Monday, March 22, 2010

Oh Splendid March

Is it Monday already? I normally welcome Monday so that I can get my house back in order and slip back into our routine, but I wasn't quite ready for our great weekend to pass. I'll start my recap at Thursday.

My sister flew in from Atlanta on Thursday morning. Curtis had taken the day off, so I left Jackson home with him and took Annabeth to meet my mom, dad and sister at La Madeleine. Jackson ran some errands with his daddy and got a haircut. For some reason he reminds me of Ricky Schroder when he gets his hair cut. Adorable! That evening I had to get my highlights done. My roots were the worst ever and that is saying something. I think I set a new personal record for regrowth. Awful! I've felt like a new person since then.

I had reserved Friday evening for hanging out with my sister, but I found out she had plans to be at a wedding. So we called Heather's family to see if they wanted to come over and watch some of the college basketball games. Heather and Curtis are both really into March Madness. They came over and we had pizza (none was dropped in the doorway), cookies, and ice cream cake. The big kids mostly played in the backyard and upstairs and left us to chat and watch the games. Mollie Kate and Annabeth were really cute playing together downstairs. We had one game on the TV and the Duke game on the computer. Curt is a lifelong Duke fan and to his dismay, none of their games have been shown in Houston. The upside is that they are playing IN Houston next weekend and he will get to see the game(s) in person. I'm really excited for him.

On Saturday morning I went to the Barnes and Noble on Memorial for the Beth Moore and Francine Rivers book signing. Do I even need to tell you how excited I was about this? The first thing I did was buy Francine's new book. Then I went into a back room where she and my mom were both signing stacks of books for the bookstore to have. I got to give Mrs. Rivers a quick hug and then I got into a deep conversation about hair color with my sister. A few minutes later we went out into the store and the signing began. It was especially fun to see Lindsee Lou, Jen the Newlywed, and Melanie in line. My sis took tons of pictures but supposedly they all turned out horrible. Dern! Once things died down I went through Francine's line and she signed my copy of Her Mother's Hope. She was so nice and I told her how much it meant to me and how excited we were that she and Mom were doing this book tour together.

Melissa and I unexpectedly got to have lunch with the whole Tyndale crew at Escalante's before they headed out to the Woodlands. I'm on a major diet right now (yes, it has finally come to this) and it was horrible to sit in front of a big basket of chips and white queso. Ugh! And then to order a salad? Double ugh! But I've lost about 6 pounds already and that is making this worth it.

On Saturday night we asked our babysitter to come over so we could have a date night with my best friend from high school and her husband. Jennifer and Justin live in Fort Worth, so we don't get to see as much of them as we'd like. We had dinner at my most recent favorite restaurant - Gigi's Asian Bistro and Dumpling Bar. I looked long and hard at the menu, trying to bend my mind around what I could possibly order and stay on my eating plan. Then I just said, "Forget it! I'm eating like a normal person tonight!" And so we feasted. After 9 days of being very disciplined and never feeling full, it was pretty darn great!

The next morning we went to church. Curtis has been teaching the high school seniors this month, so I went to our old Sunday school class to hear my friend Emily share her testimony. It was so awesome and God-glorifying. Then I worked in a three-year-old Sunday school room. Several of my friends' kids were in there, which made it so fun. We did lots of puzzles and dressed lots of baby dolls. Does anybody else feel inadequate when they do puzzles? I'm horrible at them.

As soon as church was over, we high-tailed it out to the country to have a cookout with my whole family. We had spread out a large quilt on the ground for some of us to sit on. Annabeth would not leave the quilt and the tremendous blessing of that was not lost on me!

I just ripped these off the LPM Blog.

Here was our fire. I had a very serious talk with Jackson about it and thankfully he didn't seem attracted to it.



My daddy.



My new favorite pic of my parents.



Lissa and Colin.



No matter where he is, my dad always takes a nap after lunch. Always.



Jackson and Big Pops (my Pappaw).



Annabeth and Bibby.



