Sunday, January 18, 2009

Expecting

What are you up to right now? I am sitting on the couch eating the last of my butterscotch haystacks from Christmas. I thought they were all gone, but I found some in the fridge. I don't know about you, but I like them cold. I also like to eat chocolate when it's cold. When Melissa and I were kids, we used to buy frozen candy bars at the swimming pool. I would bang mine on something hard and make it break in half. Then I would marvel at the smooth, clearly defined layers of the Milky Way bar. Those were the days - eating candy bars in our bathing suits with no worry and no shame.

Another thing I've been doing tonight is eating lots of crushed ice. I'm craving it so bad. Hopefully I won't have cracked teeth in my first pictures with the baby. I'm not sure where this craving is coming from. I read that it could be an iron deficiency, but maybe it's coming from my deep desire to be in labor and enjoying crushed ice at the hospital. Baylor Grapevine had some good ice and they put it in an enormous cup for you. I hope my hospital here has that. Tomorrow I go for my 36 week appointment. Maybe I'll ask.

For all of you ice crunchers, pickle munchers, ice cream-craving when you're not throwing up your toenails people, there's a new book I want to tell you about. Remember when I wrote about Marla Taviano and her book, Changing Your World One Diaper at a Time? (Go here to read that post.) I enjoyed reading it so much late last spring as we were getting ready to start trying for a new baby. At that time I knew Marla was working on a new book especially for Pregnant Girls. It was just released and it's called Expecting: Praying for Your Child's Development - Body and Soul.


Expecting is one of the neatest book ideas I've ever seen. It's divided into - you guessed it - 40 weeks. Each week has a corresponding Scripture, an inspirational quote, a prayer for Baby's body and soul according to his or her development that week, a description of Baby's development, and a description of what Mom's body is going through. Marla includes some spiritual encouragement for Mom in there too. Each week ends with a question and space to journal the answer. Isn't that the coolest idea ever? I am so bummed that I can't be one of the first people to do this book all the way through! I'm just going to order a few and have them on hand for friends who become pregnant. The cool thing is that Second (Third and Fourth) Time Pregnant Girls will enjoy this just as much as First Time Pregnant Girls because you always want a way to mark the weeks going by. Plus, your prayers for each child are unique.

If you're interested in getting your hands on Expecting, you can order it here on Marla's web site. If you don't already have her other books, be sure and read my old post about those. They are Changing Your World One Diaper at a Time, From Blushing Bride to Wedded Wife, and Is That All He Thinks About? The older three are offered in a bundle for $20 (or of course you can get them separately).

As I said in that other post, Marla is a really neat, really fun, really godly lady with a great Big Sister voice. I've enjoyed getting to know her through her blog for the last year or more. I can't remember how long it's been now. She's a fantastic writer and an authentic person who doesn't shy away from sharing her own struggles, which I appreciate very much. Marla, I think you're awesome! Thank you for pouring into those of us who are just a few steps behind you.

27 comments:

Ali said...

I love me some Marla! She rocks. I am in week 10 of my second pregnancy - I need to get this book!

jamie b said...

That sounds like a really neat book. If I'm ever preggers again I'll have to get it!

I craved ice SO bad towards the end of my pregnancy and low and behold I had low iron. Weird craving for that huh?! I was working at our church where we had a crushed ice machine. It was like heaven. :)

Dionna said...

I love cold chocolate but I've never heard of it sold frozen! How cool is that? I like my candy bars cold and especially my mini chocolate donuts. :)
That book sounds so wonderful. What a fantastic idea. Wish I had had it when I was pregnant with my two.

R said...

girl--what IS is about ice?! presby plano has some kickin' ice too. i look forward to it every time i have a baby! (our #3 is due in May)

and how lucky that you found some hiding haystacks?! i'm about to send my man on a 7-11 cream cheese jalapeno taquito with a cherry slurpee run. sadly, with this pregnancy i'm craving bad convenience store food. however, i won't set my foot inside a store myself to get it! haha

Michelle said...

That book sounds awesome; I would have loved to have gone through it with all four of my babies!! I know a woman who encouraged me to read books about the baby's development week to week, and each week pray for the specific body parts developing that week. I always thought that was a cool idea! She also sat down with us and prayed with us about breaking spiritual generational strongholds, and also passing on what we saw as generational family blessings. That was so cool. I specifically got verses that I felt were for specific children, too.
Blessings to you and your precious baby! And baby's big brother and Father, too!!

Lindsee Lou said...

I'm pretty sure I lived on crushed ice for a good 7 years. It was ridiculous. It's surprising I have any teeth left! However, I do believe that it is directly correlated to an iron deficiency! Because I'm pretty sure I have one!

Fran said...

I've got a dear friend that is early on in her pregnancy and keeping it low key until they feel "out of the woods." I'm going to get her this book. She will love it!!!

Now, you have me craving some Sonic ice! :)

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

Praying for you as you spend your last weeks before you touch her toes in person. Such a miracle that baby knows you, your voice. Praying all goes well for you. He's holding your hand. Isa 41:13. He's got you covered on every side. 2 Chron 32:22.

