Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Seven Years and a Birthday

It's been a non-stop party around here since Sunday night. Yesterday was our seventh anniversary. Wow. I wonder when we went from thinking of ourselves as newlyweds to feeling so settled in together.

My parents kept the kids for us on Sunday night and we went to dinner at Taste of Texas. It seemed like we were in and out of there in a flash and we weren't ready to be done with our date yet. So we drove over to see our first apartment. It was at The Trails at Rock Creek if anyone knows where that is. We loved living there and the property still looks so nice from the outside.

We had that apartment complex picked out a year before we even got married. When we were engaged we loved to drive by and see it. Curtis would also drive me around pretty neighborhoods and we'd pick out our dream house. I could not wrap my mind around how we could ever get in a grown-up house, but eventually the Lord provided grown-up salaries for us and it happened. Now we're in our dream home in one of those pretty neighborhoods and we still like to think about our first little nesting place. This sounds really weird, but every time I get out a new trash bag, the smell of the bag itself (not the trash) takes me right back to that first place. Maybe I didn't ever take out the trash until I got married. (Mel and Bonny, I love y'all.) I definitely do not want to return to a 700 sq. ft. apartment, but remembering that season makes me grateful. It was like a Jolly Rancher - sweet and hard.

We mostly hung around here on Monday. Jackson had a swim lesson in the afternoon. He's making progress with every single lesson and I'm so proud of him. He jumped in the water and had to get back to the surface mostly without help. He also swam a very short distance from the steps to his coach. I saw the guy's surprised expression and could tell that he said, "You did it!" His partner for that class is an older girl who can already swim and I think it helps that he can see her do it. He did a good job following directions and earned himself an ice cream when we got home.

On Monday night Sunni's family came into town for a mission trip. We got to have dinner with them at our house and hang out for a few hours. It was so much fun. Jackson was at a 10 and completely out of control. He was just so excited for Ava to be here and I think he was still hyped up on the ice cream. Annabeth went to sleep pretty soon after they got here, but not before she and Clara got to have their picture taken together. I'll post pictures of all this later. After Jackson went to sleep (it took him all of 10 seconds to pass out in the bed), Ava performed her dance recital routine for me. Then I had the pleasure of hearing her sing "I am 16 going on 17..." Oh my word. It made my week! Also? Ava had mad bowling skills on the Wii. I was astounded by her many talents.

Today was crazy and fun. Jackson started his summer MDO program this morning. Bless the Lord, O my soul. Lest you think it is only for my benefit, he smiled and waved goodbye to me so very happily when I dropped him off. My child needs a lot to do. Next I zoomed over to a mall to pick up my dad's Father's Day gift. After that, Annabeth and I joined the LPM crew at Pappadeaux for my mom's birthday lunch. So, so fun. We had a whole room to ourselves, which means there was wild laughter and even some dancing. The girls had concocted a dance in honor of Michelle called the Baby Hawk and I got to see it with my own eyes. I'll never be the same. Then I booked it to pick up Jackson from MDO. On the way home we had to go to the grocery store and buy everything we needed to make my mom some birthday cupcakes. I was trembling with fear of inadequacy as I whisked the batter, but I had people praying for my baking needs and the Lord came through for me. They were so delicious! And even pretty! Mom's present from Melissa, Colin, Curtis and me was delivered only minutes before we had to head to her house for dinner. Thank God! We all chipped in and got her a Kindle. (It's kind of like an iPod for books.) She was really excited, which is always fun. The birthday evening festivities were great. My heart is warm and fuzzy tonight.

Now the kids are bathed and in bed and I'm going to sit on my couch and watch TV. Curtis is speaking to a youth mission team tonight and I have it - the TV - all to myself. If I want to watch So You Think You Can Dance, no one is here to stop me.

Tomorrow is another busy day. We have friends coming over to swim, a swim lesson in the early evening, and other friends coming over to hang out after that. I should probably just go to sleep right now!

29 comments:

Nicole said...

Happy Anniversary yesterday, Amanda!! I loved your hubby's post on LPM. Too sweet! This year will be our 12th and I can hardly believe how fast it has gone by.

Have a blessed week!

Marc and Charity said...

Happy Anniversary!

creative gal said...

Sounds like a great day! It is fun to go back and look at where we lived before, places we worked, etc. God gives us those memories to see how far He's helped us grow and how much he's blessed us!

Deirdre said...

girl just reading about your week wears me out. In a good, warm fuzzy way of course.

And I so get it about liking to drive past your old home, even though times were tough. I do that too.

Lori, Landon and Logan said...

Happy 7th Anniversary!

Katie said...

That Dance show sounds like a great tv show. I've not watched it but am glad to have something on tv other than murder and doctor shows. I've always been a fan of Dancing with the Stars.

Lauren said...

How fun!!!!! So glad you had a wonderful anniversary and that your mom had such a nice birthday :)

Holly said...

