Saturday, January 17, 2009

Weekend with Bibby

Go visit Sunni's blog if you want to see something very, very sweet!

My friends seem to all give birth in clusters. This week four of my friends had babies. The same thing happened a couple of times last year, including one crazy day of four!

We have been so busy for the last nine days. Since a week ago Friday, Curtis and I have only been at home together one night. In that span of time, we went out with Missy and Spencer and had a Sequence tournament, I met up with Lori (of Bargain Shopper Lady fame) at the Dessert Gallery, I went to my last bunco before the baby comes, we started LPM Bible study, and Curt started his Wednesday night Bible study at church. This weekend he has been doing a Disciple Now at a church in town and tomorrow morning he will have the honor of preaching at that church's Sunday services. Like I said - busy! Plus, we all have a cold on top of our baby fever.

So if I've been neglecting my poor little blog, it has nothing to do with lack of things to talk about. Rather, I seem to be having a hard time actually sitting still long enough to filter through everything running through my mind. We'll just call that pregnancy-induced ADD.

When I knew we wouldn't be seeing much of Hubs this weekend, I asked Mom to save the date for Jackson and me. If I weren't so far along in the pregnancy, this would have been a great time to visit my North Texas friends. In fact, I would have loved accidentally going into labor up there and having my old doctor deliver me in that super nice hospital. But Mom talked me out of it when she asked what I would do if I went into labor during the four hour drive. Who wants to unexpectedly deliver her baby in Centerville, Texas? Not me if I can help it.

Mom came over after work on Friday and we started our Weekend 'O Fun. She got to see Jackson's new room and the baby's nursery for the first time. She loved both. Then we went to a neighborhood pizzeria for dinner, stopped by the grocery store, and finished off with ice cream cones at Baskin Robbins. Yum. After that we headed to her house to hang out. Mom offered to let Jackson spend the night so I could sleep a little later. I made it to 8:20, which was absolutely wonderful. Then I got ready for the day and headed over to her house. We went down to Rice Village so I could visit that store called A Woman's Work. I was really impressed with it. I bought a new Hooter Hider, a pump, some nursing bras, a new GlamourMom nursing tank top (love those!), and some LilyPadz (which one of y'all recommended to me). So I'm pretty much all set now! Baby Girl needs some curtains in her room and then I think we will be done.

I also ventured into Doodles (a super nice baby boutique) and somehow managed not to get out my wallet. Major self-control, people. After that we had lunch at Amazon Grill. We got s'mores for dessert and everyone must have thought we were insane for having an OPEN FLAME on our table with a two-year-old. Indeed, we ourselves felt we were insane. He handled it well though. Then we took Jackson to our church and let him play in the big indoor playland. He had a great time doing that. We spent the rest of the afternoon lounging around at Mom's house. We are back home now and Curtis will join us late tonight, only to leave again at the crack of dawn tomorrow. I think he is taking off Monday, so we will be able to make up for lost time then.

That's all for now. I need to dig my FloNase out of my purse and minister to my stubborn, stopped up sinuses. Didn't I just get over a cold?

26 comments:

Holly said...

I have never heard of Amazon Grill before--have to check that out!

What a wonderful weekend you have had! I prayed for you all, as you enjoyed time together...and for your husbands, too.

Just can't wait to see your baby girl together with Miss Clara Paige! Can't wait to know what NAME you picked either! You really should have a guessing contest or something.

Big Mama said...

I am so impressed that you showed self-control in Doodles. When my parents still lived in Houston it was always the highlight of the trip. So much cute stuff!

Sarah said...

Flonase is my best friend :)

I'm trying to think where you might've delivered when you lived here . . . all of mine were at Baylor in Grapevine, and while the hospital was okay, my OB was terrific! That can make up for a lot :) But I've heard there are some fantastic labor and delivery units at some of the Dallas-side hospitals.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!!

Melinda said...

Honey, you need to get your husband's neti pot out and use it! It was your blog about it that sent me running for one when I had my own sinus problems and I SWEAR by it now!

Just don't use it over your kitchen sink like he did, because, well, YUCK.

Feel better and so glad you had fun with your mama!

Suzi K said...

Hey Amanda,

Do you remember that wrap I had on when I met you at the Siesta Fiesta? Well, they are called Moby Wraps and they are wonderful! Aliya slept through the entire Fiesta in that thing only waking to eat and for a diaper change. I started using it early on and loved the ability to have my hands free. I could get so much done. Love that thing! I still use it now. You can use it until the baby is too heavy for you. I wish I had it with my boy's.

You can buy one already made or you can make one easily by going to Hobby Lobby (or Wal-Mart)and getting 5 1/2 yards of jersey knit cotton fabric. All you have to do is cut it in half length wise.
It makes two so you could give one to a friend. If you by the fabric you can also get really cute appliqués to iron on in the middle, with the babies initials or whatnot. I see that made like that on Esty. They are very safe/secure too, my daughters Pediatrician loved it.

I promise you they're amazing!

If you decide to get one these are the wrapping instructions.

Here is how I wrap mine!

