Sunday, January 04, 2009

Monday = Back to Normal

I'll be sad to kiss the hubby goodbye tomorrow morning when he goes back to work. It's been a long and great break. However, I know a mommy and a little boy who desperately need to get back in their groove. And I know a certain household that desperately needs to be organized.

Every single room in this house was turned upside down this weekend. It seriously looked like we were getting ready to move again. Shudder. First of all, when we got home from Missouri, the dying Christmas tree immediately had me sneezing and feeling like poop. We had to get it out right away. So we spent all Saturday de-Christmasing our house. Also? Jackson's new furniture was scheduled to be delivered that evening. That meant we had to clean out his new room, which has simply been a haven for random things for the last nine months. That got Curtis in the mood to clean out the nursery (read: throw a ton of stuff away or into random boxes that means nothing to a dad but a mom would want to keep) without telling me. I put a stop to that pretty quick once I caught on (not very graciously), but not before the entire floor space was covered in stuff. Ugh! It is all just sitting there. Shall I go on? There are three huge suitcases spilling their guts into our bedroom that need to be unpacked, plus living room furniture that needs to be moved back. And I am so tired. And there are no groceries, except for ingredients to make lasagna and that's not exactly fun to make when you're tired.

I'll stop whining now. Jackson is asleep upstairs in his big boy room for the second night. I'm really pleased with how the room turned out. I'll post some pictures this week when we make a bit more progress. Today we bought some curtains for the room with blackout liners that I hope will make it easy for him to sleep well. What y'all don't know is that he slept in a completely dark room while we were in Missouri and we were waking him up every morning at 8:30 or 9. Unbelievable! And he napped easily every day for two hours minimum. It was like going to Disneyland for me.

Overall, the weekend was a mix of very good and very awful.

Friday:
*Lunch with my sister, mom, Jackson and Curtis. Jackson was a total handful and Curtis and I, at our wits end with him, were not very good company. I left feeling embarrassed.

*Dinner with the Altics at Brenner's Steakhouse to celebrate Curtis' 28th birthday. I can't tell you how much we enjoyed ourselves. It was such a blessing. Good food and great company. Gift cards and free babysitting that made the night totally painless.

Saturday:
*The day from heck. Total discord in our family and chaos in our house. Boo hiss. Also, Jackson peed on our dining room table. I'll spare you the details.

*Dinner with some of my college girlfriends - Mel, Missy, and Sarah. (Maggie, we missed you!) We spent four hours at the Cheesecake Factory in the Woodlands. Holy cow, we had so much fun. One of the girls, who shall remain nameless, is also expecting and experiencing the B's of Doom. We were able to comfort each other, just as we did back in college when we were so annoyed by the bounty of blessings that the Lord had bestowed on us. Let me just tell y'all that the people sitting around our table got quite an earful during those four hours and will probably need some counseling. On my way home I turned on the 90's radio station and enjoyed some Vanilla Ice. Yes, if you were on I-45 and the Beltway at 11:45 last night you might have seen a Very Pregnant Woman driving a Suburban and singing - rapping rather - a song she liked when she was 11 years old. And you would have been lucky to see such a sight. You know, back in the day you might have seen me rollin' in my 5.0 with my ragtop down so my hair could blow.

Sunday:
*We made some progress on the house, but not enough. I can't believe it still looks like this after all the work we've done! We went to Target and bought some things for Jackson's room with various gift cards we've accumulated.

*Curtis preached at our church's evening service and then we had dinner at my parents' house. Thank you, Mom. We had nothing to eat and we're tired of eating out. The Ascend service was great! It was fun to see people we love but never run into anymore. I regret that I did not plan the day better so Curtis could have some peace and quiet before he had to preach. I had forgotten that skill from our Saturday Service days at First Irving.

No clever or good ending. I'm off to bed. Happy Monday and blessings to all of you going back to work tomorrow. Peace out.

42 comments:

Ingram Gang said...