Lauren said...

I'm not an expectant mom and I have no children, but this is definitely something worth remembering for when the time comes. Thanks Amanda. I love your blog :)

Phillips Family said...

Ah, Baylor Grapevine ice is heavenly. I had both my kids there (we live about 2 minutes away) and with the second child we asked if we could have an extra mug because the husband and I would "fight" over who got to use the mug given to us with our first child.

I also became addicted to small boxes of Fruit Loops due to baylor grapevine after birthing my second child because the kind nurse would always bring them to me in the middle of the night while feeding my baby. Good times. Hope your hospital is as nice with this sweet baby girl

Anonymous said...

When I was pregnant with #2 I had a dream that I delivered her in Target, they took me to the hospital to get checked out... I was fine so they let me go home. As we were pulling away from the hospital I remembered that I did not get my juice with the rabbit poop ice. I don't know what to call that kind of ice except that. I ran back inside and begged them to admit me so I could get my cup of ice. :)
So I guess would consider myself an ice craver! H

Lora said...

I've been watching the snow gently fall, thank you for asking! The book sounds like a great gift for expectant mothers. I enjoy praying Stormie Omartian's Power of a Praying Parent for my teens.

Jenny said...

Hi Amanda, I saw you at church yesterday, and I must say that from the backside, you DO NOT EVEN look pregnant! I didn't realize it was you until you turned around! You are in great shape and look as beautiful as always! :)

Marla Taviano said...

Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Amanda. You are too, too, too kind! Love you billions!

And I hope you print out what Jen wrote (about you not looking pregnant from behind) and tape it to every full-length mirror in your house!

Have an awesome day! You rock my world!

Jamie said...

My sister follows your blog and was telling me that you are due about the same time as me. I'm due March 5th...I guess I should go back and compare the pregnancy 'funs'. :)

Your comments about Marla's book are so sweet! Marla is a really good friend of mine, and I can't wait to get my copy of the book and read it as well! She's truly a fantastic author and an AMAZING godly woman/friend/mother/wife! She's the real thing! :)

Missy said...

What a great idea for a book. I can't wait to check it out! Thanks for sharing.

Crushed ice is sounding really good, especially when I am trying to withhold from eating a THIRD breakfast this morning. :) Hope your Dr. appt goes well.

Tara G. said...

I used to get those kinda malted tasting bars that were frozen at the pool when I was little and it was so fun to smash them on the sidewalk before eating them. I still love a cold Baby Ruth, too- with Dr. Pepper.

Unknown said...

Amanda, I so enjoy reading your blog! I love cold chocolate, but also cold birthday cake! YUM!

I want to wish you the very best of luck with your baby girl, the labor, delivery, breastfeeding, and adjustment to two. I had my 2nd last May and it is a huge change, but there is nothing sweeter than seeing the two of them together!

You have inspired me to create my own blog, feel free to peek if you get a chance....www.hippyshappenings.blogspot.com.

Heidi S said...

What perfect timing! I have one friend who just found out she's expecting and one who is due in April. These books are as good as bought. Thanks!

Jerry, Lauren, Kaylee, and Isaac! said...

I just ordered it! I am 12 weeks(tommorow) prego with #2! Thanks so much! I know you are excited and time is creeping for you! I can't wait to "meet" baby girl!

Sarah said...

The best thing about having three babies at Baylor Grapevine (besides the babies themselves) was those huge cups! I still have two of the three. If your hospital doesn't come through, let me know and I'll have my BF Bridget steal you one. She's due early March. (Just kidding about the stealing part. I meant "borrow forever.")

And if I can convince Pace to try for #4, I'm heading for that book--it sounds great!

Janelle and Ella said...

That book sounds so awesome!! I can not wait get my hands on it when the time comes.

Jamie said...

Amanda,

I work at a Hallmark store in Indiana, where we carry many Christian books and gift items. This book just came in and was put on the shelf the other day. I'm not married or expecting, but seriously wish I knew someone who was at the beginning of pregnancy to give this to. (Baby Boom Feb. 2009, anyone?) It's an AMAZING book, I agree. Thanks for posting about it!

Jamie

Becca said...

Crushed ice is the only craving I have had during my pregnancy! I make my regular morning stop at either QuickTrip or Sonic for some great crushed ice!! And, thanks for the book suggestions!

Alana said...

I wish I had of known about these books earlier on!!!!

And FYI...I am munching ice like crazy too. If you deliver at womens they have the good ice!

Lauren said...

Wow! What a cool idea for a book!

katiegfromtennessee said...

Now, I'm getting ready to pack for my mission trip!:)...um, deep desire to be in labor?? You inspire me Little Momma:)...Ooo, hoped your appointment went well. I had a dr's aptmt on Mon, didn't go as well, I fainted after I got a shot. I need help, what can I say? The Lord is good to me...Oh, I got two of Marla's books since you posted last, but we will see if I need to get that one:)

katiegfromtennessee