Thursday, January 25, 2007

Just Do It

Bless his heart, my little boy had a hard day. Colds + Jackson = Frustration. Sleep, food, water, TV, music, toys...none of these things would do. He liked his warm bath. He liked riding in the car. He liked taking his Tylenol. And like old times, he liked for me to hold him - only while standing up and moving.

It was really hard for me to work today. I called my mom and said, "I need you to tell me that I don't need to quit my job, that this will pass, and that this is just because he doesn't feel well." Then she repeated it all back to me. At about 3 p.m. I decided that if we didn't get some fresh air, something very dramatic was going to happen. I put on an outfit and makeup, got Jackson ready, and headed out the door.

My desitation for fresh air? The Galleria. Hey, there's a lot of air in that 3 story building. My mental list contained a new giant purse from Aldo, kitchen sink soap from Williams-Sonoma, something cute for myself from Banana (ptl, I still have a gift card there), and new clothes and shoes for Jackson. Then I saw the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad traffic on the freeway and headed back home. But I put on makeup! And an outfit!

Then my car got a mind of its own, passed a lovely park, and headed toward the Gap in Las Colinas. I got this and some new pants for Jackson. Then after spending way more than I meant to, I strolled Jackson across the huge parking lot (there's the fresh air) to Rack Room Shoes. That's where I found these. So now my son has his first pair of Nikes.

As soon as Curt got home I put him in the t-shirt and shoes. He was completely adorable and even stood up by himself so well in his new shoes. We both thought he was going to start running. But, oh my gosh, in the shirt and the shoes and the hair...he was suddenly a toddler. So I did what any mother would do. I yelled out to my husband, "Take them off right now! Get them off! I mean it!"

3 comments:

Richardsons of HV said...

I want that shirt!!!!
OH, so sad that they grow up so fast!! People told me that but I didn't believe it. I believe it now...I have a 7 year old!

Sarah said...

Oh my goodness, that last line was funny! I've been lurking here a while but had to de-lurk when I read about your day. Sick kids make me want to crawl back under my covers. I hope Jackson is feeling better soon, for your sanity! :)

Janelle and Ella said...

AHH!! That's hilarious!! You always brighten my work morning! Seriously, those shoes are the cutest things I have ever seen!