My hubby heads back to work tomorrow after having much time off. You summed it up great...sad to have him leave, but a routine is needed.
I have read your blog for a few months and I may have commented before, or maybe not, I can't remember. But, I just wanted to let you know that I always appreciate your authenticity.
My hubby is in the ministry as well and I could SO relate to your feelings about his preaching. Too many times, I wish I would have given him a break between the 'be at home' mode and speaking.
Happy Monday!
~Ashley~

Tara G. said...

We just returned from a vacation and my house has a similar syndrome- or maybe it's me with the syndrome- I am a firstborn after all... it's amazing how I can feel like the world is closing in on me when my routine has disappeared and my house is in chaos and one of the children has an issue that I desperately need wisdom to deal with (I think they tag team me). So I'm going to have some hot chocolate, go to bed, and hopefully have some new perspective in the morning! I so appreciate your transparency, Amanda!

Jackie said...

i hear your pain of needing to get back on a schedule. as much as the holidays were a blast and having hubby around a little more was fun...my little sara (3 1/2) NEEDS her routine, as does this mamma. MDO, dance, Wed night small group...we are WELCOMING you back!

breaks are rough...and my house is turned upside down too. not even sure why or how, i have no excuses other than we have been home TOO much and played hard!

good luck getting back to it all! and getting the house back in order!

Immeasurably More Mama said...

Oh, Amanda, reading this made me feel better about the state of our house right now! Thank you for letting me know that I'm not alone today as I try to get everything back in order. Who am I kidding?...This is probably going to take days! (:

Rachel said...

"Yo, VIP, let's kick it..." LOL

I've been known to bust a move to that, too. Should we be admitting that? :)

petrii said...

Amanda,
I so feel ya on the house cleaning situation. I am having the hardest time getting my house back in shape. Had major knee surgery back in NOVEMBER (yes you read that right) and still am struggling with the house . . . boo hiss indeed =)

Have a Blessed and fun house-cleaning kind of day,
Dawn

Three Fold Cord said...

Your dinner Friday sounds awful!!
I have been there so many times and it is just the worst feeling ever. Those days are the ones where i gladly put them to bed early hoping to get a jump start on the next day

Holly said...

Seems like someone posted a crock pot lasagna recipe in the cookbook--that may be easy.

And? Ice Ice Baby! :-) That makes me smile!

You know one thing I will do, when the lists are endless? I begin to pray, "Lord, order my day, please. I am so overwhelmed." And then I do the first thing, then the second. It keeps me from being put in a facility for people with nervous breakdowns, I think.

Erica said...

Girl, I just love how very real you are. We are getting back on track today as well. I actually have a schedule and everything, and wouldn't you know that my girls are actually sleeping in...we were supposed to start at 8:00...it is already 8:40. Oh well, a little more time for me.
talk to you soon.

Jennifer said...

i totally understand the post-Christmas crazy house. i think we are finally starting to get things put away and in their new homes. i can also relate to the restaurant situation. we've been there before too. :)

hopefully some routine and the wonderful Grace of God will get us through! :)

Patty said...

I laughed throughout your post but I loved what you said about the dark curtains...Disneyland to a mom..oh how I wish those curtains had been available 18 years ago when my second son was born. He never slept.

Jackson and the dining room table..don't you just love boys? lol

I think you need a very restful and peaceful Monday!

Allison said...

Bless your heart. I am praying for you. I just spent this weekend organizing our entire house...it was painful enough doing it NOT as a VPG. Thinking of you.

Amy Beth @ Ministry So Fabulous! said...

"Also, Jackson peed on the dining room table."

Girl, I about LOST IT. That is HILARIOUS.

barbara head said...

Almost all the respondents to this blog are young with children but I can tell you us "ol fok" are anxious to get back to a routine. I am not pregnant nor do I have little ones at home but I am totally exhausted. The biggest difference is that now when my regular routine starts, I can sit down in the afternoon and take a little nap. Thank you, Jesus!!!

R said...

