Monday, November 09, 2009

Rambling About Our Weekend

The sky is gray, the air is wet and a tad cool, I'm still in my pajamas, and there are toys all over the floor. Annabeth is napping and Jackson is playing with a green army helicopter toy. Curtis is back at work and our much-loved weekend guests are on the long road back home. It's another Monday morning at the Jones home.

Curt's mom and dad came to visit this weekend and we had a great time with them. They arrived in the late afternoon on Friday, bearing smiles and hugs and gifts. Jackson got a really neat scooter and Annabeth got a V-Tech Move and Crawl Ball (which is really cool in case you need to buy a present for a baby soon). That night we grilled burgers and just hung out.

My sinuses were making my face and my right ear hurt, so I took some medicine that proceeded to make me feel like a zombie. So I went to bed at EIGHT THIRTY. Curtis said that was the earliest I've ever gone to bed since he's known me and I'm sure he's right. We are typically such night owls. I remember him coming to bed around midnight and I felt like it should have been morning. Ha!

On Saturday we went to Toys R Us to get Jackson a helmet. I bought our first Christmas presents of the year without the kids knowing. We also had Jackson try out a couple of bikes because that's what we're thinking of getting him. He looked like such a big boy riding down the aisle. How is my firstborn almost four years old? Someone please tell me.

After that we went to Pappasito's for lunch. I have to say that it was the first time that restaurant has ever really bombed in the 15 years I've been going there. I guess that's pretty good for them! In the afternoon, Steve and Cozy took Jackson to ride his scooter. That night we went to Pottery Barn because that is what Cozy and I like to do together (everyone else waits in the car) and then we had dinner at Pei Wei. Yum, yum, yum. The adults stayed up late watching a movie called State of Play and it was excellent.

On Sunday morning we went to the early church service and then headed out to the Kemah Boardwalk. (Here's their web site, but be warned that a very loud song is going to greet you.) We had never taken the kids or our guests there before, so it was the perfect thing to do. We'd had gorgeous weather but of course on that day it was gray and drizzly. That may have worked in our favor because there were no crowds. We had lunch at The Aquarium restaurant and then let Jackson ride some rides. He had so much fun. Curt took him on the ferris wheel, which I would not dare get on. But later I saw a picture of it post-Hurricane Ike and the structure withstood the storm! I should be more brave next time. Curtis, Cozy and I then rode a wooden roller coaster and it was craziness! I screamed the whole time and kept catching air under my seat. That's a great ride. How dumb am I that I would do that but not the ferris wheel?

Later that night we all went to my parents' house and had some Goode Co. barbecue together. The chicken was really tender and I let Annabeth have some for the first time. She gobbled it up and kept leaning toward me for more. She also had some potato salad, but with less enthusiasm.

Mom got really excited because Annabeth reached out for her for the first time and then wouldn't reach out to me when I tried to get her back. There was much rejoicing on her part since, she said, she'd been working so hard for 9 months to earn it. Jackson was not a mama's boy but Annabeth is surely a mama's girl. That's not surprising as she comes from a long line of mama's girls.

I, too, was rejoicing yesterday because Annabeth said "mama" in my presence on two separate occasions. Mark it down! It was her first word! I proudly proclaimed to everyone within earshot that I believe I earned that.

Jackson came into our room crying this morning at 6. I thought he had either thrown up or he was scared. It turned out that the curtains had fallen down on top of him (he'd slept on the floor) and freaked him out. Annabeth also woke up at that blessed hour, so now it feels like it should be 3 o'clock in the afternoon.

I have two little Jackson stories that I don't want to forget. Jackson really likes to sleep without a shirt on, so a lot of times when we're dressing him for bed he says, "I want to sleep with my tummy." Last night he said, "I want to sleep on my tummy with my legs," which meant he wanted to sleep in just his underwear. I love his creative communication style.

This morning he came over to me while I was writing in my prayer journal and asked me to draw a monster on his hand. Usually he likes for me to draw a fish or a happy face, so I wasn't really sure what he was envisioning. I said, "What does the monster look like?" And he replied, "Like this. Rarrh!" Clearly, if I cannot draw a picture from that description, then I need some mothering classes.

26 comments:

Marla Taviano said...

Fun post! And funny, because a week ago Friday night I went to bed at 7:30pm with a nasty sinus mess (in my left ear/head). AND we had Pei Wei last night which turned out to be FREE because we waited so long for it in the carry-out area. Praise the Lord!!

Have a great week, Mama!

Tara G. said...

Love your stories of Jackson! My boy turns 4 in less than 2 weeks. Gearing up for a Cars party...

Lauren said...

Seriously, so adorable. I love your Jackson stories!!!! It's at those times you gotta love to have a blog so you can document them!! :)

Longmeadow Mama said...

Jackson's "sleeping with my tummy" comments reminded me of when my daughter was just a toddler and loved to go barefoot. She'd always go around saying, "I'm wearing feet!" To this day, many years later, we still use that phrase around our house!

