Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Fourteen Months

Dear Jackson,
You are fourteen months old now. You have definitely become a toddler since your first birthday. I couldn't, or wouldn't, see it then, but now it's undeniable. You completely stopped crawling three weeks ago and decided to walk. You have not looked back. This has made life very interesting for all of us. You, of course, love your mobility and having both hands free to pester Bill and Beckham, play with the TV remote, walk with your maracas, try to climb on the couch, or attempt to overcome the baby gate that your mother has failed to permanently attach to the doorframe. It has made life more interesting for your daddy and me in that you do not want to be held very much anymore. You practically dive out of my arms to get down on the floor.

Going out of eat has gotten hard again because the growing volume of your voice proclaims your emotions - happy and sad - to everyone around us. You get very excited about eating grapes, grilled cheese sandwiches, and french fries. You're obsessed with your bottle and if you see an empty one sitting out you get very emotional about it.

For the last week you've been putting your pointer finger to use. It's practically on point at all times. Last weekend your pointer finger discovered your nostril. That was an exciting event. This morning you offered me a piece of your cantaloupe and when I ate it right from your little hand you got really tickled. Later you thought it would be fun to feed me a piece of food you were already chewing. I appreciate your giving spirit, but I'll just let you keep that, Son.

This afternoon we were running errands in the car and I put your little sunglasses on you. For the first time in your life you left them on your face more than 2 minutes. In fact, you still had them on when we got home. You were so cute I could hardly drive for wanting to look back at you.

Your mommy and daddy are head over heels in love with you. You bring tons of laughter to our lives every day. For example, we were waiting in line at Fuddrucker's and you were in Daddy's arms. You were whining because you wanted to get down, but a pretty lady walked up behind us and suddenly you made a face that clearly portrayed your intent to captivate her with your good looks and charm. But, honestly, there's no need because you have both your parents completely captivated. We love you so much.
-Mommy

15 comments:

Military Mommy said...

What a sweet little boy you have. And what a fun yet exhausting stage. :)

I love the pointy finger bit - it brought back such memories for me of that stage with my wee ones here. At times, the pointy finger even surprised them. It was as if they couldn't get it to stop pointing! :)

Hope you are well. You've been in my thoughts / prayers.
Love, Michelle

Holly said...

What a very blessed boy Jackson is to be loved so very much...May God continue to bless your family...you're all often on my mind as I think of the fullness of your week and the emotions that have run the gammit. You guys are loved!
In Him,
Holly

Jackie said...

That is too sweet... enjoy each moment, they go by quick. Sara just turned 2 and I barely remember what it was like when she was crawling (how sad). Now we get to listen to her hillarious "parroting" abilities in copying everything we say. Like the other day, I had her up at my work after school let out (I am a teacher) and she was proudly walking the halls like she owned the place. A few ladies stop to say Hi to her and she kept on walking and proceeded to say "shake, shake, shake your booty" as she shook hers and walked down the hall. I used to play with her while she was taking a bath and tell her "shake, shake, shake" when we were drying her off. Hadn't done it in a while, but apparently she still rememebers :-) I learned my lesson on what to say and what not too- even when I am playing. Enjoy every moment- they change by the day!! Take care, Jackie

Tracey said...

How sweet and what a wonderful thing for him to read when he gets older.

Hope your family is doing well. Have had you in my thoughts and prayers (and your mom too).

Steph V said...

are they not precious?

discovering the nostrils is only the first step - picking soon follows!!

Nancy Mon said...

Amanda, Jackson is such a cutie. I love seeing the pics. Your new profile picture is wonderful too. I caught Curt on the Hub video podcast. CM says there is more interview to come.

debra parker said...

so sweet.

Anonymous said...

I have a little boy that was born Feb. 11th, 2006 so ours are very close and a totally empathise with what jackson is doing. I admit, I am a lurker through Boomama, but when I read this I had to tell you that I think this is so much FUN!! Hard sometimes, but fun.
EBrew

Nise' said...

I love it that your wrote a letter! Oh, just wait you will have much more to write to him as time goes on. I wrote letters to my kids in their baby books (pre-blogging days). My daughter (22) loves to read the letters! The boys (19, 15) aren't too interested yet, but they will be, hopefully. Then again, they might not be interested in them until they have a special woman that is.. oh such fun things to look forward to. I love your profile picture.

Sunni at The Flying Mum said...

That's a precious letter to Mr. Jackson. I love it!

life with the wisners said...

first of all, that is so incredible. i have been writing letters to my kids on their birthdays. i can't imagine how much fun it's going to be for sweet jackson. and what a great, creative mommy.

this is totally unrelated. but if you have a chance, would you email me? i had a question for you. janetwisner@verizon.net

Sarah said...

This is so sweet it makes ME want to be your son! Just kidding :)

What with all the birthday party hullaballoo (or however you spell it!) at our house, I'm all weepy over sweet posts like this! That said, I'm not at all looking forward to my girl walking!! :)

Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

I find things I wrote to my children in old journals and it just floors me how fast it went by! I never thought I would forget our everyday life but the details do escape you unless you are intentional in chronicling them. What a precious piece of family history you've just written!


:)
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Amanda, you must cherish each and every moment because, believe me, when you get to be my age it is hard to remember the little things your children do (mine are grown and gone). I have a hard time even remembering my grandchildren's precious moments and the youngest is only 2 years old. Jackson is so very sweet and one of the most photogenic children I have ever seen. I love that you share his "raisin" with us. I just want to sqeeze those precious little cheeks.

Anonymous said...

You've made me a little weepy!