Friday, January 07, 2011

Missouri Holiday

On Christmas night we put our kids to bed and discussed our travel-to-Missouri plans. I was completely wiped out and the house was a disaster. Curtis wanted us to pack and leave before dawn and I just couldn't wrap my mind around getting it all done. I really wanted to cry and actually I think I might have. But he got to work and showed me I wouldn't be doing all the prep work on my own. By midnight-ish we were packed, the house was ready for my sister and Colin to move in for 12 days, and we were ready to go. We got up at 3:45 and pulled out of the driveway with the kids in their pajamas at 4:45. The kids and I slept off and on until we got to Dallas. Then I drove a few hours and before we knew it, we were in Missouri. It really helped that the kids were tired and could sleep easily.

That night we had Christmas with my in-laws, Curt's grandpa, and Curt's sister and her family. This was our first Christmas without Grandma Wanda and it was sad not to have her there. I opened up a box and found a little red apron in it. It was one Grandma's and each of the women in the family had been given one. Curt says he remembers the one I have vividly. What a sweet gift. Annabeth got a little piano and Curtis got the banjo he's been asking for. I have no idea why he wanted a banjo.



For dinner we had some Chinese take-out and I tried Springfield's famous cashew chicken. It's unlike any other cashew chicken you might find. So here's my conclusion for my readers from Springfield: it's good but not very Chinese! It's like a chicken nugget with gravy on it. Curtis reminded me that you don't get more American than Springfield, MO.

We enjoyed spending time with Curt's family over the next few days. One night we went to Silver Dollar City. I was not too excited about going, seeing as how we'd just been to Disney World. And in case you didn't know, Missouri is cold in the winter! But it ended up being a total blast. Jackson was riding next to me in one of the roller coasters and he was screaming, "I'm flying to destiny!" Funniest thing ever! The next day he was playing Hungry Hungry Hippos and he declared, "I'm chomping to destiny!" Where on earth is he getting that?

The babies stayed pretty happy at Silver Dollar City. Again with the popcorn!


Here's a cuter picture of them. I kept calling them the twins in my mind even though they look nothing alike. They're exactly 2 months apart.


One of my favorite things about being in Missouri during the holidays is the New Year's Eve party my in-laws host at their house. Lindsay's mother-in-law is Cozy's best friend, so we get together with them and with the rest of our family and it is like one huge clan of people. If you can picture it, we get to hang out with people we're not related to, but share nephews with. I think our kids were the only ones there without two sets of grandparents in the house.

Curt's 30th birthday was on New Year's Day and this was a fun way to celebrate. Cousin Erin even made him one of her special cakes.


Apparently Lindsay and I look like real sisters because Annabeth kept getting us confused that night. I think it's the hair. I actually think Annabeth's hair is going to be the same color as Lindsay's. We'll see!

Here's Lindsay, Erin and me.


This year we played Just Dance on the Wii. Annabeth and Jackson got really into it. Curtis even took on Lindsay, completely shocking me. He almost beat her, which is saying something because she was a cheerleader. After everyone else left, Curtis and I competed and I smoked him two out of three times.

Curt and Lindsay


Annabeth thought this bent up crazy straw was as good as a Wii controller for a while.


Gavin and his little brother, Cael. Horrible picture but you can tell they're dancing.



Lindsay and Jackson



Cael and Annabeth both threw fits because they didn't have controllers, so we gave them some that weren't being used. They had so much fun.


We had to go to the airport at 4:15 the next morning to leave for the Passion conference in Atlanta, so we called it a night relatively early. Passion will have to be its own post.

This is a major change of subjects, but yesterday was an amazing day. Our Amy, who I've described to you as my adopted big sister, had her first baby - a girl! My mom got to be with her at the hospital in San Antonio and I pestered her with text messages all day long. That afternoon my sister-in-law, Lindsay, had a sonogram and found out she is having a girl! (After two amazing boys.) Not only that, but on the same day we got word that my cousin-in-law, Mindy, is also having a baby girl! (She has one amazing boy.) I couldn't believe it. There was much celebrating going on in my house. Hooray for little girls!

18 comments:

connorcolesmom said...

