Sunday, March 18, 2007

St. Patrick's Day

Happy St. Patrick's Day! I hope you all got pinched by someone you love. I did not, but my husband will be home tomorrow night and you just never know. The fact that this day coincides with rodeo time in Houston kind of creates a perfect storm. It's when everyone gets in touch with their inner Irish cowboy.

Please humor me as I share some things that connect me to my Irish heritage.

-My dad's side of the family is Irish. Supposedly we were the O'Moores before coming to America. My grandparents have been to Ireland and kissed the Blarney Stone. When I was a child my grandfather introduced me to all kinds of special music like Hank Williams Jr., Jerry Jeff Walker, The Fightin' Texas Aggie Band, and Irish folk music. That was definitely not an unusual mix. My favorite song was "When Irish Eyes are Smiling." Pappaw and I developed a deep bond over all things Irish. The first time he met Jackson was exactly one year ago today, which I felt was very fitting. I had Jackson dressed in a onesie that said, "Little good luck charm."

-In college I discovered a penchant for river dancing. I am quite good despite the fact that I have no idea how to dance, in a river or otherwise.

-In third grade I convinced my b.f.f. that I was a leprechaun.

-I proudly wore my "Made in Ireland" t-shirt when we spent our 5 months in England. It was an absolute delight to wear it on St. Paddy's Day. Imagine my surprise when I found out that the British don't celebrate that day, despite their proximity to Ireland. And they don't think of the Irish as being very intelligent. In fact, they will call something Irish if it's dumb. Someone may have been in the wrong country!

Jackson and I are finally heading home tomorrow. We've had a very sweet time with my parents and we'll be sad to leave. I don't enjoy being four hours away from them, but I know if we lived closer I would not have the opportunity to spend several nights under the same roof with them. There's something sweet about that. This house has become a retreat for me. Jackson has absolutely fallen in love with his grandparents and I know he will miss them.

Next time you hear from me it will be from my very own living room in North Texas and my husband will be watching basketball next to me while I blog. Home is where the Hubs is.

4 comments:

dreamingBIGdreams said...

There is something quite sweet about being under your parents roof again,especially when you have kids for them to love on!

Since my parents live about 13 hours awaythe visits are not as often, but when they are we usually stay awhile. I'll be in and out of their home this summer for an entire month!!!

Kelly @ Love Well said...

Being of Irish descent myself, I wore green yesterday and thanked God for St. Patrick. (You've seen the story of St. Patrick on VeggieTales "Sumo of the Opera," right? It's hysterical.)

And I loved that you wore your Irish shirt in England. I can just see it....

FitzandMolly said...

I soooo can riverdance.

Anonymous said...

Courtney can river dance and ribbon dance. I have seen her. She made me join in.