Husby went back to work today too after 2 weeks off. i feel so guilty about being glad to get back into our routine without him! i LOVE having him home, but it's a huge adjustment for our routine.

i know what you mean about disheleved houses. ours is too! there are so many errands i need to run, too, but the weather's a little icy in N TX here until noon, then rainy after that. so this gal does NOT want to get out! :0)

wah wah wah...don't know why i posted. nothing edifying about it! :0) just wanted to commiserate.

AnnG said...

The thing I LOVE about reading your blog is that you are soooo real here! You tell about the trials of being married, raising a little boy, being pregnant, and involved in the ministry. It makes us "regular" people feel like we are not in such a bad place. If you can make it through this time in life than so can we! Thanks for "keepin' it real"!

Haley said...

I was just telling my hubby that I wished that he didn't have to work! I love having him here! It comforted me to see that when you went to lunch with your mom, sis and curtis that he behaved badly and you felt embarrassed. That happens to us pretty often, so I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one and also that I'm not failing as a parent! Now that it's time to organize for you, have you started "nesting" yet? That might make it easier and give you more energy!
-Haley in TN

Fran said...

My oldest has those curtains with the fancy black lining or whatever and we all love it. Makes me want it! :)

I think we are all in a state of shock and trying to get back into the groove. Just know that you aren't alone.

Hugs,
Fran

Allison said...

He peed on the dining room table??? I LOVE it! That is so somthing that one of mine would do. Happy New Year!

McClure Family said...

so glad to know that someone else's house looks like mine! i hope things get back to "normal" soon...love you!

Ashley said...

My hubby is back at work today after having 2 weeks off. It has been so nice, however, it's going to be so nice to get back into routine. I've added your name to my list of 23 friends that are prego this year! 23! Can you believe that? Everyone is pregnant! I'll be praying for you during this last month!

Missy said...

Praying that you are having a productive day today and hoping you are having some victory over the chaos!

lavonda said...

You're definitely not alone, oh gracious goodness. Our home looked great when we walked into it yesterday afternoon after being gone a week home to Florida to see my family. Then, after the suburban was unpacked, you'd think every room had been ransacked. So today involves unpacking for 5 people (praise Jesus for my mama's washing machine at home that I washed all our laundry in before we left -- now I just need to put clean clothes away!)
woo hoo!

And we didn't have time to take the tree down before we left... so that's the rest of my day. Yuck. I hate undecorating, but once it's done, it feels and looks good.

Honey, blackout curtains are a mama's dream come true! PBKids has some great ones.

You're definitely not alone. We probably even weigh the same and have the same B's of Doom, but I'm not pregnant! :)

There's a treadmill in the other room with my name all over it. Gotta go call Jenny too....

Mary Lindsey said...

First let me say I've been reading your blog for a while, but have never commented. :-/ Don't really know why, but I really enjoy your transparency and how we are at the same point in life.

Now that that's been said, all I have left to say is that I am right there with you, sister! Our weekend made our house look like a tornado ransacked it, and to top it all off, my sweet girl woke up at 11:30, and didn't go back to sleep until 4:15 due to double ear infections. Bleh!

Yay for black out curtains... they rock!

Laurie M said...

Blackout liners ROCK THE HOUSE! I had them in my nursery at our first house and had to settle for dark denim curtains this time around.

twinkle said...

Happy New Year, girl! It's off with a BANG! And I second what Holly said. I definitely get overwhelmed and have to ask God to order my day that I'm on overload. It is a BLAST when He does that for me. Gee, I should do that more often!

Gloria said...

I love your blog and feel your pain about your house. My husband waits until I go somewhere and then he decides he is going to rearrange the furniture the pictures on the wall, cramms things in the closets....it is so frustrating...urghh! Those men we love them, but they have a totally different mindset to a clean, organized home. Take care of yourself and get some rest....just break your tasks into small tasks and then you won't feel so overwhelmed.

Ashton said...

Peace out for sure...fun to read your post.
Alli

Marla Taviano said...

