Sunday, April 29, 2007

Trading Traits

One unavoidable thing about close family relationships is that you take after one another in various ways. My hubby really doesn't like eggs. Now, he would never turn down eggs at the expense of someone's dignity. We all have those things that we will not eat no matter who we offend, but this isn't one. In fact, God has actually given me favor in this area by causing my husband to like my scrambled eggs. So I made breakfast tacos last night. The last time I tried feeding scrambled eggs to my son was three months ago. He hated them. But I thought he would have forgotten this unfortunate preference by now. So I sprinkled a good amount of cheese on the eggs and put them on Jackson's tray. Ha ha, silly woman! I will not eat these eggs! I even tried pouring some syrup on them (don't judge - it's tasty). No luck. He's taking after his father.

Today I watched the NFL Draft with Curtis. Don't even ask me why. I was horrified by the barbaric placement of the camera in front of Brady Quinn and his girlfriend during their anguish. I had a million questions about the whole process and ended up a little captivated by the whole thing. So I think I might actually try to watch it again with him next year. And do you know what else? I recently listened to his sports radio show in our car for ten minutes before I realized it wasn't my normal station. So I might be absorbing some of my hubby's interest in all things ESPN.

Tonight we went to Chili's with our friends Daniel and Amy. They are moving far, far away in a month and we needed some face time with them. I ordered a grilled chicken sandwich with fries and a side of ranch. There is nothing better than Chili's fries and ranch. However, my husband has a severe distaste for ranch and even smelling it or looking at it too long makes him gag and act like a junior high girl. It's almost like a small panic attack. Jackson was holding a french fry in his hand and what did he do but DIP IT IN THE RANCH. One after another after another... That's my boy! And guess what, Curtis? Your son likes pickles too!

15 comments:

Military Mommy said...

I have tried the "wheat germ" in pancakes, etc. They always know. I don't know how - the stuff is like sawdust it's so fine and you can't taste it! :)

So I understand about the "traits." I'm glad he likes pickles. Chick fil A sandwiches just aren't the same without the pickles. ;)

Michelle

Anonymous said...

I too watched the draft yesterday, but what captivated me the most was Steve Young's face. How much surgery /botox has that man had???

debra parker said...

that is what kids are...the best of both worlds.

Janelle and Ella said...

I am so suprised that you watched the draft all day. You definitely get the gold star for best wife of the day! I try so hard to watch it with Heath every year, but I just can't. It's the most boring thing in the world to me. However, my radar does go off when there is drama in anything, so I was interested in the Brady Quinn situation.

Eliza said...

Isn't it funny how they get their own tastes? Noah hates eggs too. Sometimes I am just amazed at how "human" they are becoming! Their own tastes, helping you get them dressed, doing things and looking at you to see if you notice. I love it.

Jackie said...

You have to LOVE genetics!! Sara likes alot of stuff that I do.. including lima beans and pickles, both which make Mike gag!
As far as ESPN goes, we've been married 3 years and I still have not adjusted to all things sports that he adores!! I will attend live games with him, but that is as far as I go. Have a good sunday!

boomama said...

Girl, you get you a little sausage in that egg and syrup mixture, and your mouth will have a party.

:-)

Jen said...

You and I could share a meal any day! Syrup on eggs and ranch on fries (or anything for that matter) are in my top 10! :)

kittyhox said...

Ranch used to make gag, until I was cajoled into trying a friend's ranch dip, which has become one of my favorite foods.

Her secret? You just keep adding dill until all the -YIKES!- of the plain ranch is gone.

It's like ranch lite. Now every time I make it I add less dill because I like the ranchier taste more and more.

Just a thought... :)

C:M:W said...

I also watched the draft.... poor brady. I felt as if I needed to crawl through the TV and kick some bottom.

Anonymous said...

Amanda....
I absolutely LOVE Chili's fries and ranch! It's some of the best ranch dressing around! Glad to find someone else with this strange addiction!
Hope you guys are doing well!

Big Mama said...

Chili's ranch dressing is one of my essential food groups.

Steph V said...

LOL! Don't worry Amanda, Curtis will be thanking the ranch before long. At some point toddlers go through a "don't like anything" stage when it comes to eating. The only thing we could do to get JD to eat was smother it in ranch!

On the other hand - I HATE ketchup. JD loves it. This morning I had to watch him dip his waffles (covered in butter and syrup) into ketchup. I threw up in my mouth...just a litte.

Anonymous said...

Ditto. I sat and watched the draft with my hubby too...the Brady Quinn drama got me hooked...otherwise, I would have been bored to tears. Likewise, on our way to Outback, my hubby listened to the draft on the radio...took me a while to realize we weren't on my station too! Probably b/c our 2 yr old fell asleep not long after we got in the car, which by the way is rare...very rare..., so rare in fact I had to call my mom and then my sister to tell them that he FELL ASLEEP IN THE CAR...only after I made my calls did I realize my hubby was listening to ESPN radio!

Sarah, TN

R said...

Me and the kiddo may just have to go to Chili's for lunch now...the power of suggestion!

Though I do love their fries & ranch, the only thing I love more there are their tortilla chips, dipped in the ranch, THEN dipped in salsa. I could eat it for breakfast right now!