Barnes Fam said...

your kids are just too much cuteness! Congrats on your first "mama"- I cannot WAIT for that!

Erica said...

Your day sounds about like ours. I am still in lounge clothes, the girls are running around in bathing suits because they want to take a bubble bath, but I refuse to let them until they clean up the MOUND of toys they have dumped out. That's what happens when we stay home. Have a great day and congrats on the "momma!"

Unknown said...

Amanda, I love reading your blog. Its one of my regular reads. I don't know if you ever read this blog or not, but if not, you might check it out. This mom and her family def need prayer.
http://www.mycharmingkids.net/

Mary H. said...

Sounds like a fun weekend! I started Christmas shopping this weekend!!
Have a great day!

Unknown said...

As your post began I wanted to ask...are you in Georgia? That's the way the weather feels today.

So sorry about your sinuses. I haven't had any sinus or flu problems but the arthritis in my knee is really acting up.

I want you to know how much I enjoy reading your blog. God blesses me so much through it.

Blessings~

Heather said...

YAY that Annabeth said "Mamma" first! :) Awesome. And both of my kiddos woke up at 6:00 this morning also. I have no idea why. Quite a start to Monday. I am thinking it is almost naptime.

Immeasurably More Mama said...

Another great Jackson story! The boy definitely has a fun communication style.

Haley said...

My little girl, who is just a few months younger than Jackson, also says she wants to "sleep with just her tummy." How funny is that?! I thought she was the only one who said it that way. We also frequently find her at all hours of the day and night with no clothes, just underwear on.

Nesha said...

Congrats on 'mama'! I still love catching my 8 yr calling me 'mommy' instead of just 'mom'. The other day I was thinking when you said something like 'Can I pretend that Annabeth wasn't getting close to 1 yrs?' a few weeks back. Well, she doesn't have to be 1 yrs if that means I don't have a hormonal preteen- lol:) They grow up way too fast!

Patty said...

I love weekends like you described. We had a wonderful weekend and we had the most perfect Fall weather. It made me happy. :)

I can't believe Jackson will be 4 soon but then again, I can't believe my oldest son turned 21 last month.

I have to share with you that today my oldest son also wanted to have a talk with me today and he thanked me for how I raised him and told me it didn't matter that he didn't have a lot of material things growing up because I gave them what matter, a spiritual upbringing and love. Made me cry. Those are times you cherish forever!

Kelli said...

I love that you and Cozy have a "thing". I am encouraged... I need to do that with my MIL.

lavonda said...

oh how SWEET with the reaching out, and then her first word being "mama" --- I love it!
brings back such strong precious memories for me of my own little girl....
How I love this time you're in right now Amanda.
So glad you're treasuring it! :)

creative gal said...

Beautiful weekend!

Purplelicious Janice said...

The ferris wheel is way scarier than a roller coaster. Roller coasters are awesome!

melanie said...

sounds like such a fun weekend! way to go annabeth *and you* saying "mama!" that is the sweetest thing in the world when you can understand some of the babbling finally!
i love jackson's story about sleeping with his tummy and legs! he is one precious boy!
i hope i get to see you soon!

Bobbie said...

What a great weekend! 'Love the Jackson stories, he's got a fun personality! BTW, you definitely earned the first "mama"! So glad Annabeth held up her end of the bargin, but I know how your Mom feels when she reached for her!

It sounds like we were in the same neighborhoods on Sunday! We usually have lunch at Pappasito's when we come in from Aggieland (that's really one restaurant I wish we had here!) but knew we had a birthday party and didn't want a big meal. We ended up in League City. We take our kids to Kemah when they come-our granddaughters love the Boardwalk.

Have a great week.

Moose Mama said...

Oh my! So many blessings in one post....family, food, fun.

Annabeth going to Bibby. Annabeth having chicken. Annabeth saying MAMA!!!! This is HUGE!! Jackson is growing up.... scooters, bikes, helmets, tummy AND legs...you're right, it's just TOO fast.

I bet your monster looked just like it was supposed to...you are a great mama!

Melana :)

Shelly said...

I'm thinking you should go for another 8:30 pm bedtime :)

Fran said...

Precious, precious, precious.

My 8 yr old still calls shorts "short pants" and I will not correct him. He's my last. ;)

Thanks for sharing your time with us.

Hugs,
Fran

katiegfromtennessee said...

Your rambling weekend was fun to read, Little Momma:) All these momma stories from you are a blessing to read:):)

katiegfromtennessee

Bobbie said...

Amanda,

I have a request. In one of your previous posts you gave us a link for your friend who makes the 'rock' tshirts, with guitars, drums, etc. I can't find that link and need a baby t for my niece's new little guy. It's perfect for him! At 4 months old they have him holding his Daddy's guitar while they practice for worship at church! I would really appreciate it if you could e-mail me at waybob@msn.com!

Thank you!

Shan and the J's said...

My Jackson calls no shirt "being in his plain skin!!" If you are as blessed as I am it will only get more hilarious and wonderful in the coming year.