inexpensive to boot!!

Tara said...

Yummy, Amanda! Thank you for sharing! And I'm with you: I'd rather make a tried-and-true recipe from a friend than one from a cookbook anyday! We'll have to try this very soon!

Anonymous said...

I would think the rotisserie would make it even better- or you could cook the chicken in the crock pot. This sounds great and I need something new in my meal planning- I'm going to try it soon! Thanks!

Lauren said...

Amanda, this sounds YUMMY!!!!!! :o)

Katie said...

That looks so good! I have all those ingredients...I may just make this tonight...

Tara G. said...

That sounds delicious! I have discovered that if you put your whole fryer in the crock pot overnight with some water, it falls apart the next morning to put in whatever dish you like (chicken pot pie for us).

Jenny said...

Sounds wonderful! I love finding and making new recipes for my family! Can't wait to give it a try!!!

Kelly said...

Hi Amanda, I'm Kelly, and I've been reading your blog for a while - I love it! You're a hoot. And recently I've been enjoying it even more because my son Will is just a few days younger than your Annabeth, so when you talk about things like the B's of DOOM, I totally empathize. :) Just had to say hi and thanks for keeping it real and funny even in the midst of sleep deprivation and spit-up. Oh, and to cook chicken perfectly for your recipe, try throwing some breasts (boneless or not) in your Crock Pot in the morning, cover with water and cook on low. By dinnertime, they'll be perfect. I do a big batch and freeze the extra (already cubed) for later. So easy!
Kelly

Marc and Charity said...

Sounds yummy!!! Ahh, the dorm size fridge. I should take a picture of mine so you can have happy thoughts of every other day grocery shopping. Or maybe it's not happy thoughts about every other grocery shopping- it does get old...real fast. I am thankful we have a dishwasher though! Our first flat did not and I can't believe I washed dishes by hand for 2 years. I'm rambling...lack of sleep.

Sunni at The Flying Mum said...

Oh, THANK YOU! Making it next week...probably with a salad with homemade ranch. I still remember it's yumminess just like it was yesterday that you brought it to me!

Sarah said...

Cooking some rice, pulling some cooked chicken out of the freezer, and making it for dinner tonight! Perfect because I was thinking how I needed to make something and we have church tonight, so it needs to be quick to make and eat. Thanks, Amanda!!!

R said...

i'm glad i stopped by today! i'm always in the mood for a new recipe!

and thanks to kelly who gave the crock-pot chicken recipe earlier. i'll have to try that! i usually just boil my chicken when i need pre-cooked cubes, but this sounds easier and i can freeze them ahead!

Keri said...

I always love a good recipe.....especially since I am cooking challenged!! Actually, I can cook - it's coming up with meals every single day that can get tiring.

So glad you mentioned the cooked chicken thing. I don't know how many times I have skipped recipes because they call forme tp cook the chicken first...how do you do that? Raw chicken grosses me out - I can't even talk about that spongy thing that soaks up the juices. It's better for us all if I start out with it already cooked....by some sweet HEB person.

Aunt_Nette said...

I am hosting Aprils Bunko, and I just decided what I am going to make. With a salad to boot!

teri-free2bme said...

Amanda... looks DeLiCioS!!! I'll try this recipe on family (& my hubby)! I'm ALL into "Love Languages"! Service and Touch are my hubby's top two! Thanks for sharing, and God Bless ya'all!

annalee said...

yummy! i'm glad sunni and your sister insisted you share this, because it looks too good to keep to yourself:)
i think the england difference might have been their cheese. i can't ever get it as sharp and good here!

Rachel said...

I'll have to give this a whirl! It sounds like something my husband would love!

Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

This sounds delicious. And thank the Lord, it doesn't involve polenta.

Sorry, you have no idea why I just said that. I had a polenta-finding adventure this week and even though it is delicious, I'm done with it for a while. :))

Lisa said...

Amanda, I came across your blog while sitting at a co-workers desk one day and well.... I'm addicted. You have such a wonderful outlook on life. Your babies are beautiful. I'm a mother of a 22 & 16 yr old so I enjoy the memories of when my babies were little. I love this recipe. I do a lot of cooking and would love to share some recipes with you that my family enjoys. Let me know if you would be interested.

Alyce said...

Sounds good! well...except the mushrooms. I will have to try that one. I have a "food" blog if you want to try some other recipes :-)

Andreea said...

Oh Amanda, I am so hungry now, after reading that recipe. :) The next time I cook, I will defintely make this!

Leslie Maddox said...

I'm totally making this tonight. Except I think I'll try adding some sweet peas. Love peas with rice.

katiegfromtennessee said...

Little Momma!:)

This recipe sounds fantastic, I'm gonna try it:)

katiegfromtennessee

Chrys and Mike said...

This was delicious! Thanks for posting the recipe.

Chrys