Annabeth's hair is always crazy after church. She had a raging mullet, so I twisted it up and clipped it like this. Voila! Her first updo!



Melissa was helping Jackson roast a marshmallow. He was staying such a nice distance away from the fire.





Torched.





A pair of mavericks.









A pair of Moore girls.







Daddy-daughter time.



Last night the little girls from next door came over to play with Jackson. They are so precious and he was having a blast with them. I love that we are in this stage now.

I've felt like a dark cloud was hanging over me for the last couple of months, but this weekend the sun started shining again. I'm so thankful.

39 comments:

Shannon Boyer said...

Love love the pictures- what amazing family time!

Heather said...

Me, too! Bring on the sunshine!!! (Both literally and emotionally!!) I love the pics of your family's cookout! Your hair looks FAB! :)

Lindsee Lou said...

That's a bummer about Melissa's pics not turning out so well. I was holding out hope that she'd get some good ones! Especially when she told me I couldn't post the one of me and Francine because I was holding up SLI. I totally did anyway! Fail. What a fun weekend!

P.S. I literally said outloud to myself on the way home, I can't believe I was that close to Escalante's and didn't eat there. I hope your salad was at least okay!

Susie said...

Amanda, it was so awesome to meet you, your mom and Francine. I am so grateful for the time you took to visit with me and my sister at the Memorial City B&N. We had a blast!

Bobbie said...

What a great weekend and what a fun-loving family you have. I do love the picture of your Mom & Dad and the one of you and Melissa. Great memories.

We'll see y'all on Tuesday--can't wait.

Marla Taviano said...

Loved the pictures even more the second time around! Everyone's so beautiful! (and handsome)

I'm trying to wrap my mind around the fact that you need to lose weight. I don't even want to think about dieting, but I KNOW my body doesn't work the way it used to (eat whatever I want).

Tara G. said...

Wow- all of this food sounds amazing! I love the picnic photos- what a fun time! My hair needs some serious attention- I'm putting it off...it's hard enough to do it in English and I'm dreading the whole thing in another language...ugh.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you had a great weekend. You are just too precious, I think of you often and wish we lived in a city close where we could be IRL friends!

Kelli said...

What a seriously fun weekend. :)

Kristen said...

I love the pictures! So funny you worked in E's SS class. I bet that was a hoot!

Traci said...

Bless your heart that a dark cloud has been over you. Praise the Lord it has lifted. Your posts make me smile...I appreciate you sharing so much of your personal life with us.

Kristen @ Moms Sharpening Moms said...

I'm praying for more of that healing sunshine to drench you, sweet girl!

Thanks for sharing these darling pictures...super cute! When my kids are grown, I pray they love to be with their Mama and Daddy as much as you love being with yours.

God's blessings on your week!

Marc and Charity said...

Sounds like fun!

Glad that dark cloud is passing...

Heather said...

What a wonderful weekend for your family! The cookout looks like a lot of fun. We had a great time with you guys on Friday and I wish my team was coming to Houston to play, Curtis will have a blast going to the games! I love the pics of your family, the one of you and your sis is terrific!

Missy said...

Awesome weekend! I too am thrilled that spring is here!

Dionna said...

I've been trying to watch what I eat too to lose about 5lbs and darn, it IS tough! But that white queso sauce sounds dee-licious.

Heather's House said...

Love the pics! What a fun afternoon.

I had the pleasure of meeting your mom this weekend. She is such a sweet woman! I know she thought me and my girlfriends were crazy. haha!

Have a great day... :)

AKat said...

Looks like y'all had some seriously fun family time! And I'm loving the pictures, especially the one of Annabeth's up-do. Darling!

Spicy Magnolia said...

Such a fun weekend, Amanda! I loved seeing all of the pictures and hearing about your family time.

I'm still figuring out why you need to lose weight, 'cause you look absolutely wonderful to me! So beautiful you are, dear sister!! I did start WW a week and a half ago...so I feel your pain watching what you eat.

Oh, and I can't wait to hear all that you have to share about what God has been doing!! He's so good to work in us, even when it's hard. It's easier to say that in hind sight though. :) Bless you!!

