Tuesday, January 09, 2007

A Day in the Life



8:00 a.m. - Jackson awakens. I administer food and Curt gives him a bath. I furiously get myself ready to go to Jackson's doctor's office. Jackson plays in the exersaucer.

9:35 a.m. - Jackson and I rush out the door and he seems amused that we're getting in the car. I accidentally thump his mouth while buckling him in. He tries not to cry but his facial expression breaks my heart.

10:30 a.m. - I'm given a hot pack to apply to Jackson's toe so that he doesn't feel the blood test he's getting today. He cries when I won't let him bite it. He smiles and laughs at the nurse as she squeezes blood from his toe.

11:00 a.m. - I buy a new lighter-weight jacket for Jackson at Old Navy since he hates his other one. I get my eyebrows done again. I feel conned by the people at the spa but I try to let it go. Jackson experiments with high pitched squealing.

11:50 a.m. - I bonk Jackson's head on a door frame at home. He cries. I feel horrible. What's up with this day?

Noon - Jackson lays down for a nap. I notice that one sock is missing and I can't find it. I don't try to put another one on because I don't want to wake him. A blanket will keep his feet warm.

1:30 p.m. - Little boy wakes up. I take too long to whisk him out of the crib and he whines. I see that he is chewing something. It's his BAND-AID! Help me, Lord! I fish it out of his mouth and he screams bloody murder.

3:00 p.m. - Jackson figures out how to push open the swinging door that closes the kitchen and laundry room off from the rest of the house. Oh. No. I try to brainstorm a way to solve this problem. I can't think of anything short of eventually removing the door and replacing it with a real door or a baby gate. This makes me very sad. Notice the one sockless foot.



4:00 p.m. - Jackson plays furiously with a couple of plastic rings. He holds them both in his hands while he crawls. Clomp. Clomp. Clomp. He realizes that if he throws them both to the ground they will bounce around. It makes his day.









4:15 a.m. - Exhausted, he collapses on his blanket. My heart melts with affection.


5:00 p.m. - Jackson cruises all over the ottoman. He also bounces up and down. Curtis and I have a blast watching this.

6:30 p.m. - The Jones family drives to the gym. Jackson falls asleep in the car. I realize he never took his second nap. Curt decides to stay in the car with him while I go to aerobics. For the first time in 3 months. I pray about my attitude because I am not a big fan of the new instructor. A friend from church is in the class. It makes it more fun. I leave happy and not bitter. V-I-C-T-O-R-Y!

8:00 p.m. - The Mister snacks on some post-dinner goldfish. He chokes and throws up. It's really gross. Curtis points out that the goldfish he just regurgitated are pretty much whole. Apparently he has neglected to chew many of them. I realize we introduced the sacred snack a little too soon.

9:00 p.m. - Baby sleeps. We made it through this weird day.

11:09 p.m. - Husband is asleep on the couch and he accidentally almost fell off onto the floor. I am really tickled.

7 comments:

Steph V said...

What a great post. I'll have to keep the idea in mind for future posts when nothing exciting is going on. I of course say that knowing how silly it sounds. Something I have learned in the last year is once they become mobile, there's always something exciting! Jackson is precious! Oh, and normally I would feel really sorry for you that he's learned to push open swinging doors, but JD has mastered the turning of knobs so I still think you're doing better than I am! Talk to me when you forget to lock the door and someone comes toddling in while your on the toilet!! Haha!

Kevin and Christie said...

Whew...sounds like a very fun day! I am sure that there will be many days that I will need the support of great Mom's like YOU!

Anonymous said...

It's not his age...I have found whole, non chewed gold fish in some of Hunter's ummm, how do we say it...uhh, well you know...before. Apparently gold fish can survive the chewing process.

Kristen said...

My, my that's a cute boy you have!

kari said...

must be a sleepy husband! sounds like he needs a "reading day"....that's what we give danny when he's that pooped. i take the baby and he gets to stay home & read the old guys (that's what we call all his puritan books) :)kari

McClure Family said...

I can so relate to your day! There is never a boring one, amen?

becky marshall said...

hi amanda, this is kari's mom. i found your blog after reading kari's tonight. i have an idea about the swinging door that may or may not work. you can take an old fashioned rubber door stopper and cram it under the door from one side, and it will prevent jackson from opening it. at least from that one side...and at least, maybe for a little while until he figures it out. worth a try! jackson is a cutie.