That looks like so much fun!!!!
And sounds a tad exhausting to do Christmas, New Years and then the Passion conference
But what FUN! :)

My family and I watched the Passion LIVE and it was such a blessing. I loved seeing my 2 guys really get into the worship and listen intently to the speakers. I look forward to hearing what it was like in person.

Andrea said...

Okay, when you mentioned Springfield's cashew chicken - oh, the memories came flooding back. I'm a Houston girl who went to Evangel (and yes, they do have winters in Missouri, especially by Texas standards) and have never been able to find any other cashew chicken like it anywhere!

Thanks for the fun post!
Andrea Jones

Marla Taviano said...

Welcome back!! We've been playing lots of Just Dance 2. I'm pretty bad.

Wonder Woman said...

We always have to have our Springfield Cashew Chicken fix when we are back visiting family! I call it Southern Fried Cashew Chicken!

Glad you had a great time!

Tracy

rachel said...

Hi Amanda,
I love your blog! I was wondering, what products do you use on Annabeth's hair? My daughter's a little older and I would love any recommendations for shampoo/conditioner/etc.
Thank you!

Spicy Magnolia said...

Your recaps have been fun! All your comings and goings have wiped me out though. :) Have you been catching up on your sleep this week? :) Happy New Year!

p.s. Gig 'em!

Sarah said...

Looks like you had a great time. That HEOrganics outfit is amazing. I think she looks cute in her PJ's though. Thanks for sharing all the pics. You have a beautiful family. :)

And yes, as cute and precious as little boys are, there is only so much you can do with stripes and plaid and puppies and trucks. Little girls' cute outfits and hair bows have absolutely no end. I have a niece and 2 "nieces of the heart" and I'm having a hard time not spending my way into bankruptcy for them!!! :)

Jennifer said...

SO much fun!!! It looks like everyone had a blast! Congrats on all those baby girls! How exciting.

Blessings!

Karen said...

Hi, Amanda! So glad you tried our cashew chicken...I would have to agree with you though! I actually stick with the sweet and sour chicken. I have to travel for the holidays as well so I understand the joy of waking up in your own bed. :)

Marc and Charity said...

Is Annabeth wearing stirrup pants, ahem, trousers? SOO cute! Glad you enjoyed your vacay!

Kristen Keeling said...

I've connected with Erin through your blog & let me say that I am loving her blog! :) I'm seriously debating whether or not her cakes can be shipped to Georgia. She is so talented. And thanks for the tip with the bent up straw as a Wii controller. My little girl, Esther Grace, is 15 months & I'm going to give it a try. It's worth a shot!

Lauren said...

My gosh, girlie, you had such a busy Christmas! Hope you are rested by now. :)

LAURA@laurasblondemoments said...

Hey Amanda-

I'm a new follower of your blog and have really enjoyed reading your posts and you seem like a GREAT person! I have a son named Ryder who is the same age as Annabeth so it's nice to see someone else going through some of the same things that I'm going through. (ie Wii remote- we do the SAME thing ha!)

Btw- LOVED Annabeth's Christmas outfit, adorable!

doo-dah said...

Your post about cashew chicken brought back many memories, I went to college at SBU in Bolivar and made many trips to Springfield to soothe my craving. Also, Silver Dollar City is one of my favorite places to go, I would have ate kettle corn instead of popcorn...yum.

Lesley said...

i live in springfield! in fact, i think your husband was a summer intern at the church i grew up in (fbc seneca) back when i was either in middle school or early high school. so crazy!

Shellie Paparazzo said...

Sounds totally exhausting! And people say I have loads of energy!!! Oh, my! And please tell me those are not stirrup pants AB is wearing! Please God, don't let stirrup pants come back! I'm thinking this prayer is a little late!

Traci said...

Good for Curtis for taking on some tasks to get you all on the road. That is really the hardest part and I have been known to cry too over the massiveness of packing up a family a four for a 12 day trip...much less the day after Christmas! Goodness.

Looks like you had a great time!

I personally thought those stirrup pants were perfection :-)

Brandee Shafer said...

I laughed about the chicken.

Honestly, I have no idea how I got to you. Someone who likes someone else likes you. Or something.

But I'm your newest follower because my kids are driving me nuts, and it seems like you might provide some comic relief.