I love how you pay attention and savor all the details, Amanda. That's good living there.

Enjoy swimming! We are just getting warm enough to enjoy swimming here without goosebumps. The snow is nearly melted from Pikes Peak--kinda late in season.

Jenny said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! How great that y'all got a special date night.

We are currently in the 700sq.ft apartment stage. And I am ready to be OUT of that stage... but thank you for reminding me to cherish this sweet time of simplicity!

Melinda said...

Amanda,

I love reading about your day-to-day with the kids. It makes my heart smile and hearken back to those days when summer was defined by the smell of chlorine, and the sight of kids napping from exhaustion with pool hair and a popsicle mustache.

Thanks for this glimpse at your family and the glance back at mine.

Hugs,
Melinda

Kelli said...

I can't even imagine how sweet Ava was singing from the Sound of Music! So cute! I am glad you got to spend some time with precious friends!

Jackson - way to go with swimming lessons! You are a champ!

annalee said...

that is the perfect way to describe the first married home, like a jolly rancher! i love it.

Marla Taviano said...

Happy Anniversary! Loved Curtis's post about you. :)

Life is like a Jolly Rancher. Brilliant.

Have a great day!!

Heather said...

Ewwww, now I am going to a local CVS to get some Jolly Ranchers! I like that analogy! Hope you had a great anniversary and congrats on 7years!! Sounds like you and the LPM girls had a blast, fun times!!

MamaCass said...

I love the way you described your first apartment. I feel the same way with ours. I miss those days mostly because they were simpler. Happy happy anniversary to both of you!

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

Sounds like a great time was had by all at anniversary and birthday parties! Congratulations on 7 years! That's actually quite a feat in this day and age! I consider myself very blessed to have just celebrated my 36th anniversary with my hubby. Wow! That makes me pretty OLD doesn't it???

I've always known we raised our 3 kids in a small house but never really took time to figure out how small. After reading that you would not want to go back to a "700 square foot" apartment, I got out hubby's tape measure and found out our house is only 984 sq. ft! No wonder it felt so cramped with three teenagers and only one bathroom! ha ha And homeschooling to boot! ha Well, as I look back, those were good days anyway.

I always love hearing about your family.

God bless you!

Marilyn

Kiki said...

Sounds like you guys had a great time!

We still drive by grown up houses and dream...

Jennifer said...

Happy Anniversary! So glad you enjoyed your day together. What a sweet couple!

Love,
Jennifer

katiegfromtennessee said...

Happy Anniversary Little Momma:):) You had a good weekend, full of family and friends. I have never heard of a Kindle before...the Lord has provided for you over the years:)

Blessings,

katiegfromtennessee

Missy said...

Such a fun week for you!

Moose Mama said...

What a happy, fun weekend...and into the week!!

I'm a little worn out from reading all that. That's why we have babies when we're young. Well sort of...I had my last baby at 42. No wonder I'm tired!!

Blessings to you and your sweet family.

Melana :)

Unknown said...

Just wanted to let you know I have given you a blog award! Go check out my blog to get it!

Missy said...

I am so glad you are enjoying the blessing that is MDO, and that Jackson is as excited about it as my kids are. Every time I tell Walker, "I need a break from the kids" he reminds me, "They need a break from you too."

Happy Anniversary!!

valerie said...

Happy Anniversary!

Ronda said...

I can so relate to your comment about your first apartment. We lived in a 650 sq. ft. apartment off of Jones road. Those memories are unbelievably sweet...we are about to be married 8 years and it seems like time has just flown!!!!

Tracy said...

Long time reader... first time commenter... :) My husband and I got married on the same day as you. We celebrated 7 years on Monday as well. It's gone by super fast.
Your children are beautiful!

Bobbie said...

It sounds like a busy week but definitely one for the memory book. We'll have to try Taste of Texas, we eat out so much and would like to find some new places. When we come into Houston to shop, we almost always go to Pappasitos since there's still not one in Aggieland!

I love hearing the stories about Jackson and his swim lessons. Our daughter and DIL both taught swimming lessons for years so we get to hear the 'coach's' side of the lessons-hilarious stories.

When Wayne & I were married at the All Faith's Chapel we remained in CS for a month before going into the Air Force and lived in a little duplex on Cain Rd (off Wellborn). They were new at the time and 37 years later when we retired and came back that was one of the first places we stopped on our 'magical memory tour' of our new home. Fun memories!

Have a great weekend...

Dionna said...

A kindle is a great gift idea for your mom! I have been eyeing them a little bit but since I'm still raising two young ladies I don't have the time or the budget to put a bunch of books on them.... yet. :)

Unknown said...

the 15th was our 7th anniversary also! I remember being at a LPL the summer of '01 and your mom announced your engagement. I remember wondering if i'd be getting engaged soon too...and i did! :)
happy, happy!