Saturday, April 21, 2007

My Grandfather's Homegoing

With a tender heart I sit here thinking of a way to write this next sentence. The Lord welcomed home one of His good and faithful servants today - my grandfather and my mom's father, Al Green. He suffered a massive stroke yesterday and died peacefully this morning with his precious bride and my aunt Gay by his side. Family members from all over the country are making their way home to say goodbye. Please pray for us as we spend the next few days together to cry, to say goodbye, and also to celebrate a life very well lived. Please especially remember his wonderful wife Madelyn in your prayers. They have spent the last eight years together fiercely in love and having great adventures.

Curtis asked me about some of my favorite memories of my grandpa and I'd like to share my answers with you. I'll just go ahead and tell you right now that I call him Daddaw. I know it's weird, but it was my first word. Okay, now I can get started. When I was a little girl, Nanny and Daddaw had a big backyard with a huge vegetable and flower garden. Somehow Daddaw managed to build a relationship with a swamp rabbit who regularly visited their garden to nibble on Nanny's plants. He would go on the back porch and whistle and call out, "Thumper!" Sure enough that big ole bunny would come bouncing into the back yard. He would even let Daddaw hold him and feed him carrots. As an animal lover, watching that happen was one of the thrills of my childhood.

My very favorite memory was from the time Daddaw let me tag along with him to a soup kitchen. My dad had killed an elk that year and our freezer was full of more meat than we could ever eat. We loaded the meat into the car and took it to a place where Daddaw regularly served called Loaves and Fishes. It was such a neat experience to feed the homeless with my grandfather. I loved seeing him serve so selflessly and diligently. I will never forget how the other men treated him with so much affection and respect. I knew he was a big part of their ministry. I got the same feeling yesterday when I sat in his hospital room and visitors were streaming in and out to love on him and Madelyn. They are both so well loved.

The thing I will take most from my grandfather's legacy is that you never retire from serving the Lord. He served with all his might until the end of his life. He was always willing to take any opportunity the Lord presented. That is something I would like to keep in my heart and remember. One day, God-willing, when Curt and I are old and gray and the only expectation the world has of us is to retire and do whatever we please, I want to remember my grandfather's example. I want to be completely poured out on my last day.

Thank You, Lord, for giving me the chance to know my Daddaw. Thank You for the souls he fought for and the blood he shed in World War II and Korea, for the family he raised, for the church members he loved, and for the underprivileged he served. And thank you for all the memories.

26 comments:

Nancy Mon said...

Amanda,
Lisa P called me yesterday afternoon and told me of your grandfather's stroke. Roy and I have thought and prayed for you so often in the past hours. I got to speak with your Daddaw once many years ago when Peggy and I were doing something funny on your mom for Dayspring. He was a joy to visit with. Our continued prayer are with you and your family.

Paige said...

Amanda,

You and your family are in our prayers and thoughts. What a wonderful memory you have of you Daddaw! A beautiful legacy of faith...could we ask for anything more?

Kelli said...

I lost my dad two years ago this August to cancer. He was 77.

He lost both his parents when he was 9 to heart attacks, married at 18 to someone who ran around on him and put a gun to his head at 25 because it was too much. When the gun failed to go off, he figured he would give God a chance. His wife left him at 30 cause he was "into God) and he remarried my mom.

That man populated heaven until the day he was too drugged against the pain. That is all he lived for.

Sounds like my daddy may have a new friend to sit and talk with. That gives me a happy feeling :)

I'll be praying for your family over the next few months. The hardest time are "the firsts". Remember it's ok to cry, laugh and reminisce as it comes.

He would want to smile when you think of him :)

Holly said...

'Praying for you sweet Amanda, as you go and spend time together as a family...may God use that time in a way that exceeds all your greatest hopes and expectations. That's my prayer, as I spend time alone today.

I saw your Grandpa once on a video...your Mom had him hold some cards.

'Praying also for each one you mentioned, and again praying that God will do something exceptional during the time as a gift!

With much Love and sorrow for your loss,
Holly

Shelly said...

My heart is overwhelmed for all of you Amanda...going before His throne. Grateful we have an able God of comfort, tenderness, sufficiency, and power.
(((((hugs))))) in Him

Big Mama said...