My house is a trash pit too, after 10 days in Florida. And today was my little one's b-day, so I tried to make her day special instead of cleaning everything up.

Whew. I'm beat. Praying for you as you head into the home stretch. And I should have a copy of Expecting to send you soon.

HUGS!!

debra parker said...

2 hour naps!!

I am wondering if I buy some room darkening drapes could I sleep I sleep for 2 hour naps?

I wish. I wish.

Lindsee Lou said...

I too, am so ready to get back into a routine.

It was fun seeing you last night, and hearing Curtis for the first time. He did great and I got so tickled with the Marley & Me story. Oh my gosh! Hilarious. However, I can't talk because I bawled my eyes out!

Hope your week is wonderful, Amanda!

Lindsee Lou said...

I too, am so ready to get back into a routine.

It was fun seeing you last night, and hearing Curtis for the first time. He did great and I got so tickled with the Marley & Me story. Oh my gosh! Hilarious. However, I can't talk because I bawled my eyes out!

Hope your week is wonderful, Amanda!

Lauren said...

Oh my goodness, Amanda. I hope you are a little de-stressed by now. Schedules and a house that is (somewhat) orderly are things that make my life better, and I have a hard time when they're all off-kilter. I bet that by the end of this week, everything will be better for you!

Amy said...

Okay, spill it. Where do I get the dark curtains for my 2 1/2 y/o????? Hope you all had a good Monday.

Sabrina said...

Aren't blackout curtains glorious? Emy has them and I can't live without them. Anytime we travel I insist on hanging towels or blankets up to make the same effect. Oh, and I CAN'T wait to see the bedding all put together. Please post pics ASAP:)

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

Oh my---what a week. And 2.5/3 can be such a tough stage...especially when a sibling is on the way. I'm praying that you have a "Groovy" good week

bethany said...

Can't judge you for Jackson still in a crib, cause so is my Jak. And will be. I have NO plans of moving him out of one until he is 18 :) I just can't handle the thought of no more naps and I'm afraid that would be the result of a toddler bed for this one.

lavonda said...

Hey there,
I made your butterscotch haystacks last weekend for my family in Florida -- I made a ton of them (tripled the recipe in the Siesta Cookbook) and we ate a half ton. My eager eyes were way bigger than all our stomachs put together!
So, needless to say, guess what I'm eating for breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day?
M'mm Good.

MamaCass said...

Yes, Amanda. It is nice to back in the groove today after a hectic holiday. I hope you are able to get and feel more organized this week! We still have to take down our Christmas decorations. I shouldn't even be on this computer. =)

Payton's mom said...

Amanda- I found your blog last year when I was pregnant with my first. I LOVE how real you are and all that you share. It really had encouraged me this year and helped me make it through my first months with my precious girl. I can't believe she is already 9 months. I graduated from A&M in Dec 03 and was in Phi Lamb. I think we might of met a few times, but am not sure. Wish we would of known each other. I bet we would of had a blast. Anyway just wanted to finally come out in the open, lol, and thank you for the encouragment!

Michelle said...

Amanda - this is my first time to comment on your blog. I am on the siesta blog but just visit yours. However, my daughter-in-law is expecting her first born 3 weeks after you. We have enjoyed reading all your PG and VPG posts. She is at a breast feeding class right now and we laughed our heads off about the B...of doom! They are going to be surprised about the sex but we are having so much fun looking at all your pink stuff! I have a 21 month old grandson and really want to buy some pink! Good luck to you in the upcoming weeks and keep your good humor! God Bless

katiegfromtennessee said...

Sounds like your weekend was mixed, Little Momma, me too:)...I still haven't deChristmased anything, it took me long enough to get it up:)...Jackson sleeping good is always a plus, but tinkling on the table is a def negative:)...Vanilla Ice! That is funny stuff, I can picture you doing that believe it or not:)...I'm sure Curtis's message was blessed:)

katiegfromtennessee