This is not me in the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O78_qhy2eQ0&feature=related

R said...

oooo! you can use flonase when you're preggy? i totally need to look in to that!! i'm dying of allergies!

amen on the cluster births...i have 3-4 friends giving birth this week too! the next boom is april-may, then july-august for me.

a huge reason i don't blog more is trying to filter through my thoughts too. you do such a lovely job of remembering all that you did over long periods and writing fun wrap-ups, though! i admire that.

Deidre said...

Sounds like a great (busy) weekend. When both of my girls were about to be born, I could NOT stay home. The thought of being homebound for weeks kept me motivated to get out :)

Kelly @ Love Well said...

On top of everything else VVPG has to deal with in her 9th month, it seems like stuffed sinuses shouldn't be one of them.

Glad you're having a good weekend, even without Curtis. Having parents nearby is such a blessing.

(Loved your post about "not looking back" by the way. I never had a chance to comment, but boy, do I remember those days. When I was pregnant with Natalie, I remember saying to Corey -- in sweet, blissful, ignorance -- "I don't think I've really gained weight anywhere but my stomach!" He was standing behind me at the time and shot me a look that spoke VOLUMES!)

The Wootens said...

All my friends have had babies in clusters, too...I have about 8 friends due in Jan & Feb this year...my favorite was my most, shall we say, "modest" friend, who started to, um, "hurt" a little last Sunday night. She went to the hospital for the Dr. to check her. He said she was still at 3 cm (like she'd been for 2 weeks), and to go home and walk, and then come back to the hospital after her contractions had been consistent for an hour. She followed those directions, and when her husband dropped her back off at the hospital door and went to park the car for the second time, she felt a strong "bathroom" urge, so she quickly ducked into the ER restroom. Turns out, that "urge," was her sweet little guy's head--EMERGING! She delivered then and there on the ER bathroom floor. That sounds almost as fun as going into labor while on a Texas roadtrip! :)

Anonymous said...

NETI POT! You just flush that nose with the "teapot" all the LPM ladies were using last year! If you can breastpump...you can NETI! Praying for you

Lauren said...

Hope you're having a great weekend, glad you had such a good time over at Bibby's :) :)

creative gal said...

Glad you had a nice weekend with Bibby! :o) Can't wait to meet the new little one! So sorry about the Cold. Hang in there.

Erica said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Missy said...

Girl - that sounds like the perfect day! I hope you get to enjoy some down time tomorrow. :)

Andreea said...

LOL about your flonaze! I can understand...I sometimes feel like those of us who live in the south have to deal wit sinus thingss constantly. Congrats on the self-control in Doodles. Yay! Hope you feel better soon!

Amanda said...

About the Lilly Padz (sp). I had a friend that bought 2 sets and used them from the moment her milk came in. That was 3 months ago. She said that they loose their "sticky" because of her strong let downs...and they aren't absorbent, so she had to have a burb rag ready to "catch" the milk so that it didn't make a mess in her lap. She suggested that a mom would use them later...after the milk drops and let downs weren't as strong. I LOVED Lansinoh's disposable pads because they were larger and didn't show through my clothes and they were the most absorbent. Well, there's my 2 cents.
I'm super excited about baby girl's arrival!

Andreea said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Fran said...

I'm so glad you have had such a good time this weekend with your precious Momma. I remember carrying flonase with me ALL THE TIME. I slept in the chair at night and that crazy stuff saved my life.

Praying for you Amanda. Praying for that beautiful Harper.
Love,
Fran

Marla Taviano said...

What a wonderful date weekend with Mom! I got all happy just reading about it!

Toknowhim said...

Wow, four of your friends all had babies... It sounds like you had a wonderful week, and hang in there as you await Baby Girl. Blessings

bethany said...

Sounds like a fun weekend! So glad that Bibby took the mister over night so that you could get a little more shut eye!
Sorry about that cold...that's just no fun...I say bypass that yucky netipot...that is just gross! Your Flonase will do the job!
I had my niece Kensley yesterday and we had such a fun day(check the blog there is a post about our day)...all I can say is that 4month olds are so sweet and oh so much fun!
Oh...and about baby girl...I had a dream a few nights ago that you named her Eve!?!?

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great weekend. Sleeping in is super and 8:20 is awesome for a mommy. :)
Congrats on the baby girl.

Vanessa said...

I have been reading your site for awhile now, but because I didnt have a blogger account I never said hello. I just created one and I thought now was a good a time as any to introduce myself. I also wanted to let you know that your little boy is absolutely adorable!

Marlos ACE said...

I came on over here from another blog I was enjoying. Little ones are so fun.. youngest is 12 now,teenagers are fun too...somedays :) Man, I wished they had those hooter hiders when mine were babies. 8 years of nursing, it would have come in handy!!

Lindsee Lou said...

Sounds like a fun/productive day! And who better than to spend it with your Mom! I know I keep saying it, but, you're so close! I know you know that, but I am just so excited for you to bring home a little girl so soon.

katiegfromtennessee said...

Aww, that baby girl on Sunni's blog was cuteness!:)...Whoa, didn't know Curtis was doing some studies, will pray:)...boo, cold, boo:)...ew, yeah, good point, baby deliverin' at home is good...FUN! Ya'll had some blessed shopping adventures, and got some new Little Momma gear, love it:)

katiegfromtennessee