Amanda, you did him proud with these memories. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Vernon & Amber said...

amanda, our family loves yours so much. we are so sorry for your loss. we are praying for each of you as you mourn. If you need anything, just call! love you!
Thanks for sharing your memories with us.
amber & vernon

dreamingBIGdreams said...

Amanda,
I have lost both my grandpa's and know the pain that goes along with that. It is hard to know they are gone, but a peace will come over you knowing that he is now with our Father and will never be sick again.

God bless you and your family.

Military Mommy said...

Sending lots and lots of hugs and prayers to your sweet family. Enjoy the time spent remembering your Daddaw with your family, your memories are definitely honey for your heart. We're all thinking of you.

Love, Michelle

Alicia said...

Amanda and Curtis- I will definietly be keeping your family in my prayers in the next few days. Know that you are loved today!

olivia and henry said...

amanda, thank you for sharing such sweet memories and loving words about your grandfather. i will be thinking about you and your family, and praying for you these next several days. much love to you, angie iles

PandaMom said...

Praying for you and your family.

boomama said...

What a blessing that you were able to know and love your sweet grandfather...and that you have those memories to pass along to Jackson. Praying for you and your sweet family - and rejoicing at the rich legacy of faith that your Daddaw left behind.

Holly said...

I went to go tell Chris and began to cry again...isn't it something how prayer and Bible study unites our hearts, so that we fellowship in your joys and sorrows?

Love,
Holly

Sunni at The Flying Mum said...

What a precious life he lived, and what a reward for Daddaw to spend eternity in Heaven. Wish I was there to give you some hugs, but I'm sure you're surrounded by love. We're praying for you guys.
love,
Sunni

Kelli said...

Amanda,

May the Lord comfort you as you mourn and may He smile upon you, as you and your family celebrate your grandpa who served the Lord and His children passionately with his whole heart and soul. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Love,
Kelli

debra parker said...

Amanda, what wonderful strands of heritage. Your memories were beautiful. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the wonderful stories of your grandpa. I'm praying these next few days will be healing and not draining! (((HUGS)))

Sharon Brumfield said...

Praying for both you and you mom. I pray that God sends in extra angelic forces for added comfort. May ya'll find that the presence of the Lord in preciously near during this time.

Anonymous said...

Amanda, I will pray for that peace that passes all understanding for you and family and at the same time thank God that your Aunt Gay was where she needed to be. Bless the Green's, Moore's, Jones' and all the members of your loving family.

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

I have been lurking here-no need to be harmed. :) I just wanted you to know i am praying for you, I just loss by great-grandmother who was a very dear woman to me and spent her whole life serving the Lord, she went home the week before Easter. Can you imagine a better Easter Sunday? I know I can't. Anyway, I am praying for you and your family. May God bless this time as you celebrate your grandfather's life

Michelle said...

Amanda,
This blog blessed my heart! My memories of my mema are so precious and I was just flooded with them. We will be praying for your family the next few days and may it be a a joy to celebrate that he is dancing in the streets of heaven with our precious Lord and Savior!
Love,
Michelle

Tammie Head said...

Sweetest Amanda,
I am so sorry about your Daddaw. He was the sweetest man. Every time I saw him or had a chance to speak with him when he was at Bible study or would call LP, I thought he was so sweet! I know all of you will miss him so much.

Know that I love you and your fam. I am praying for all of you. May the Lord gently carry your family in His tender arms as you process his homegoing.

Much love to you...
Hugs and Kisses, ♥
tammie

McClure Family said...

Amanda,
I love you so! I am praying and praying for you!
sherry

Sarah said...

Oh Amanda! I didn't read blogs over the weekend and didn't know about you Daddaw's passing. I am so sorry--you wrote about him so beautifully. I'm praying for you and your mom, and for his wife. Thank you for sharing a little bit of him with us. A man who loves the Lord fiercely is a gift to be shared.

Steph V said...

You words are precious and really painted the most lovely picture.

I'm praying for you and your family.

I'm blessed to still have my grandparents and can not begin to imagine life without them. We are so lucky to have the memories we do.