Unknown said...

What great fun! I got to eat at La Madeleines when I was in DFW a couple weeks ago. The French Onion soup is ridiculously good!

Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

haha...I think I just commented on Luke's google acct...It's me now..:))

Living day by day for Jesus said...

Presh! God has certainly blessed y'all with a fab fam! Thanks for sharing!

valerie said...

You look great Amanda!

A couple of my Bible study friends and I got to go the the book signing in Southlake. We had a blast traveling from Oklahoma. God's favor was with us every step of way. I loved getting my picture taken with your mom and with Francine Rivers. What sweet women. ( I had a 5x7 printed and took it to show off at Bible study tonight) :)

I love all the family pictures. I agree....that picture of your parents is awesome. They're both so darn cute!

Glad things are looking up for you.

God bless,
Valerie

Sister Lynn said...

I am completely hopeless at puzzles. Glad I am not alone.

looks like you had a wonderful weekend. thanks for sharing!

Sister Lynn

Tabaitha said...

All of the pictures were amazing. Just when I thought one was my fav, there was another one that was just as great. I love Annabeth's first updo. Too cute!

Mary H. said...

Annabeth has grown so much! That is the cutest little outfit!
God bless!

Terrie and Carley said...

My daughter, who is 16 now,was the puzzle queen in the preschool department when she was a preschooler. The teachers handed her the puzzles and asked her to be their helper. She thought is was cool to be the helper. I do understand being intimidated by the preschool puzzles. The shapes do not fit in the normal shapes we see on a daily basis.

Molly said...

So stoked for you, the SON is shining. Would have love to have been their for the book signing. I do too adore that pic of your folks.
Quick Q: When you say "your" sunday school class, don't you go into the sanctuary with everyone? I am just curious.

Siesta OC <><

Kate Taylor said...

On a purely superficial note...the sun always seems a little brighter when one is down 6 lbs! ;)

Amanda said...

Siesta OC, on Sundays we typically go to our Sunday school (Bible study) class and to the worship service. Last Sunday I missed the worship service because I was helping in one of the preschool classes. Does that answer your question?

Molly said...

Thanks for the answer, it just threw me because every church I have ever gone to there have just been three services. And the kids went to classes, so when I heard you say that I thought, wait a minute? Thanks again.

The Reardon's said...

Amanda,
These pics are PRECIOUS! The one of your dad's boots are so cute and your grandpa is ADORABLE! Love the pic of your parents as well. Want ti give you a big hug!! Love ya girl.

Lauren said...

1. Love the pictures of your family.
2. You sat in front of chips and salsa, AND you ordered a salad? Way to go! :)

Anonymous said...

Love the family pics, and I can see why that ones your fave of your parents.

Your mom looks so sweet and down to earth--totally relate-able, like her ministry.

Oh, love the sunglasses pic too.

Ginger

Kelli said...

I agree- bring on spring! Your family pictures are beautiful- and your hair looks great :)! I agree with Tara G. about trying to get your hair done in another language- I've messed mine up more times than I can count in both French and Arabic- it's not fair that my 6o year old mom is still strawberry blonde and I have grey galore at 35!! I've given up on getting it done in Lebanon though- it just grows between trips to the states and I've sampled plenty of over the counter colors with little luck0- ugh!

Missy said...

Isn't family what it's all about??

Stephani said...

Love, love, love the updo!! So cute. I especially love the pic of Jackson and Pawpaw. Don't you just love seeing the coming together of multiple generations. You are blessed.

love,
Steph
www.heartpondering.blogspot.com

katiegfromtennessee said...

Oh Little Momma, my roots were halfway down my head up until about a month ago:)...my man is all about TN basketball right now...a full blown diet now, I'm prayin for ya, you've inspired me to eat less french fries:)

katiegfromtennessee

melanie said...

it was fun seeing you at your mom's book signing... i wanted to tell you that you looked GREAT! you always look great, but you have lost all the baby weight and you are so tiny! beautiful you!