Saturday, February 03, 2007

A Letter of Appreciation

Dear Hooter Hider,
I just want to say thanks for your selfless service this last year. It was one year ago that I walked into Baby Bliss and saw you sitting there on a shelf. I looked past the polka dot, Hawaiian print, and white eyelet nursing covers and found you. When I saw your label I laughed and knew I must take you home with me.

We became fast friends. Remember that first night in the hospital when I was trying to figure out the whole breastfeeding thing, meanwhile there were some wonderful friends stopping by to meet Baby? That was my first experience with you.

From then on you were my constant companion anytime I left the house with Jackson. And when we were home you waited patiently on the back of the glider, giving me joy with your brown, blue, pink, and yellow pattern. You are altogether lovely. I loved you so much that I wanted all my friends to have one just like you. I gave away lots of different ones, but none compared to you.

You and I have been through some crazy stuff together, Hooter Hider. Remember when I was in the house party for my friend's wedding and I needed to be away from 7-week-old Jackson for 7 hours? You protected my dignity when I had to do my thing in the bride's room. I thought I was safe since the bridal party was taking pictures, but in walked a group of men, women, and children. Thank you, HH, for watching my back, er, well...you kept me from curling up in a ball and crying my eyes out.

Hooter Hider, one of the silliest things I will always remember about you is how, when Jackson got older, he would reach his arm up through the opening that allowed me to see him, and wave his hand all around. It must have looked really funny. Sometimes he would grab my hair or my nose or jam his fingers into my mouth. And I would sit there and take it and pretend that it's normal to have someone's hand clutching your nose.

Anyway, Hooter Hider, I just wanted to say thanks. Jackson seems to like his whole milk, so you are hereby relieved of your duties as a nursing cover. If I were a queen I would knight you. But, honorable Hooter Hider, life is not a fairy tale and I am not a queen. So today you have become instead...my son's cape.







Mommy does know that having something around my neck is a choking hazard and of course I won't really be using this as a cape.

14 comments:

olivia and henry said...

amanda, you are HILARIOUS! i stumbled upon your blog from mutual aggie friend's blogs... i have enjoyed your stories. you are such a wonderful momma, and such an amazing writer!! angie iles (i am married to brad iles...he knows you, but i never got to know you at aTm! :(

Murrell Family said...

The HH is a wonderful invention, and I am so thankful that you introduced me to it! It has saved me many times!

boomama said...

HOOTER HIDER? Really?

Well that's just about the funniest product name I've ever heard. And I think I would be fast friends with the person who named it.

Also: the pattern is adorable, so perhaps you can use it to make a lovely skort for the upcoming spring and summer months and re-purpose the Hooter Hider as a Bootie Blocker.

Just an idea. :-)

Kristen said...

Awesome letter. Admittedly, I flipped over to your site the other day and saw the letter and thought to myself, "oh, I don't have a clue what she is talking about -- hooter hider." So I left without reading it. Sure I could have followed the link, but didn't. After a couple of hours doing other stuff I realized what you were talking about and came back to read the entry. Awesome. That's all I have to say. Great story.

Steph V said...

you're too funny. i bookmarked the website for the next go around - I wanna make sure my hooters are hidin' when the time comes!

Richardsons of HV said...

Ok...so great! I so wish the lady sitting across from us at dinner in California (with her 18 month old) had one. It would have saved some awkward look aways....

Michelle said...

I am laughing so hard! you crack me up!! i never bought one, but i sure did envy yours. next baby i will for sure get a HOOTER hider!

The Schmidt Family said...

Wow - these things have multiple purposes!! Jackson is too good act acting in that cape! He comes by it rightly - self expression and leaping aren't lacking in his genes. Brynne misses her boyfriend already!

AKat said...

Hooter Hiders!?! HA! HA! That's the funniest thing ever. (From now on, all my pregnant friends will be receiving this, for the hilarious name alone.) You write some funny blogs, Amanda. Keep it up!

Kevin and Christie said...

I saw one the other day Amanda and thought of you...it is definitely on my list of things I MUST HAVE! And I love that you can get one that fits your personality...I have shared about this great invention to many people and it is all because of you my wise friend Amanda!

Military Mommy said...

Oh hooter hider, where were you when I was trying to hide my hooters a few years ago.

I mourn for what could have been.

Michelle

Anonymous said...

I am a grandma who no longer really has much hooter to hide, but is there possibly a related product called a Booty Belittler? Amanda... you are such a hoot!

Tracy said...

my sister in law lives in Dallas and after my youngest was born they came to visit. she saw me struggle with the "covering with the flimsy baby blanket" and immediately took me online to order a hooter hider! i loved that thing!

jennyhope said...

He is so adorable it is not even funny!! I ping to put out a hair net on my little morgans head and everyone thought I was putting saran wrap on her head...okay...give me some credit. I didn't send that pic out any more. I did walk in the room and morgan was trying to put one of my bra's on...i did get the camera for that since she is 22 months...she has no idea what she is in store for down the road!