Thursday, November 05, 2009

Nine Month Report

I took Annabeth to the doctor today for her 9 month appointment. She didn't have to get any shots, but she and Jackson will both get four next time. That is going to be one crazy awful appointment!

I couldn't wait to find out how much weight Annabeth had gained since I weaned her. Get this - two and a half pounds! In one month! The last time I had her at the clinic was on September 30 (right at 8 mos.) when she had those hives. At that point I found out she had gained less than a pound since her 6 month appointment and I was very alarmed. A few days later she started the formula and the rest is history. I feel so affirmed that I made the right decision about weaning her. (Remember that I was warned by her doctor to also look for a change in personality and we had definitely been seeing that. If you are thinking about weaning but don't really want to, you should talk to your doctor and/or lactation consultant.)

I learned something new today. Apparently doctors look at the wrinkles (aka rolls) on sweet little baby thighs and check for symmetry. Annabeth has one less wrinkle on one leg, which means she has been putting less weight on that hip. Weird, right? They're going to re-check it at her one year appointment. I'm not going to worry about it because the doc watched her stand and thought she looked great. Also, I nearly fell out of my chair when I realized her next well-visit would be at a year. This has gone by so fast!

Here are her stats:
Weight: 17 lbs. 11 oz. 25-50%
Height: 27 in. 40%

The kids' current pediatrician is from the Middle East and our last one was from India. Our doctors have loved my babies' blue eyes and have fussed over them in the way that we women do. That always makes me smile because they get those beautiful blues from their daddy.

In other Annabeth news, her first tooth broke through the bottom gums on Tuesday. I can't believe it took this long! I was letting her chew on my finger when I felt it. I had wondered which teeth would bust through first because the top ones had descended long before the bottom ones.

She had two little milestones yesterday. I was giving her her morning bottle when I was overwhelmed by the smell of her diaper and couldn't wait one minute to change it. I knew she would be ticked if took the bottle away, so I asked Jackson to hold it in her mouth while I changed her diaper. He obliged, but she knocked his hands out of the way and held on to it herself for the first time. It was so funny!

Yesterday was also the debut of the Baby Sister Squeal. Until then, Jackson had gotten away with taking her toys without her telling on him. (Trust me when I tell you that I have seen it and have been dealing with it.) That all changed yesterday when she finally threw a fit at him. I was rather proud of her.

Now as I'm typing Annabeth is trying to pull up on the stairs for the first time. This is the first time she's even crawled out of the living room. It's something new everyday with her. Gotta run!

22 comments:

Meg said...

I saw your blog on Kelly's Korner and I enjoy reading about your family! The baby bangs thing totally happened to me!!! I am still recovering from it...it's kind of funny. I can not believe that you mom is Beth Moore! How cool is that?! Thanks for sharing your heart... being so honest and so real....it's inspiring.

Kelly @ Love Well said...

Blogging is tough when you've got a toddler, isn't it?

Those stairs are the biggest temptation for a crawling baby.

Mary said...

That is weird about the rolls--I've never heard that! I had no idea they could tell anything by that???

I noticed my kids jumped in growth once on formula too so it made weaning less guilt-provoking. That and when my kids had formula they acted like it was a milkshake they loved it so much :)

Heather said...

I know you are so happy and relieved that she gained some weight. I thought she looked great and perfect anyway. Yay for all the milestones!! It does go by so fast!

Ashley said...

Aw glad everything went well! They grow way too fast don't they!? ;( So sweet!

Kers said...

My daughter also had one less roll on one side and by the time she started getting skinnier legs when she was walking and running it all evened out. Funny - I always wondered why but my doctor never mentioned it.

The Williams' said...

Little Annabeth is such a little doll! She is really close in age with my little boy, Gage, and they seem to be doing close to the same things. I love seeing what other kids his age are doing so that I know what I have to look forward to! Isn't it wonderful!?

Marla Taviano said...

Happy 9 Months, Annabeth! My leg wrinkles are uneven too--don't you worry!

Spicy Magnolia said...

What a blessing to feel affirmed in your decision--I'm so glad for you in that! Annabeth has sure had some big milestones lately...go Annabeth! I'm sweet on blue eyed babes myself. ;) And oh, how it does go so fast...9 months already, goodness gracious!

Kiki said...

2.5 lbs! Chunker.

Kiki said...

Oh and you teach me so many things that you learn from the doctor!

Milk, symmetry of chub lines. What's next?!

Marc and Charity said...

Way to go Annabeth and Mommy!(This is the only time in life you will be happy to gain!) :)

Chubby lines for symmetry- did not know that. Addison has one less roll on one thigh...hmmmmm

Lauren said...

YAY Annabeth!!!!!! Go girl!!! Such a big girl now, haha!!! :)

Unknown said...

Oh, I love that Annabeth has the Baby Sister Squeal going on now! Too cute! I would have loved to have seen Jackson's reaction to her fit.

Prayers and blessings,
Rebecca

Dionna said...

I love hearing about Annabeth's milestones - and again - makes me wish I was blogging when my girls were babes.
Relish it all....

Shelly said...

I'm glad she's beginning to embrace some healthy tattling :)

Mary H. said...

You are such a sweet mother!

Have a blessed day!

Kari said...

Oh, I can't wait to see if you will be proud of that sister squeal in say..... 5 more years?? :)

Jennifer said...

I did not know that about the rolls either. Keep us posted. Your mom is Beth Moore - I am so out of the loop these days. Baby Bangs happened to me too. Our daughters are about the same age. Isn't this the best age? I say this all the time though.

Missy said...

I'm glad they stop checking the symmetry of the rolls before our age. :)

Alison said...

Amanda--just wanted to reply to your comment on my blog...I can't believe how much our new house resembles your old one! Crazy! Thanks so much for commenting and keep writing, friend.:)

katiegfromtennessee said...

That's cool!:) New steps and milestones every day! That's good that baby girl is growing so well!:)

katiegfromtennessee